Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jens Pulver...Is It Time He Hangs It Up?

Print  
Should Pulver Retire From Active Competition?
Yes 28 51%
No 18 33%
One More Fight At Lightweight First 3 5%
One More Fight At Featherweight First 3 5%
Drop To Bantamweight For One More Fight 3 5%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Another fight, another loss, and this time Reed Harris "all but guaranteed" he's done. I think it's a fitting time to once again re-visit this subject. I honestly still think he should've quit after the second Faber fight at the latest, I respect his heart and his devotion to MMA and know it's hard for someone like him to walk away, but it was just too clear that the current generation of young talent has passed him by.

Post #31   3/7/10 8:13:50AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Another fight, another loss, and this time Reed Harris "all but guaranteed" he's done. I think it's a fitting time to once again re-visit this subject. I honestly still think he should've quit after the second Faber fight at the latest, I respect his heart and his devotion to MMA and know it's hard for someone like him to walk away, but it was just too clear that the current generation of young talent has passed him by.

I agree with you for the most part. Jens didn't even look in shape for the fight last night. His athleticism, speed, explosion, reflexes.... its all shot. It happens to old fighters.

What I disagree with though is that the "current generation of young talent has passed him by." Forgive me if I misinterpreted what you're saying but it sounds like you're inferring this generation is better than the last.

I think that the decline of stars going on right now has almost everything to do with their age and/or length of their careers and nothing to do with a lack of technical ability. If Jens Pulver was twenty five years old and had the exact same skill set he does I bet he could be champion all over again. It's sometimes all to easy to forget what we used to think of the people we now consider 'done' or 'past their prime.'

Cro Cop, Jens Pulver, Wanderlei Silva, Big Nog, Matt Hughes, Andrei Arlovski even (I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of names, I just listed the first that came to mind. All of these fighters are declining as a product of their age or because of the wear and tear that fighting has on your body.

But the best example is Chuck Liddell. I have a magazine with the cover article entitled "Can Anyone Stop the Freight Train" all about how the author doesn't think anyone will beat chuck and he'll retire on top. Same kind of thing people are saying about Anderson now a days. Chuck had all the same kind of hype that George St. Pierre, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, and Fedor have right now. Couple bad fights and a few years later everyone treats the guy like a bum. Talks About how the sport has passed him by.

I for one soundly believe that Chuck Liddell in his prime could hang with Lyoto Machida or Anderson Silva today.

Post #32   3/8/10 12:35:49AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
He needs to hang 'em up.

Post #33   5/25/10 1:16:06PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Just read what happened last night...Jens, you've been a great fighter and ambassador, you've been very good to MMA, you still love the sport, but now more than ever...WALK AWAY. Stop fighting, please. Mentally and emotionally you may still have it, but the game has really passed you by. Please don't embarrass yourself any further. Retire and focus on training fighters and perhaps broadcasting.

Post #34   8/15/10 8:15:22AM   

SST

Learning to Sprawl

SST Avatar

Career:1,187-775
Camp: Middleeasy Monsters
Chips:
I think Bas said it best. If Pulver wants to continue to fight, he needs to move to Brazil and train BJJ for next 6 months. However, it's still not going help his chin.

From previous interviews, I got the impression that he's not putting the effort in his training camps. He's got the same excuse time after time, but keeps getting choked out. Not much you can do if he has bills to pay.

Post #35   8/22/10 1:48:44AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3