Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

DREAM Announces Featherweight GP, Offers Kid 1st Round Bye

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
FEG recently announced the plans for DREAM in 2009, starting with a Featherweight Grand Prix beginning at DREAM 7 in March. To help boost ratings and give him a chance to heal and fight, DREAM reportedly will offer Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto a first-round bye in the event.

Article

Post #1   1/25/09 4:29:25PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
excellent news!!!

Post #2   1/25/09 5:03:53PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I hope he takes the bye and participates!

Post #3   1/25/09 5:13:51PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i always thought the word was "buy" instead of "Bye" ????

but anyways, great news. finally kid comes back into action with a long lay off. hope hes 100%

Post #4   1/25/09 5:30:14PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
How can you guys think this is good news? The dude is an awesome fighter, but all respectability concerning this tournament was tossed out the window when they gave Kid an automatic bye. Can you imagine if they did this at the Olympics? And people wonder why Japanese promotions don't have the credibility they want.

Last edited 1/25/09 7:55PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   1/25/09 7:53:49PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

How can you guys think this is good news? The dude is an awesome fighter, but all respectability concerning this tournament was tossed out the window when they gave Kid an automatic bye. Can you imagine if they did this at the Olympics? And people wonder why Japanese promotions don't have the credibility they want.

Well considering he is K-1's champ he probably deserves a bye, not to mention he's a huge draw. Sorry Dream doesn't do everything right like the UFC.

Post #6   1/25/09 8:36:41PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

Well considering he is K-1's champ he probably deserves a bye, not to mention he's a huge draw. Sorry Dream doesn't do everything right like the UFC.

I don't think Warglory said anything about the UFC in his post, but back to the point at hand... I have to agree with Glory on this one because no matter what your accomplishments in the past, you should never be allowed an advantage over your competition because of it. It doesn't matter that he is K-1's champ, Dream is MMA and they shouldn't be pandering to any one athlete, something that the UFC is be guilty of too. It just seems shady, no matter how much I can't wait to see him in the ring again. WAR kid all the same though!

Last edited 1/25/09 9:07PM server time by fizzle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/25/09 9:06:21PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fizzle

I don't think Warglory said anything about the UFC in his post, but back to the point at hand... I have to agree with Glory on this one because no matter what your accomplishments in the past, you should never be allowed an advantage over your competition because of it. It doesn't matter that he is K-1's champ, Dream is MMA and they shouldn't be pandering to any one athlete, something that the UFC is be guilty of too. It just seems shady, no matter how much I can't wait to see him in the ring again. WAR kid all the same though!

Well he seemed to be implying something, anyways. K-1 is MMA to, K-1 hero's. It's not really an advantage, since it won't take place on the same night anyways.

Post #8   1/25/09 9:19:02PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Chips:
well the reason he gets a buy is because he will still not be ready from his injury in time for the 1st round, not because of what hes done in the past

Post #9   1/25/09 9:38:19PM   

basbylivershot

Learning to Sprawl

basbylivershot Avatar

Career:828-450
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Oh it's bye - hehe - it would be so awesome if Kid could make it for the 2nd round

Post #10   1/25/09 10:20:15PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

well the reason he gets a buy is because he will still not be ready from his injury in time for the 1st round, not because of what hes done in the past

It's bye, not buy. Like good-bye (i.e. he won't be there), not like they're 'buying' him a spot in the next round.

And I don't think that this is a good idea, but didn't they sort of do the same thing with the LW GP by not even having half of the guys announced in the tourney until the second round?

Post #11   1/25/09 10:43:40PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
if he doesnt accept the invitation hell still be brought in as an alternate when someone gets injured and fight the next round in time.
Happens almost every tournament.

Post #12   1/26/09 12:00:22AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by loller90278

It's bye, not buy. Like good-bye (i.e. he won't be there), not like they're 'buying' him a spot in the next round.

And I don't think that this is a good idea, but didn't they sort of do the same thing with the LW GP by not even having half of the guys announced in the tourney until the second round?

thanks for the correction. and yes, for the LW tournament caol uno got a BYE for the first round

Post #13   1/26/09 12:24:24AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

I really didn't intend to make any references to the UFC, I just generally don't like the way Japanese does business. It's way more about entertainment than running a proper sport.

Post #14   1/26/09 12:28:04PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

I really didn't intend to make any references to the UFC, I just generally don't like the way Japanese does business. It's way more about entertainment than running a proper sport.

There is a big difference between North American MMA and Japanese, but I don't see why this is worse than anything that either UFC or PRIDE/DREAM has done. They are giving their most popular fighter a bye in the first round of a tourney so that he can compete. How is that worse than giving Randy a title shot at HW? Is either that atrocious? And why does this make you dislike the way the Japanese "does business"? Is it all Japanese that you feel have subpar business practices or just the ones involved in MMA?

Post #15   1/26/09 12:50:22PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2