Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Emelianenko Floors Arlovski With One Punch In First Round

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
TSN.ca (Canadian press)

Post #1   1/25/09 1:14:18PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
It was the only punch he landed.

Post #2   1/25/09 1:33:52PM   

ThePitbull1

Banned

Career:53-24
Chips:
IMO Andrei is not going to have much success as a pro boxer...
Freddy Roach needs to get out of the MMA picture

Post #3   1/25/09 2:01:55PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
Yeah; so much for Roach being any help to Andrei. I just hope Arlovski can come back from this and either come back to the UFC or something like that. Fedor's just too good.

Post #4   1/25/09 4:36:35PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Which makes it all the more impressive

Post #5   1/25/09 5:17:09PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
there are a few idiot comments on here so far.......at the end of the day fedor shocked the mma world once again. arlovski looked great for 3 and a half minutes against the top pound for pound fighter in the world then he decided to try to highlight real fedor which in return aa got highlight realed himself. you can't knock arlovski for trying something exciting to finish the fight and you can't knock fedor for losing the fight up to that point because look what he ended up doing. props to both fighters ....... they came to fight and both put it all on the line by swinging for the fences early. arlovski is still the no.2 hw in my eyes.

Post #6   1/25/09 5:50:32PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by motorboatensob

Come on you had to watch the fight as much as I like Chuck Liddell I still know when he gets his a!! whooped. It wasn't impressive it was a lucky shot how was it lucky he wasn't even looking at him when he through it. Up till the point he landed that shot he wasn't even in the fight AA was picking him a part. Being able to recognize that is the difference between a fan of someone and a nutthugger.

Post #7   1/25/09 5:55:13PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by cmill21

Posted by motorboatensob

Come on you had to watch the fight as much as I like Chuck Liddell I still know when he gets his a!! whooped. It wasn't impressive it was a lucky shot how was it lucky he wasn't even looking at him when he through it. Up till the point he landed that shot he wasn't even in the fight AA was picking him a part. Being able to recognize that is the difference between a fan of someone and a nutthugger.

Anybody who has trained for more than a day in his life would know that when you throw an overhand right you don't keep your head up and look at your opponent. Throwing your head down and to the side is where you generate the power, and if you were to keep your head up your chin would be in outer space and you'd get KTFO.

Anyway, nice try, but the point you're missing is it was the right punch at the right time, and its not often that people who train their entire lives to fight "get lucky". Generally it's something they see, because.. you know.. they've been putting in the work for the last year upon year upon year to see that stuff.

Andrei looked fantastic, and he was doing what I thought he might do- stop Fedor on the way in with crisp boxing combos. I still picked Fedor in rd 1, though, because just like Fedor apparently knew I figured Andrei was prone to making mistakes. What did he do when he got Rothwell in the corner like that? Jumped and threw a flying knee. Fedor waited, and capitalized. That's what good fighters do.

Oh yeah, people who know their **** also know what an overhand right looks like

Last edited 1/25/09 6:13PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/25/09 6:10:32PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by cmill21

Posted by motorboatensob

Fedor has been "lucky" too many times to just write this off. He has never been submitted or knocked out. Just accept the fact that he is the best ever.

Post #9   1/25/09 6:44:01PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

So Nogueria got lucky against Cro Cop? If every fighter that loses for what 3 minuets max wins and is labeled as lucky then there are alot of lucky guys out there.

Post #10   1/25/09 6:56:48PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I find it funny because this happens all of the time. Fighters frequently get outpointed for a while and then come back with an amazing finish and no one ever chalks it up to luck... Was alan belcher lucky against Kang or did he pull of a BEAUTIFUL submission when given an opening to do so?

Was Scott Smith lucky when he ate that liver shot and answered it with a brutal KO or did a good fighter simply capitalize on a huge opening?

This happens ALL OF THE TIME. It never has anything to do with luck, it has to do with a person who trains basically their entire lives to recognize mistakes and take advantage of them instantly.

Post #11   1/25/09 7:08:16PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:
Calling it a lucky punch is a bunch of crap, you could see Fedor recognize the opening when Arlovski drops his hands. Fedor didnt look great before that but all he needed was one mistake by Arlovski.

Post #12   1/25/09 7:53:42PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

He wasn't even in the fight, AA was picking him apart??? Clearly you have an agenda here.....discrediting Fedor and his abilities the obvious objective. Even if logic doesn't apply to your argument whatsoever, you remain persistent. However an avalanche of knowledge and reason has caved your argument in......nice work peeps.....By your logic Cote was owning Anderson Silva then too....LOL not one muffin Arlovski threw had any effect on Fedor. So being a head on points 3 minutes into the first round because of activity doesn't qualify as dominating. Dominating is an overhand sledgehammer that clips your opponent in mid air and leaves him drooling on the mat unconscious.

Post #13   1/25/09 8:39:41PM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,622-1,069
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I though after AA was sleeping on the mat all the Fedor haters would be silenced. Once again I was wrong to assume such a thing.

Post #14   1/26/09 2:16:30AM   

SaskQUATCH

Going to UFC 111 next Baby!

SaskQUATCH Avatar

Career:803-496
Camp: BUSH League Brawlers
Chips:
I watched the fight over 10x in slow motion and 1/5 of AA strikes actually connected with anything. Also the only real two strikes that really connected Fedor was to his left bicep and the front body kick that lead up to the KO. I believe when Fedor stated he was fine I believe him as he was put in more difficult situations than this and came out of it on top. Also AA always has ups and downs he is back on his way down again for awhile and I am sure he will come back up.

Post #15   1/26/09 3:00:03AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3