Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mayweather vs Ocar de la Hoya

Print  
Posted By Message

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I know this isn't a mma topic, but how can you not ignore this matchup in boxing. One of the biggest fights in a loooooong time. I am for one not a big boxing fan, but I am really excited for this fight.

Thoughts?

Post #1   3/21/07 1:57:39PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I was really dissappointed in Floyd's last fight against Baldomir...

He just ran from him for the second half of the fight... I know he has the problem with breaking his hand, but it's tough to watch a guy with that much skill, just bounce around the ring and not put much of any of it to good use for more than half the fight...

With that being said, I don't think anyone realativly near Mayweather's size could beat him... The guy is just too fast, and too elusive, and his combos are just plain sick...

I think De La Hoya will put up a good fight, and if he can force Floyd to stand with him, cut off the ring, and bang with the guy, he's got a chance... Especially if he can land the left hook... Come to think of it, I've never seen Mayweather rocked and would like to see someone really take a fight to him...

Sorry about the long post... In conclusion, I'll go with Mayweather by UD...

Post #2   3/21/07 2:13:41PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Oscar's left hooks to the body will be the difference. I think Mayweather is the best P4P boxer, but DelaHoya( even past his prime) hits hard and is active enough to win this one IMo. I agree Mayweather should be the favorite , but I just have a feeling Oscar takes it. In his Prime I think Oscar would actually KO him.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   3/21/07 2:19:11PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Can't really argue with any of that... I personally have never seen Mayweather's chin tested, so there is no reason that Oscar wouldn't have the proverbial 'puncher's chance', and add that to the experience and talent that DLHoya's got, it should be a good fight...

Anyone know what weight they are fighting at? As Floyd moves up in weight, you'd have to think that at some point, he's going to bite off more than he can chew....

Post #4   3/21/07 3:51:28PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it's 154

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   3/21/07 3:57:37PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
this fight IMO will be similar to

cesar chavez vs meldrick taylor

Post #6   3/21/07 4:12:53PM   

Unkoman

MMA Regular

Unkoman Avatar

Career:578-339
Chips:
I used to be a huge boxing fan and i am so excited for this fight.
Mayweather is a 2-1 favorite but i really want to see his teeth knocked out.

Post #7   3/21/07 4:23:27PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
I also hate Mayweather,but i think he will pull it off

but Oscar has a big heart and very wise!...wisdom can beat speed anyday,its all about timing.For Oscar to pull it off he will have to do what he does best,Oscar has the better,stronger jab so he should keep that in Floyds face the whole fight.....he should stick to the body the whole first half of the fight(rounds 1-6),and hopfully slow Floyd down a bit and hopfully land some good headshots in the later rounds...

But this will be the most important issue...Who the Referee will be!!!

I hope its Steve Smoger or someone with his style at refereeing,cuz Floyd is the type that throws a quick little combo,and steps in for a clinch and waits for the ref. to seperate them,but Smoger is the type that makes you fight out of the clinch..."Punch your way out"...he's my fav. ref from them all!

so if its a shitty ref. that lets Floyd pull off those tactics i will be pissed!

i also cant believe Floyd is saying this will be his final fight,but i call bs...but if he does then its lame cuz we will never see Floyd up against any of the new up and comers like Cotto,Malignaggi,Margarito,or even a rematch with Judah

i will be pulling for De La Hoya all the way,and you never know.....this DOES seem like "The year of the Upsets" after all..

Post #8   3/21/07 9:42:29PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Mayweather is everything I hate about boxing, so I want him to lose.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   3/21/07 10:57:30PM