Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jens Pulver...Is It Time He Hangs It Up?

Print  
Should Pulver Retire From Active Competition?
Yes 28 51%
No 18 33%
One More Fight At Lightweight First 3 5%
One More Fight At Featherweight First 3 5%
Drop To Bantamweight For One More Fight 3 5%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
If you ask me, yes. It seems to me like Pulver has reached the end of the road. He has now lost 3 in a row and 5 of 6. At this point I see his only way to keep going as move back to Lightweight, a drop to Bantamweight is asking too much. Plus he's got a child now (newborn), and he's 34 and going on 10 years of fighting. He's a great talent, can still draw big, but it's time to hang it up or at least take a step back. MMA and Lightweights in particular are eternally indebted to Pulver for helping them establish a strong US foothold, but he's now a distant shadow of the fighter he once was. I am one who will continue to point to the "booked to win" 48 second KO loss to Joe Lauzon as the beginning of the end. It started his current 1-5 stretch. He hasn't been the same since.

Post #1   1/26/09 7:48:51AM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i think that pulver needs to move back to lightweight or he needs to not be fighting such top people in featherweight. they're just too much for him. i still think he has some fight left in him though and as long as he is fighting, i'll be watching and cheering him on

WAR PULVER!!!!!!!

Post #2   1/26/09 7:55:15AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
He needs to stop fighting the cream of the crop imo. He should take 1 or 2 more fights against mediocre opponents so he can go out with a W and pick up a little dough to support his family.

Post #3   1/26/09 8:16:10AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
IMO, yes.

Post #4   1/26/09 8:46:19AM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
Yes I think the Faber Rematch showed this. He could be a good coach though IMO

Post #5   1/26/09 9:07:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
ive said this same thing in several threads questioning whether or not a guy should retire: not unless he wants to. the guy is putting in a lot of work at the gym, and can still get in there and perform. the guys hes fought lately are a couple of top 10 P4P fighters(one of them twice), the #1 contender for the belt in WEC, and a guy that is headlining the next free UFC card. there arent many guys that could come out the back end of those matches without losing any of them, much less the majority of them.

so now i ask you, who are you to say he should hang em up when hes been fighting TOP FLIGHT competition his past few fights??? the first fight with faber showed that he still can compete, and well, against a guy that is in the bottom half of most top 10 P4P lists, not to mention top 3 in EVERY FW top 10.

the guy faces top flight competition every time out there, and is a threat to beat anyone on any given night, so no he shouldnt retire, not until hes good and ready to at least. lets not just look at 1-5 and end it there, look at who hes faced in those losses and cut the guy some slack.

Post #6   1/26/09 9:22:50AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

ive said this same thing in several threads questioning whether or not a guy should retire: not unless he wants to. the guy is putting in a lot of work at the gym, and can still get in there and perform. the guys hes fought lately are a couple of top 10 P4P fighters(one of them twice), the #1 contender for the belt in WEC, and a guy that is headlining the next free UFC card. there arent many guys that could come out the back end of those matches without losing any of them, much less the majority of them.

so now i ask you, who are you to say he should hang em up when hes been fighting TOP FLIGHT competition his past few fights??? the first fight with faber showed that he still can compete, and well, against a guy that is in the bottom half of most top 10 P4P lists, not to mention top 3 in EVERY FW top 10.

the guy faces top flight competition every time out there, and is a threat to beat anyone on any given night, so no he shouldnt retire, not until hes good and ready to at least. lets not just look at 1-5 and end it there, look at who hes faced in those losses and cut the guy some slack.

Post #7   1/26/09 10:23:46AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I said yes, because what is jens going to do, face lower competition just to gets wins. That doesnt sound like him.

Then if he does keep facing that top competition, I dont want people just building their names off of beating pulver. But its not my decision.

Post #8   1/26/09 10:24:52AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cowcatcher

I couldn't agree more. Its similar to when Dan Henderson came to the UFC and lost to both Rampage and Anderson back to back and people started to question his relevancy. Of course this is a little different but Pulver hasn't had an "easy" fight yet. Garcia is fighting for the strap next, Faber just relinquished the strap, I mean this is top of the heap competition.

Post #9   1/26/09 11:22:09AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Chips:
I say no, he's 34, so he's getting older, but not there yet. Like said previously, it's up to him. He's still a force, just not at the top anymore.

I thought the question of "relevancy" was pretty rude by the dude doing the post-fight interview. I thought that was going too far, disrespectful directly after a fight.

Post #10   1/26/09 11:26:19AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

I thought the question of "relevancy" was pretty rude by the dude doing the post-fight interview. I thought that was going too far, disrespectful directly after a fight.

thats a fantastic thing that i forgot to mention, who is this clown (who probably has a degree in comm arts or some other bs major and never has been in the cage or ring himself) to ask jens a question like that??? i was furious when he said that, but as usual jens was all class, you might not think hes the best fighter in the world, but you cannot deny that he is 100% class and handled himself better than 99% of the population would had they been asked that about their relevance in a chosen field right after a hard day at the office.

Post #11   1/26/09 11:33:22AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,662-1,458
Chips:
He's at the point where he probably should hang it up because he doesn't really have alot more to prove. He will probably never be a champion again, so I don't see how relavant he is anymore.

That said, I think if he has the will and desire to keep going then more power to him.

Post #12   1/26/09 11:39:27AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by scoozna

thats a fantastic thing that i forgot to mention, who is this clown (who probably has a degree in comm arts or some other bs major and never has been in the cage or ring himself) to ask jens a question like that??? i was furious when he said that, but as usual jens was all class, you might not think hes the best fighter in the world, but you cannot deny that he is 100% class and handled himself better than 99% of the population would had they been asked that about their relevance in a chosen field right after a hard day at the office.

I'm glad you caught that too, I was yelling at the TV as well.

Post #13   1/26/09 11:44:19AM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
WAR JENS PULVER

so much respect for that guy

stick around jens.......please!

Post #14   1/26/09 11:59:28AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Man it seems crazy.
I remember back during his first fight with Penn some people were wondering if Jens was possibly the most well rounded fighter in all of MMA.
Fast forward a few years and people wonder if he should retire.

I agree with what Chuck Liddell says about the big "R" word.
If you train just as well,even if you've lost a few,you should keep going.
Never let a loss dictate whether your career is over or not.Let how you train deciede that.

Jens is possibly one of the most underappreciated fighters alive today.
I say he should fight a few more.

Post #15   1/27/09 6:32:55AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3