Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jens Pulver...Is It Time He Hangs It Up?

Print  
Should Pulver Retire From Active Competition?
Yes 28 51%
No 18 33%
One More Fight At Lightweight First 3 5%
One More Fight At Featherweight First 3 5%
Drop To Bantamweight For One More Fight 3 5%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I said yes, because what is jens going to do, face lower competition just to gets wins. That doesnt sound like him.

Then if he does keep facing that top competition, I dont want people just building their names off of beating pulver. But its not my decision.

well said. but as far as i go if he fights ill root for him hes not boring at all and hes a good guy imo

Post #16   1/27/09 1:50:17PM   

MattHughesRules

MMA Regular

MattHughesRules Avatar

Career:710-388
Camp: Tapout or Passout
Chips:
I will never want to see Jens Pulver stop fighting. In my opinion this isn't the end of him. I think he still has the ability to draw big and put on entertaining fights. Faber is the best FW in the world....despite the loss to Mike Brown. No shame in losing to that guy twice. I would agree maybe a step down in competition would be best but I still want to see him in the cage. His title runs may be long behind him but Lil' Evil still has some bombs left in him.

Post #17   1/27/09 2:03:08PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
At 35 with all of his expierience i say no. But it has to come from Jens. He has to really want to fight, that is if he wants to win. He needs some time off to recuperate and get over this "hill" he has com against( 1 win in last 6 fights) i hope we havent seen the last of Lil Evil

Post #18   1/28/09 9:06:43PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I think he would be a great gate keeper for the featherweight division. He's been getting thrown to the wolves in his past fights (2 against Faber, and one against Garcia, the number one contender). Give him some up and comers and see how he fairs.

He's well rounded enough, but at this point not great at really anything. He brings the fight and is an entertaining fighter. He's the perfect litmus test for the division. When he starts getting destroyed by chumps, then its time to hang 'em up.

Post #19   1/28/09 10:08:53PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I love Jens, but it's about time to hang them up... I did vote for a drop to bantam though, if he could pull it off, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt all over again

Post #20   1/29/09 9:54:11AM   

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
Well put smiley. I think Jens has a few fights left. He should stop fighting Faber and get back on track with some "other" competition if you know what I mean. Jens is a fighter at heart, he should just keep training and get back in the groove. He is more than capable of doing that. Don't forget about what he did to Cub no too long ago.

Posted by mrsmiley

Man it seems crazy.
I remember back during his first fight with Penn some people were wondering if Jens was possibly the most well rounded fighter in all of MMA.
Fast forward a few years and people wonder if he should retire.

I agree with what Chuck Liddell says about the big "R" word.
If you train just as well,even if you've lost a few,you should keep going.
Never let a loss dictate whether your career is over or not.Let how you train deciede that.

Jens is possibly one of the most underappreciated fighters alive today.
I say he should fight a few more.

Post #21   1/29/09 1:14:03PM   

Bobbymma

Learning to Sprawl

Bobbymma Avatar

Career:99-58
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

ive said this same thing in several threads questioning whether or not a guy should retire: not unless he wants to. the guy is putting in a lot of work at the gym, and can still get in there and perform. the guys hes fought lately are a couple of top 10 P4P fighters(one of them twice), the #1 contender for the belt in WEC, and a guy that is headlining the next free UFC card. there arent many guys that could come out the back end of those matches without losing any of them, much less the majority of them.

so now i ask you, who are you to say he should hang em up when hes been fighting TOP FLIGHT competition his past few fights??? the first fight with faber showed that he still can compete, and well, against a guy that is in the bottom half of most top 10 P4P lists, not to mention top 3 in EVERY FW top 10.

the guy faces top flight competition every time out there, and is a threat to beat anyone on any given night, so no he shouldnt retire, not until hes good and ready to at least. lets not just look at 1-5 and end it there, look at who hes faced in those losses and cut the guy some slack.

Post #22   1/29/09 10:21:37PM   

ShoriKid

Learning to Sprawl

Career:241-140
Camp: Makotokan Yamabushi Fight Team
Chips:
Jens quits when he wants to. In his last series of fights, he has faced BJ Penn, Faber(twice) and Garcia. 2 of those fights were against top end PFP fighters. He forced Faber to a decision. Who did that last? His second fight against Faber he was facing a ton of personal issues and apparnetly asked for the fight to be postponed. WEC wanted the fight right then, so he stepped up. WEC has done more to hurt Jens record than anyone else. Losing to the champ in that decision was nothing to be ashamed of. WEC should have then put him down against the no. 3 or 4 contender and have a few fights there so he could fine tune his training before working back to a title shot.

If a couple of losses, passing 30 and a child mean its time to retire, how many loses before people are calling for BJ to retire?

Post #23   2/17/09 7:23:52AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
OK, time to revisit the original question again after last night. I now believe it's time. No more fighting, he just doesn't have what it takes for WEC anymore. I believe he does have a future in training though, stay close to the game and help up-and-coming fighters improve theirs.

Post #24   6/8/09 11:55:33AM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I think so!

Post #25   6/8/09 12:41:46PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think its his call.

I don't believe in tarnishing legacies in MMA (YET)

In sports like basketball, football, etc. ? Sure, you've already made $100,000,000+ if you have a legacy to tarnish.

In MMA ? You've probably made a million if you have a LW/FW legacy to tarnish.

Keep fighting if you need the money, as long as you/re getting your post-fight career going at the same time; whether it be training, writing, speaking, etc.

Post #26   6/8/09 1:20:03PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,399
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Been saying this since his 2nd loss in the wec, but I really think its time. It pains to watch him keep losing, even if it is to good fighters.

Post #27   6/8/09 10:37:28PM   

deezyo

MMA Regular

deezyo Avatar

Career:979-773
Camp: C.O.B.
Chips:
bring in kid and let them fight before he retires

Post #28   6/8/09 11:34:01PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Sorry to say but i feel he should retire. Hes a true legend. I have so much respect for him but this happens to every athlete sooner or later where it seems like nothing is going right. It feels really bad when your a fan that has been watching MMA since the early days of UFC and you kind of see a fighter make his debut and you see him make his retirement. Its like your there with them through out there career.

Post #29   6/21/09 3:57:49AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He's losing to top guys, so there's no shame in that. He pulled off a pretty awesome submission over Cub Swanson recently. When Jens starts losing to the Joe Schmoes of the world, then it's time to hang em' up.

Post #30   6/21/09 11:13:26PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3