Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: BJ Penn surprised that Georges ‘Hamburglar’ St. Pierre isn’t using steroids

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
It's just pure jealosy on the part of BJ. Matbe if he spent more time on the tread mill and a little less time talking he would have a better body as well.

Post #31   1/25/09 1:32:44PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Sometimes I stop and wonder why BJ is one of my least favourite fighters of all time, and then I see something ridiculous like this to remind me. All he does is talk ****. Yea, he beats guys up too, but he needs to shut his mouth. GSP is gonna tool the **** out of him, and then all this **** he is talking is gonna go flying out the window.

Post #32   1/25/09 11:33:27PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
Normally I would say this is over the top and disrespectful, but I believe BJ is doing it for a very good reason. Normally people talk **** to hype the fight and get more ppv buys, making themselves more popular, but I think BJ has a different angle in this one.

GSP had a mental lapse in his first fight with Hughes, and again when he faced Serra, and the outlook he expressed in the countdown with the whole "I train hard in the fear that my opponent trains harder than me". That is a good point of view in one sense, but it's also a highly negative point of view, and generally negatively themed opinions are easier to test than positive ones. If you take a frightened or negative point of view and someone comes in and applies pressure to you your thought process is more likely to be negative in nature. "oh **** I was wrong" "oh **** he trained harder than me"

I think BJ is just trying to make him angry to throw him off of his game and it seems like it might be working with the way GSP responded to those comments. He seemed genuinely upset, whereas BJ just seems like he's playing mind games.

The biggest weakness for GSP seems to be his own thinking, by and large he is able to control it, but there have been times in the past where he has been afraid and/or overconfident. I think BJ is just trying to use his emotions against him because he sees that other people have gained an advantage by manipulating his feelings. It seems like a really good idea to use psychological warfare against a fighter like GSP.

Post #33   1/26/09 12:41:52AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3