Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Perfect Fighter?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kublakhan

Learning to Sprawl

kublakhan Avatar

Career:19-20
Chips:
If you were a mixed-martial-artist and you were highly proficient in two fighting styles, what combination would make the most complete and dominant fighter?

Example: Boxing and Judo, Wrestling and BJJ, etc.

Post #1   3/21/07 3:10:18PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
This the perfect mesh of Kickboxing and Sambo.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 3/21/07 3:18PM server time by madmarck
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/21/07 3:17:34PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Blah, we've done this with 3 fighting styles before.

If you have that KO power I'd say Boxing (to put some technique behind that power) and Wrestling (to know how to keep it standing and not get pushed around on the ground).

If you don't have ko power I'd go Sambo (get them down) and BJJ (sub them).

Post #3   3/21/07 3:23:12PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
watered down karate for the win!

Post #4   3/21/07 6:33:17PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
there is no combo for a perfect fighter...it depends on the fighters discipline in their techniques that make them better

Post #5   3/21/07 9:13:59PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
My Brain in Tito Ortiz's Body

a smaller head though..

naw,but seriously...i would have to go with BJ Penn with Top knotch Tito Ortiz type conditioning

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 3/21/07 10:27PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/21/07 10:25:29PM   

tyo

MMA Regular

tyo Avatar

Career:437-274
Camp: North End Submissions
Chips:
tae boe
and under water basket weaving

Post #7   3/21/07 11:43:42PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

a smaller head though..

naw,but seriously...i would have to go with BJ Penn with Top knotch Tito Ortiz type conditioning

BJ with conidtioning could rule at 155 and 170 division. Too bad he doesnt train long enough b4 his fights.

Post #8   3/22/07 7:27:02AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

a smaller head though..

That's funny, I some times think what fighters are total opposites, and the real big one that always stands out to me is Tito and BJ. Tito is all about cardio and strength despite lacking KO power and any expertise on more than 1 MMA fighting style while BJ is on the other end is a gifted athlete who is well versed in a good amount of styles but doesn't come in fight with good shape.

That fusion would be unstoppable... it could give all weight classes a run for its money.

Post #9   3/22/07 10:38:15AM   

tyo

MMA Regular

tyo Avatar

Career:437-274
Camp: North End Submissions
Chips:
BJ penn is the man, he's gonna come into his next fight in top shape. put a whoppin on jens pulver, then snatch the belt from either sherk or franca

Post #10   3/22/07 10:03:01PM   

wkm311

MMA Regular

wkm311 Avatar

Career:66-37
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
If there was a person with the perfect mix of styles, I think the guy would look kinda like this...

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #11   3/24/07 5:33:17PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well, obviously different styles work for different people. You should probably narrow it down to the styles that have had the most impact on MMA: Boxing, Kickboxing/Muay Thai, Wrestling, JJ/BJJ...and perhaps Judo. The rest is pretty much a wash. Others styles may have impacted MMA in some very minor ways, but the aforementioned disciplines are by far the most effective. I'm not going to consider Sambo, since it is a hybrid style...and almost a mixed martial art within itself.

Obviously the perfect fighter would be well rounded, hence needing a background in a striking and grappling discipline. Deductive reasoning will tell us that Kickboxing/Muay Thai is more effective than boxing. I would have to side with Muay Thai as the ultimate stand-up game, as it allows for a wider spectrum of striking. If you want to go one step further, the Dutch technique would rank number 1.

The grappling portion is a little more difficult to debate...and there is probably not a good general answer...but would be better anwered based on the fighter's skill on their feet. First off, JJ could probably be eliminated in favor of BJJ as it is more refined. It is definately a close race between wrestling and BJJ. We have all seen some excellent Judo practitioners in the ring/cage, but it is not as easy of a transition to MMA as the other two(also, wrestlers usually have better conditioning than Judo folk, but that's a completely different debate)...so I will have to put Judo in 3rd place behind the front-runners...and yes I consider Karo Parisyan an exception to the rule. If one has a strong enough striking game as well as a very strong wrestling game, one can utilize a sprawl and brawl technique as Liddell has perfected so well. Obviously if either of those areas of lacking, then that approach will only work some of the time. In comes the ground and pound...very effective for the good grappler/moderate striker. The only problem with that approach is you can get caught against a BJJ practitioner. The other side of the coin is that a BJJ expert would have to be strongest in the guard in order to be effective against a wrestler. Considering all of this I would have to consider wrestling and BJJ a tie for the ground game.

In sumation, if the question was to name 3 instead of 2, this would have been an easy question to answer...Muay Thai, BJJ, and wrestling to fill the gap (Chute Boxe definately know what they're doing). Unfortunately, we can only have 2 here...so I'll have to call it a tie:

1. Muay Thai & Wrestling
1. Muay Thai & BJJ
3. Muay Thai & Judo

Post #12   3/24/07 7:52:36PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
This question has been asked ten times over and it's always a dumb question. The fighter has a lot more to do with the outcome of a fight then styles do. That being said, I think RoboCop dominate.

Post #13   3/25/07 1:27:12PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
i think muay thai is overrated just a little. but if you want to be the best striker/GnP'er well then obviously its Kempo or Sambo with an extreme wrestling ability.

Post #14   3/25/07 9:05:09PM   

kublakhan

Learning to Sprawl

kublakhan Avatar

Career:19-20
Chips:
If you don't want to answer the question, then don't answer it. It must not be so dumb since you took time away from your rocket science research to reply.

Post #15   3/26/07 1:50:08PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2