Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua before and after UFC 93

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Coming into UFC 93 talking to Five Ounces of Pain:

“[Coleman] is a great wrestler but I think I’m better at jiu-jitsu and striking. Plus, I have better cardio. I think it’s a good match up for me in theory. I feel great. I’m well-trained, in good shape and have little weight to cut for the fight. I’m feeling fast, my cardio is good and I have been working a lot on my power.”

Following UFC 93 at the post-fight press conference:

“I stayed sidelined for one year and a half. I went through surgeries. That is not easy, and that took a lot of my conditioning. It’s one thing to train and another thing to fight. When you get back to fighting, you have to get back your rhythm. I paid a price for that, but I’m sure that by my next fight, I’ll be more prepared and in better shape, with better conditioning, to give my fans a great show.”

-Former PRIDE light heavyweight standout Mauricio Rua talks about his rematch against Mark Coleman at UFC 93 at The O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland, on January 17. “The Hammer” defeated Rua in controversial fashion at PRIDE 31 back in 2006 when an awkward landing broke the Brazilian’s arm less than a minute into the fight. Shogun’s quest for vengeance fell a bit short at Saturday’s pay-per-view despite a TKO win after a dreadful performance made it nearly impossible for any fan in attendance to believe this was at one time a consensus top 5 light heavyweight and winner of the 2005 Pride FC Grand Prix Champion.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/18/09 12:33:20PM   

im2fast4u1981

MMA Regular

im2fast4u1981 Avatar

Career:254-142
Camp: Team Xtrem Mma
Chips:
Shogun looked sad.....but he picked up the win...he better find his cardio or someone will ko him soon............

Post #2   1/18/09 1:04:28PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:

Posted by im2fast4u1981

Shogun looked sad.....but he picked up the win...he better find his cardio or someone will ko him soon............

Possibly Chuck? I wouldn't be surprised. Chuck needs a big KO sometime soon if he wants to stick around. I can't help but think he has a couple more wins in him, even though I really don't like the guy too much.

Last edited 1/18/09 1:11PM server time by colescar
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/18/09 1:11:05PM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:
Shogun is going to have to make not just a change to his cardio but a drastic one...watching him gas as fast as an old man, who through his whole career was notorious for having no gas was pretty disheartening, and not a good case for him at all

Post #4   1/18/09 2:53:04PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
shogun in UFC is somethin i could care less about watching again. He was horrible in his 1st fight and he was last night to. I just dont think he cares anymore. Cuz if you gas that quick your obviously not training the way you should

Post #5   1/18/09 3:07:16PM   

Mhunt1140

Learning to Sprawl

Mhunt1140 Avatar

Career:935-568
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
As much as I do like Shogun, unless he does something drastic fast he will get destroyed in the LHW division.

Post #6   1/18/09 3:22:20PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Let's not unload off the bandwagon just yet boys! He was just sidelined for a year and a half, and how may guys outside of Randy Couture come back at their best? He stepped in injured to fight Forrest as well, so there are some legitimate reasons why he's been less than stellar. He's only 27, a lot of time left in his career.

His performance was poor--definetely. This wasn't the same Shogun we saw in Pride, or in the recent sparring video with Junior "Cigano" Dos Santos. That guy looked like a killer, the one last night looked like a nudered pup. Just not that killer instinct we're used to seeing, and I really expected that bad blood would fuel Shogun into a fury.

I don't think you can discount Rua just yet. He's still a big factor in the 205lb division, because if he can overcome the cardio issues and go 100% for three rounds--I think he's the most dangerous guy in the division (except for maybe Lyoto).

In a lot of ways, I think Chuck Lidell is the perfect opponent to elevate Shogun's game. Shogun is at his best striking. He get's worn out by wrestlers who take him down, but this fight might never hit the ground--although Chuck has been training at ATT, so who knows--we might see a more well rounded game out of Chuck. I'm excited about the matchup. Could be better than Wanderlei vs Chuck if the real Shogun shows up.

Post #7   1/18/09 3:34:33PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'm going to try my best to judge him by the first round, which he was dominant. Could have been and adrenaline dump, I don't know but he's right, you can run on a treadmill for ever but it's much different then running in the actual marathon.

Post #8   1/18/09 5:51:03PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

shogun in UFC is somethin i could care less about watching again. He was horrible in his 1st fight and he was last night to. I just dont think he cares anymore. Cuz if you gas that quick your obviously not training the way you should

It's hard to train your cardio with blown ACLs while going through multiple major surgeries. I don't think physical injuries have anything to do with "caring".

Post #9   1/18/09 6:11:52PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Wow, go watch the cloeman post fight interview. That guy is TOUGH!

Post #10   1/18/09 6:33:55PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by Naturaldisaster

It's hard to train your cardio with blown ACLs while going through multiple major surgeries. I don't think physical injuries have anything to do with "caring".

I know he was comin of an injury, but when you have a guy in some of the dominant positions that shogun has coleman in (one the ground) i dont really think your ACL comes into play. He could have thrown punches on the ground and TKOd coleman earlier. and I think the stoppage was BS. Coleman was shootin on his legs and they stopped it.

Post #11   1/18/09 6:48:24PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
my point is just that we can't really judge off of his last 2 fights because he was injured in one and recovering from the injury in the other.

His cardio definitely wasn't up to par, I just think that it's kind of excusable given the fact that he probably wasn't able to train for as long or with as much intensity as he normally would have. I think we have to wait another fight or two before we really make a judgment, he looked pretty good in the first round to me.

Post #12   1/18/09 8:49:26PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I think Shogun needs to re assert himself as a top 205er.

Post #13   1/18/09 11:21:40PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by Aether

my point is just that we can't really judge off of his last 2 fights because he was injured in one and recovering from the injury in the other.

His cardio definitely wasn't up to par, I just think that it's kind of excusable given the fact that he probably wasn't able to train for as long or with as much intensity as he normally would have. I think we have to wait another fight or two before we really make a judgment, he looked pretty good in the first round to me.

if shogun loses that fight i would bet alot that he would be released like cro cop was. EVERYONE can use an excuse in the UFC. listen to any fighter and you hear all of them say you never fight at 100%. however that isnt a reason to make the contract hes making and look like garbage.

maybe marriage has cost shogun to lose the focus for mma he had before. he reached such a huge sucess at an early age that its very possible for him to think people will bow down to him because he is shogun. and i thought that bad loss to forrest would wake him up and we'd see a shogun that would remind us why he left pride as the #1 205'er in the world. instead we seen a guy who looked like he trained some and took time to go furniture shopping. we seen a 45 year old man give him everything he could handle. while we hope the shogun of old reappears, thats not a guarentee. and for the people who are upset with shogun getting bad reviews, well the economy is horrible and it cost someone $50 to watch that fight so i think they can speak there peace. they werent bashing him, just his performance.

Post #14   1/18/09 11:59:42PM