Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction's future far from guaranteed according to Atencio

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
By all appearances the Affliction 2 card was a rousing success. Over 13,000 fans packed the Honda Center to see a very good fight card highlighted by Fedor Emelianenko's dramatic win over Andrei Arlovski. Vitor Belfort's knockout of Matt Lindland was unreal. Paul Buentello gave a boxing lesson to Kiril Sidelnikov. Babalu's precision against Sokoudjou was fun to watch. And even Gilbert Yvel fighting as well he did on the bottom of a mount for three rounds, was intriguing. Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole reported that the event had a paid attendance of 8,946 with $1,512,750 gate.

Affliction VP Tom Atencio was beaming afterwards but is proceeding with caution. He threw out an interesting line during the post-fight press conference (Full audio here):

"These guys are the ones. These guys are the warriors. They put their lives on the line and fight and train hard," Atencio before a long pause. "Hopefully, there's someone out there who can give them another home and hopefully that will continue to be us."

LINK

Post #1   1/28/09 12:57:27AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I really hope Affliction - or some other promotion - succeeds (except EliteXC). A monopoly on good and great fighters leads to a comfort in exploiting those fighters (illustrated by Zuffa's actions for the last couple years in dealing with their roster and potential pick-ups).

Post #2   1/28/09 1:09:27AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I really hope it is Affliction here in the US, they need to figure out how to bring salaries down a bit though.

Post #3   1/28/09 2:27:48AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I really hope Affliction stays around.
Not because I hope they topple Zuffa or the UFC,but because "we the fans" need an alternate promotion to watch as well.
As much as I love the UFC (though my feelings towards Dana are 50/50),it's good to see something different.

Post #4   1/28/09 6:04:21AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
The economy....lol. The UFC isn't having issues with our current economical woes.
There is a reason...they know how to run a business.
Affliction needs to stop paying absurd amounts of money to their fighters.
They also need to get some people on the air who have some experience and have a clue what they are talking about.
Immense expenditures and horrid commentary.
Recipe for disaster.

Post #5   1/28/09 9:19:31AM   

tooly236

MMA Regular

Career:19-13
Chips:
I am all about free enterprise, but I truly believe that in sports, you always want somebody on top. I am sick of hearing about all this competition is good for the sport. Look at NFL, MLB, NHL they stand out, all the best players are in one forum, and we always get to see the best. Now look at boxing, need I say anymore.

Post #6   1/28/09 9:47:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
we will see how many of those 13,000 fans were give away tickets

Post #7   1/28/09 10:41:49AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

we will see how many of those 13,000 fans were give away tickets

By my math, it was over 4,000 give-aways.

Post #8   1/28/09 10:49:39AM   

Dragonscale

Forum Banned

Career:72-41
Chips:

I agree... dont spread the talent. I'd rather not see more "big time" leagues... let UFC handle the best and let the other shows handle the amatures and hasbens.

Oh wait? Isnt Affliction allready doing that? People talk about how great the affliction shows are, but all I see are washed up UFC fighters and some IFL guys.

Post #9   1/28/09 11:21:19AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Dragonscale

I agree... dont spread the talent. I'd rather not see more "big time" leagues... let UFC handle the best and let the other shows handle the amatures and hasbens.

Oh wait? Isnt Affliction allready doing that? People talk about how great the affliction shows are, but all I see are washed up UFC fighters and some IFL guys.

What are you on man?Have you even watched either one of their shows?
Affliction has had some great talent on both their cards.
How can you call AA and Slyvia washed up?
Not to mention Sobral would probably still be in the UFC if he hadn't of had his little fiasco with holding a choke too long. Lil Nog is a great fighter,along with Josh Barnett.
The problem with not spreading the talent is the fact that the UFC can not hold all the talent in the world of MMA.Not unless they begin to pay a considerable amount less.I just don't see how they could hold all the top fighters in the world.The fact is they probably couldn't,and we would miss out on a lot of great talent that wouldn't get signed.
Their will always be some top talent outside of the UFC if you ask me.

The UFC is without a doubt the top dog in the world of MMA.But Affliction has posed a few problems,if not big "what ifs" for the UFC.
Going to their webpage,their video starts off by showing Rampage,GSP,and Randy Couture.All in Affliction gear.
It's no coinsciencadence that the UFC is wanting to get stricter on who sponsors their fighters now.

Affliction has had some problems in terms of production of their shows,and the last announcing team was less than stellar,but to claim their card was full of UFC has beens is absurd.

Post #10   1/28/09 11:56:41AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by tooly236

I am all about free enterprise, but I truly believe that in sports, you always want somebody on top. I am sick of hearing about all this competition is good for the sport. Look at NFL, MLB, NHL they stand out, all the best players are in one forum, and we always get to see the best. Now look at boxing, need I say anymore.

I'm with you on this. I want to see the best against the best and you need everyone in one league to see who is actually the best.

Post #11   1/28/09 1:22:48PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Is anyone suprised?

There is still strikeforce, dream and few others.

Post #12   1/28/09 1:24:32PM   

MattHughesRules

MMA Regular

MattHughesRules Avatar

Career:710-388
Camp: Tapout or Passout
Chips:
The Aflliction card was great...actually top tier despite the production value. I am a huge UFC fan but I am more a fan of the sport in general. I really hope they can make a good run at success. A little competition helps the sport grow and helps keep the UFC honest and working hard to be better. That comment from Atencio was pretty ominous though....I have feared that they pay too much in fighter salary etc to hang around too long, but that is also how they assembled some of their big draw talent. We'll see...I hope they make it!

PS - I would like to see Fedor stomp someone in a cage though!

Post #13   1/28/09 2:36:28PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Dragonscale

What are you on man?Have you even watched either one of their shows?
Affliction has had some great talent on both their cards.
How can you call AA and Slyvia washed up?
Not to mention Sobral would probably still be in the UFC if he hadn't of had his little fiasco with holding a choke too long. Lil Nog is a great fighter,along with Josh Barnett.
The problem with not spreading the talent is the fact that the UFC can not hold all the talent in the world of MMA.Not unless they begin to pay a considerable amount less.I just don't see how they could hold all the top fighters in the world.The fact is they probably couldn't,and we would miss out on a lot of great talent that wouldn't get signed.
Their will always be some top talent outside of the UFC if you ask me.

The UFC is without a doubt the top dog in the world of MMA.But Affliction has posed a few problems,if not big "what ifs" for the UFC.
Going to their webpage,their video starts off by showing Rampage,GSP,and Randy Couture.All in Affliction gear.
It's no coinsciencadence that the UFC is wanting to get stricter on who sponsors their fighters now.

Affliction has had some problems in terms of production of their shows,and the last announcing team was less than stellar,but to claim their card was full of UFC has beens is absurd.

The problem with the ufc is they are a one man operation. I really feel that Dana has too much power. It seems like whoever fights in the UFC is at his discretion. This leads to personality conflicts and great fighters not being allowed in the UFC. the whole Rampage/Jesse Taylor disparity really showed how little structure the UFC has...

Post #14   1/28/09 4:05:12PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

The problem with the ufc is they are a one man operation. I really feel that Dana has too much power. It seems like whoever fights in the UFC is at his discretion. This leads to personality conflicts and great fighters not being allowed in the UFC. the whole Rampage/Jesse Taylor disparity really showed how little structure the UFC has...

This is the primary reason that I don't like a monopoly on an individual (as in played by individuals) sport. I'd be all for the UFC gaining sole control of the who's who of MMA if they gave fighters leverage, but they're a business and when they have the extreme financial and athletic advantage they have accumulated over time, fighters have to give into what they want in order to achieve success in a sport measured by who-you-beat. I'm pro-fighter, not pro-promotion.

Baseball, football, and basketball work really well because they're a conglomeration of teams, and each team has to compete financially and contractually for position players. (No, I don't want to see fighting contracts start getting ridiculous, but these guys should have more leverage negotiating.) The UFC only has to say "Take it or leave it."

Post #15   1/28/09 6:28:30PM