Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

Andrei Arlovski's opportunity of a lifetime

Andrei Arlovski's opportunity of a lifetime
Posted By Message

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career record: 1278-755
Season: 20-12 (#1209)
Bankroll: $1,070 (#1371)
3345 posts
Joined 12/07
Saturday will mark the culmination of eight years worth of challenges for Andrei Arlovski. Facing him at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” is the man generally considered to be the scariest, most talented, ruthless fighter to set foot on MMA’s canvas: Fedor Emelianenko.

For three months, this phrase has almost become a mantra: He’s only human.

A necessary reminder, of course, for a man many believe to be unbeatable.

“I thought nobody can beat me, but everybody knows that Tim Sylvia beat me twice,” counters Arlovski. “He’s a human. I guess he was prepared for all the fights very good.”

Arlovski wants the world to know he prepared for the fight of his life like no other. For three months, his web series, “Arlovski 360,” has chronicled the sweat shed for Emelianenko, along with his thoughts on facing the champion. It’s a record for him, too. Whatever happens on Jan. 24, he can look at the tape and know he did his best.

But to beat the unbeatable, the journey really begins and ends in his mind.

“I have to be mentally prepared for this fight I think the most,” he said. “I want to be the first in MMA to beat Fedor.”

Another mantra follows this wish: I will do everything possible to beat him.

Arlovski says the addition of Freddie Roach made his camp more experimental, a welcome change from the usual orbit of boxing/wrestling/jiu-jitsu, that, while necessary, gets old. Roach’s inexperience in the world of MMA shook up the well-defined play between steady coaches Mike Garcia, Dino Costeas, and Sean Bormet.

“I was really surprised, and at the same time excited, because Freddie asked me…'what can you do for example, can you kick here or punch there?' says Arlovski. "And all my trainers are here. Everybody asks each other, ‘what do you think about this?’ Everybody is on the same page, and it’s great. Freddie asks ‘what if you kick him low here or front kick here, can you punch here?’ I think so, let’s try it.”

Link

Last edited 1/23/09 2:15PM by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/23/09 2:14:22PM   

Sir_Karl
MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar
Career record: 2038-1383
Season: 41-23 (#700)
Bankroll: $2,165 (#780)
1075 posts
Joined 9/07
Anything can happen, and I think Fedor is over rated but the fact of the matter is.....Andrei is more than likely losing in Round 1.
KO or submission....it will quick and brutal.
Weather it's grimacing from an armbar, eyes bulging from a choke or legs and arms stiff from a Russian war hammer...I think Andrei is in trouble.
I would love to be completely wrong.

Post #2   1/23/09 4:23:01PM   

Wolfenstein
Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career record: 1304-730
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
3216 posts
Joined 12/07

Posted by Sir_Karl

Anything can happen, and I think Fedor is over rated but the fact of the matter is.....Andrei is more than likely losing in Round 1.
KO or submission....it will quick and brutal.
Weather it's grimacing from an armbar, eyes bulging from a choke or legs and arms stiff from a Russian war hammer...I think Andrei is in trouble.
I would love to be completely wrong.

If Fedor is overrated then why would he beat a top 5 HW in the first round?

Post #3   1/23/09 4:25:36PM   

Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in