Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Andrei Arlovski's boxing passion not distracting from "Day of Reckoning" prep

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
As former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (14-5) nears his Jan. 24 bout with current WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (28-1), much attention has been given to the Belarusian's legendary boxing trainer Freddie Roach.

And while Roach joined Arlovski on a recent media call in anticipation of Saturday's "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" in Anaheim, Calif., Arlovski was quick to point out that he hasn't abandoned the rest of his normal routines.

"Of course I like boxing right now," Arlovski said. "I spent a lot of time in a boxing gym, but I concentrate on everything -- wrestling, jiu-jitsu and everything else -- so I practice every night. I'm ready for standing or if the fight is going to be on the ground. I'm ready in both ways."

Arlovski had been in discussion to make his professional boxing debut in Sept. 2008. That fight didn't pan out, but speculation has since run rampant that the former UFC champ would reschedule that fight shortly after the bout with Emelianenko. Arlovski was less certain.

"I don't know," Arlovski said. "Right now, I'm focused on the fight against Fedor on Jan. 24, and we'll see what's scheduled after. But it's just what I have to do on Jan. 24. And I'm focused on this fight and I'm ready."

Some had speculated that Arlovski's 2008 departure from the organization that helped make his trademark fanged mouthpiece famous was due to the 29-year-old's desire to pursue a boxing career. Arlovski immediately dispelled that theory.

"I love boxing, [but] I am not just in UFC because of that," Arlovski said. "I am not in UFC for some other reason.

"But like I said, I'm focused right now on my MMA career and my fight against Fedor on Jan. 24. And I told you we'll see what happens after. Maybe one day it will be boxing. I cannot focus only on boxing, [but] I still have a lot to learn in boxing and that is why I train with Freddie."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/18/09 12:36:16PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
I would love to see AA win this fight.

Post #2   1/18/09 12:42:26PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar