Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rich Franklin on UFC 93 main event: "I thought I won the fight"

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Rich Franklin left his Jan. 17 UFC 93 main-event fight with two gashes in his head, nine stitches, a scratched cornea, blurry vision, a temporary eye patch and a stinging defeat.

In his first interview since the split-decision defeat to Dan Henderson, Franklin said his wounds will heal just fine. However, disappointment over the loss won't.

"Honestly, I thought I won the fight," Franklin said.

Linky

Post #1   1/20/09 5:28:33PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
both guys should say they won the fight in these cases. i thought they both looked good. i think hendo won 29-28 and not because he's one of my favorite fighters.
like i've said before there should be more draws in the ufc the hendo-franklin fight could have been one of them and also a fight i thought lytle had the upper hand in could of easily been a draw too. it's shitty that some of these guys get loses for great performances. it's been the story of chris lytle's life.
some other high profile fights rescently in the ufc that could have easily been draws:
gsp-penn
griffin-bonnar I
jackson-hendo
guida-t.griffin
ortiz-f.griffin
arlovski-sylvia III
grove-herman
bisping-hammill
liddell-jardine

Post #2   1/20/09 5:49:24PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Post #3   1/20/09 5:50:03PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Gipper
some other high profile fights rescently in the ufc that could have easily been draws:
bisping-hammill

Are you joking? Should have been a bisping loss.....

Post #4   1/20/09 5:55:58PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
It was a very very close fight and i would have hated to have to pick a clear cut winner. I want to see another awesome rivalry like Arlovski/ Sylvia, Chuck/Randy, Hughes/GSP. I think Rich/Hendo would be an awesome friendly rivalry

Post #5   1/20/09 5:58:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't know, I thought it was pretty clear that he lost the first 2 rounds. the second round was close but he still did less than Dan.

Post #6   1/20/09 6:00:24PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Sorry for Rich, but he should know how the judging in the UFC goes. Dan won on take downs, control and some ground and pound damage. Dan won the first two rounds, in the third I'm sure RIch's corner must have told him that he needed to go out there and finish it. Rich won the round on that aggression, but he's not in a position to drop Hendo, he's just too tough for that. If this fight was in Pride I bet Rich would have won, in that system the conclusion of the fight is weighed more heavily.

Nothing against Rich here, it's just there is only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185 and he could definitely beat Anderson. Hell, if it weren't for Dan being a bit undersized, compared to the massive 205's in the UFC, he could be dominant there too. The UFC loves wrestlers and the octagon is designed to reflect that bias. Quest perfected that game.

Last edited 1/20/09 6:17PM server time by kasual
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/20/09 6:16:44PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I need to watch it again. at the time i was 100 percent sure franklin won the fight. I thought it was close but I was sure franklin won the last 2 rounds and was totally surprised by the fact that they gave it to hendo. I don't see how any judge could have given franklin round one.

hopefully i can watch it again this weekend right before the affliction card starts.

Post #8   1/20/09 6:36:13PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
This was a close fight no doubt, but I think the calling was right,Hendo won.

Post #9   1/20/09 6:36:25PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by kasual

Sorry for Rich, but he should know how the judging in the UFC goes. Dan won on take downs, control and some ground and pound damage. Dan won the first two rounds, in the third I'm sure RIch's corner must have told him that he needed to go out there and finish it. Rich won the round on that aggression, but he's not in a position to drop Hendo, he's just too tough for that. If this fight was in Pride I bet Rich would have won, in that system the conclusion of the fight is weighed more heavily.

Nothing against Rich here, it's just there is only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185 and he could definitely beat Anderson. Hell, if it weren't for Dan being a bit undersized, compared to the massive 205's in the UFC, he could be dominant there too. The UFC loves wrestlers and the octagon is designed to reflect that bias. Quest perfected that game.

i think franklin won strictly speaking in a "fight" manner, but like you said, the way UFC scores thing and what not, he lost...i think he out fought henderson, although not by much at all, but henderson got more points... same as in any sport...you can outplay your opponent, but in the end, its points that win

Post #10   1/20/09 6:49:41PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
I agree with one of the dudes above me.
There definitely needs to be more draws.
A few close split decision losses could cost a fighter his career...or at least his opportunities in the big leagues.
I think Franklin won the fight though.
All Hendo did was take him down a few times.
I think Franklin won the stand up sequences, nullified Hendo on the ground and for the most part reversed or got out of Hendo's ground game.

Post #11   1/20/09 6:50:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kasual

...only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185...

Regardless of who you thought won the fight on Saturday, it was a close fight...so, I'm not sure that I would agree that Dan is peerless at 185 (excluding Anderson). If that was the case, it would have been a dominant victory. Aside from Anderson and Rich though, I don't see too many people giving him a problem in the UFC at MW.

Post #12   1/20/09 7:05:02PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kasual

...only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185...

Regardless of who you thought won the fight on Saturday, it was a close fight...so, I'm not sure that I would agree that Dan is peerless at 185 (excluding Anderson). If that was the case, it would have been a dominant victory. Aside from Anderson and Rich though, I don't see too many people giving him a problem in the UFC at MW.

I dont know i'd like to see Hendo fight Marquart I think that would be a damn good fight IMO.....

Post #13   1/20/09 7:23:56PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

A few close split decision losses could cost a fighter his career...or at least his opportunities in the big leagues.
I think Franklin won the stand up sequences, nullified Hendo on the ground and for the most part reversed or got out of Hendo's ground game.

I strongly disagree about there being more draws allowed. What should happen (I am stealing this from someone but can not remember who) is they should go to a half point system where a fighter can get 9.5 to 10 point rounds and if in the case there is a tie they should got to a 4th round to break the tie. @#$% Draws. This will benefit people who actually train correctly and we would see less of shogun and coleman gassing because everyone would train for 4 rounds instead of 3!

Post #14   1/20/09 7:39:30PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by decken

Posted by Sir_Karl

I strongly disagree about there being more draws allowed. What should happen (I am stealing this from someone but can not remember who) is they should go to a half point system where a fighter can get 9.5 to 10 point rounds and if in the case there is a tie they should got to a 4th round to break the tie. @#$% Draws. This will benefit people who actually train correctly and we would see less of shogun and coleman gassing because everyone would train for 4 rounds instead of 3!

Honestly, I don't think that either one of these options makes sense.

The sport of MMA in America needs to realize that a boxing scoring system does not work for this sport. The fight should be judged as a whole - there's no other way to put it.

Post #15   1/20/09 7:56:42PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3