Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fedor Emelianenko: Fight was even until I knocked Arlovski out

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
For a brief moment during Saturday's "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" main event in Anaheim, Calif., Fedor Emelianenko (29-1) looked almost human.

Apparently frustrated by the effective striking, long reach and rapid speed of challenger Andrei Arlovski (14-6), Emelianenko looked wounded in the corner, and "The Pitbull" smelled blood.

Then suddenly, and with little warning, a crushing right hand flattened Arlovski and immediately returned Emelianenko's mystique. During the post-event press conference, the Russian champion said that despite appearances, he was firmly in control throughout the 194 seconds he needed to destroy the world's second-best heavyweight.

LINK

Post #1   1/25/09 12:39:39PM   

JoeySteel

MMA Regular

JoeySteel Avatar

Career:1,364-991
Chips:
listen.

He was calm in the corner, and had been trying that way over the top shot a few times.

He knew he would catch him coming in, he knew it clearly. (I THINK)

Arlovski was doing well, but it was nothing new for Fedor.

Post #2   1/25/09 1:02:39PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
What ever there was no way the fight was even if you ask me Arlovski was doing everything right to whoop Fedors a!!. Fedor didn't look calm he wasn't in control and wasn't landing anything, he even got rocked once or even twice. Arlovski did just what Uriah Faber did made a bad mistake when he was not just wining but dominating the fight. Fedor couldn't take him down he couldn't hit him and was on his way to being KOed so yes he was dominating the fight.

Post #3   1/25/09 1:18:59PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,715-1,505
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

What ever there was no way the fight was even if you ask me Arlovski was doing everything right to whoop Fedors a!!. Fedor didn't look calm he wasn't in control and wasn't landing anything, he even got rocked once or even twice. Arlovski did just what Uriah Faber did made a bad mistake when he was not just wining but dominating the fight. Fedor couldn't take him down he couldn't hit him and was on his way to being KOed so yes he was dominating the fight.

Arlovski was winning the fight, but on his way to KOing Fedor? I doubt that.

Post #4   1/25/09 1:22:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by motorboatensob

Arlovski was winning the fight, but on his way to KOing Fedor? I doubt that.

Had Arlovski not gone for that knee and kept Fedor back in the corner, I am confident he would have KOed Fedor. Fedor had no answers for Arlovski's speed and reach.

Post #5   1/25/09 1:51:02PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

I agree and his defence was a well timed Chris Leben haymaker. JK

Post #6   1/25/09 1:51:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by JoeySteel

listen.

He was calm in the corner, and had been trying that way over the top shot a few times.

Of course it was new for Fedor, Fedor has never been tested like that, not even by CroCop.

Post #7   1/25/09 1:52:24PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
I think Fedor was losing...and if Andrei didn't get careless and impatient he would have knocked Fedor out cold.
If you didn't see Fedor dazed, bewildered and in trouble.....you need to take the idiot shades off.
Arlovski clearly controlled the fight and was well on his way to a mega upset.
Fedor is beatable for sure.

Post #8   1/25/09 2:01:44PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Hm. His reaction was outstanding. That wasn't a haymaker, he stepped into the punch and turned it over and he did it really really fast.

I had AA to win the fight and I was excited about the way he was fighitng but I never saw Fedor in serious trouble. I lost money on this one but 26 straight wins is no fluke. He's fought everyone there is to fight except Cotoure and some of the new guys. Until someone actually BEATS him and doesn't just look decent against him===until they get KTFO maybe we should treat his performances with a little respect. It's kind of like criticizing Tyson for taking 2 rounds to KO someone.

If you make a mistake with Fedor he will sub you or KO you. That makes it really really hard to fight him. Could AA have KO'd him? Maybe but you have to take risks to KO someone and you just can't seem to take too many risks with Fedor. Maybe someone could fight him with a plan that uses distance, striking, and countering his looping shots, and stuffing clinches and takedowns, to take him to decision win.
but it's not like he hasn't fought top tier strikers, BJJ guys, wrestlers, and kickboxers. He's fought them all....and the bodies hit the floor.

Respect Game.

Last edited 1/25/09 2:14PM server time by EliasG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/25/09 2:13:44PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Even fight my arse. I wouldnt say Andrei was dominating, but if the round had of got to the end, it would of been scored in favour of Andrei.

Post #10   1/25/09 2:20:57PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I watched the post-presser and he actually said he didn't feel like he was in danger. But he didn't have AA in danger either. That's probably why it was taken as the fight was "even"

I don't think he was at all talking about points for the judges.

Post #11   1/25/09 2:30:36PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I'll be interested to see where Arlovski chooses to go from here... I would love to see a rematch. I almost feel there was an opportunity to dethrone the King last night, and AA just couldn't make it happen. I was very surprised by what I saw last night. The way AA controlled the stand up, and even pushed Fedor to clinch with him through precise striking, The fact that Fedor couldn't get AA down said a lot about how this fight would go if it was taken into deeper waters. I just feel like if they met again it just wouldn't have the same wow factor to it. We now know that AA's striking is enough to back up Fedor from his relentless and impassive assault on the HW division, its just a shame that AA got caught. I picked Fedor but about a minute in I was worried for him a bit, really though that was short lived as my wonder increased... that someone would finally be able to stop that Russian Murder Machine. Props to Fedor for the win.

Post #12   1/25/09 2:41:15PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Arlovski was winning that round until he got knocked out it wasnt even. Im not too sure what fight everyone was watching but Arlovski looked pretty good until he got rocked. Fedor always finds a way to win no matter what, dude is always so calm in the ring. Arlovski looked good but I knew it was only going to last for so long!

Post #13   1/25/09 2:57:14PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by JoeySteel

listen.

Of course it was new for Fedor, Fedor has never been tested like that, not even by CroCop.

Fujita had Fedor way worse off than Arlovski did. To me it looked like Fedor was getting the feel for Arlovski's speed. He looked flustered, that's why he clinched with him for a minute or so. I think he was calm in the corner, he got straight kicked, knocked back up against the ropes. And Arlovski made a very cocky mistake, going for a flying knee and ate canvas for it. Well I guess he landed on his forehead, not his mouth.

Fedor is with no question the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world.

Post #14   1/25/09 2:59:38PM   

im2fast4u1981

MMA Regular

im2fast4u1981 Avatar

Career:254-142
Camp: Team Xtrem Mma
Chips:
Fedor was loseing the fight arlovski was using his tools and doing well....but in the end arlovski and his glass jaw hit the mat...... Fedor is just that damn good.... I love watchin guys get cocky in fights cause it usually backfires...maybe he shouldnt have threw that knee

Post #15   1/25/09 3:01:46PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4