Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 94 - White to grant Machida a title shot if he wins

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

We wont have to worry about that as Thiago is gonna knock him out.

Are you delusional? Clearly. Machida has proven he is at least top 3 LHW if not number one. Thiago is overrated. Machida deserves the shot more than anyone.

Post #16   1/22/09 9:43:29PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Finally, thank god he finally gets a shot (assuming he wins)...which i'm like 75% sure he will.

Post #17   1/22/09 9:45:09PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

I don't believe this for 2 reasons: One, source. Two, Dana will again find a way to label Machida as too boring or similar and make him fight someone else first. Either way, if Rampage beats Jardine forget it.

he will find a way all right, he'll watch his fight.

Post #18   1/22/09 9:49:18PM   

burialchamber

Standup Guy

burialchamber Avatar

Career:287-139
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

I hope Machida gets a title shot simply because I feel that it would help to further legitamize the UFC title. If Machida gets his chance it shows that the UFC is clearly not only letting the popular fighters get championships, but rather that the UFC gives a title bout to the fighter who earns it. I know certain fighters do less work for the same reward but at least the UFC doesn't completely deny fighters their fair chance. I think it is comforting to know that if an athlete fights and wins then they can count on a title shot eventually.

Also, sometimes I find Machida to be boring, but I hope he fights and beats Evans decisively.

Well said, and I agree. The UFC relies on hype and marketing to sell fights, and if he won the belt they would have to do a lot to make Machida a marketable champion. But even if he didn't become popular, there are enough fan favorites at 205 who could fight him that people would probably buy the PPVs anyway.

I'd be happy to see him get the title.

Post #19   1/22/09 11:08:55PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Unfortunately Dana saying it this far out means nothing.

He should get it as he's the best LHW in the world and is the only one in the UFC who has a shot of making more than one or two successsful defenses. He can beat anyone in there and the higher the level of challenge to him the more likely he finishes the guy. He's not he guy who kills every can in 20secs, he's the guy who punishes them for the whole time. He shows you his skill and exactly why he's the number one LHW in the sport. Ppl used to say "who's Lyoto Machida" well this is Lyoto Machida: the best darn 205er in the world. I bet him against anyone right now. The more aggressive the fighter the more likely he finishes them. He rises to the level of top comp.

Post #20   1/22/09 11:32:27PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by casey64

I cant wait to see Machida to lose, been waiting for a while now.

Get used to waiting. This fight isn't even going to be close. Silva's aggressive style is going to get him KTFO.

Post #21   1/23/09 1:28:26AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,881-1,084
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Gipper

what about thiago if he wins?

IF he wins (he won't) then he will be one more win from a title shot

Post #22   1/23/09 1:40:29AM   

rvilla7986

Learning to Sprawl

rvilla7986 Avatar

Career:2,133-1,428
Camp: Fantasy Fight Club
Chips:
Thiago will beat Machida. I think his BJJ is well above Machida. Striking goes to the Dragon but it will get to the ground and a sub will be the end of him

Post #23   1/23/09 4:38:19AM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:

Posted by rvilla7986

Thiago will beat Machida. I think his BJJ is well above Machida. Striking goes to the Dragon but it will get to the ground and a sub will be the end of him

Based on WHAT? Who has he subbed?

Post #24   1/23/09 11:33:28AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Machida will win in another borefest...

Post #25   1/23/09 1:47:41PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,240-1,521
Chips:
Machida deserves the title shot next.
If he gets by Silva...which I think he will.
Look at the string of people he has picked off in his career and more importantly in his last few UFC fights.
Personally I think he is exciting to watch. He has a unique style to MMA, which he utilizes perfectly in the cage.
I say he beats Thiago Silva via submission similar to his Sokoudjou win.
If he fights Rashad I see his unique style and reach advantage giving Evans loads of trouble. I see Machida putting Rashad away in round 3 or 4.
Brutally too. In the same manner in which he destroyed Rich Franklin.

Post #26   1/23/09 1:48:31PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Machida deserves the title shot next.
If he gets by Silva...which I think he will.
Look at the string of people he has picked off in his career and more importantly in his last few UFC fights.
Personally I think he is exciting to watch. He has a unique style to MMA, which he utilizes perfectly in the cage.
I say he beats Thiago Silva via submission similar to his Sokoudjou win.
If he fights Rashad I see his unique style and reach advantage giving Evans loads of trouble. I see Machida putting Rashad away in round 3 or 4.
Brutally too. In the same manner in which he destroyed Rich Franklin.

You mean you HOPE Machida puts Rashad away brutally. Rashad has about the best chance of anyone to beat Machida, but he'll still probably lose. There is no way, however, that he would lose in "brutal" fashion. Machida doesn't have that kind of power. Going back to what Rogan said in the Mohr/Siver fight, Machida wins MMA matches, not fights. So the only way this would end in brutal fashion is for Rashad to catch Machida. I don't see that happening however.

P.S. For those of you who have this rediculous crush on Thiago and think that he could beat Machida... or that he has beat anyone worth mentioning... wake up. You've been sold on his badass demeanor.

Last edited 1/23/09 2:13PM server time by gsquat
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   1/23/09 2:11:31PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by the_01

I dont know about you, but I think Machida is one of the best tactical fighters in mma, only proffesional martial artists can tell you that. I truely think he desrves a title shot.

So do you claim to be a professional martial artist? What makes a professional martial artist? Since I train MMA but have not yet been paid for a fight nor been paid to coach MMA am I to assume I do not have a developed enough mind in MMA terms to come to this conclusion due to the fact that I am not a "Professional Martial Artist"? Lastly if I where to get my brother to pay me to teach him for an hr session would I then be able to come to this assumption? I promise to claim the money received on my taxes.

Well, i guess he meant that anybody knowing about stand up fighting tactics can see, that machida is an expert at this level. If you're not able to see that, then you might not understand it. If you see that, but don't like it, that's another question. Still it is absolutely enough for very effectively beating the best guys and deserving the championship belt.

Post #28   1/23/09 9:01:42PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

You mean you HOPE Machida puts Rashad away brutally. Rashad has about the best chance of anyone to beat Machida, but he'll still probably lose. There is no way, however, that he would lose in "brutal" fashion. Machida doesn't have that kind of power. Going back to what Rogan said in the Mohr/Siver fight, Machida wins MMA matches, not fights. So the only way this would end in brutal fashion is for Rashad to catch Machida. I don't see that happening however.

Machida was close finishing Hoger, close finishing Heath, close finishing Ortiz. He finished Sokoudjou. He definitely wins fights! Brutal or not..

Post #29   1/23/09 9:09:49PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:

Posted by rvilla7986

Did you watch the Tito fight? He couldn't even come close to getting Machida down .....and thats his bread and butter. Machida is going to counterpunch T. Sivas face in. That said Machida deseveres the shot and Will be King of the 205ers very soon, regning for a long time. I see a superfight between Machida and Silva early 2010.

Post #30   1/23/09 9:41:12PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3