Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua to Main Event UFC 97

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Technomage

Learning to Sprawl

Career:92-66
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I wouldn't pick Shogun against any solid LHW's in the UFC right now. He was really terrible in the fight against Coleman and will need to improve greatly to have a chance against Liddell. When I see Shogun improve I'm ready to jump back on the bandwagon but for now I'm off.

Post #46   1/18/09 7:32:08PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by loller90278

shogun will be too quick for liddel

but seriously. shogun. stop making pride look bad and hit a treadmill for god sakes!

im picking shogun by submission.

He wasn't even quick enough for a 44 year old gased Mark Colman also he has to get Liddell down to sub him.

Shogun's takedowns are acctually damn good, he took Coleman down and you can't tell me you think Chucks the better wrestler. Also, why is everyone talking like this fight was close, IMO Shogun dominated just about every minuet of the fight lol.

Guess you didnt watch round 3 before the standup, or almost anytime the fight hit the ground. I know you like Shogun man, but comments like that are ridiculous. He fought like shit against Coleman, and although I admit he dominated the standup, that third round was all Coleman right until he got tko'd.

Post #47   1/18/09 9:16:14PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by loller90278

shogun will be too quick for liddel

but seriously. shogun. stop making pride look bad and hit a treadmill for god sakes!

im picking shogun by submission.

He wasn't even quick enough for a 44 year old gased Mark Colman also he has to get Liddell down to sub him.

Shogun's takedowns are acctually damn good, he took Coleman down and you can't tell me you think Chucks the better wrestler. Also, why is everyone talking like this fight was close, IMO Shogun dominated just about every minuet of the fight lol.

Cmill I love ya man and I have always respected your opinion, but taking down Coleman who was about to fall over by himself is no accomplishment whatsoever, and Coleman took him down damn near at will. How can you say the Shogun dominated every minute when Coleman hurt him in round one and kept the pressure on him the whole fight? Shogun got the win and deserved it, I was fine with the stoppage, but nothing was impressive about it.

I know your opinion on Liddell but he is going to tool THIS Shogun. If the Rua of the past shows up I would have no problem admitting that I was worried about it but he its going to be the same Shogun.

Post #48   1/18/09 10:52:29PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Cmill I love ya man and I have always respected your opinion, but taking down Coleman who was about to fall over by himself is no accomplishment whatsoever, and Coleman took him down damn near at will. How can you say the Shogun dominated every minute when Coleman hurt him in round one and kept the pressure on him the whole fight? Shogun got the win and deserved it, I was fine with the stoppage, but nothing was impressive about it.

I know your opinion on Liddell but he is going to tool THIS Shogun. If the Rua of the past shows up I would have no problem admitting that I was worried about it but he its going to be the same Shogun.

I didn't see coleman hurt him in round one but i'll re watch it if I can find it. I will definetly agree that if Shogun comes in and gasses like he has been then he will lose, badly at that. I just think Shogun at top form stacks up very well against Chuck in top form.

Post #49   1/18/09 11:52:20PM   

Frost_777

MMA Regular

Frost_777 Avatar

Career:988-697
Camp: TKO
Chips:
The thing about this fight is that shogun is so much more naturally talented than chuck is and if they were both in good condition then i would pick shogun to win by anything but there is something wrong with shogun wether its the surgeries and the lay-offs or maybe he lost the spirit to be a great competitive fighter but at this point i would have to go with chuck even though he keeps on losing its not because he isn't in shape it is because people have figured out his style because he never has changed it. if shogun is't ready fully chuck will finish him quickly and it will look spectacular but if shogun realizes he really is messed up and his career is over if he doesn't get his crap together then shogun will make this fight look easy.

Post #50   1/19/09 12:48:20AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

I don't think the COLEMAN factor is a good thing trying to pick this fight. Ok, don't take me wrong, I know Shogun looked horrible in that fight, and that you may consider but analyzing it like:

"if he couldn't ______ Coleman, he wont ___________ Liddell..."

is a mistake IMO.

vs. Coleman, Rd1 had some ground action, do you think Liddell is going to try to take him down? Don't think so. Rd 1 should be a stand up battle, and Shogun will have gas by then, so Shogun will have (let's say) 4 minutes of gas in a stand-up fight (assuming he doesn't go for the takedown which I don't thing he will) so it is a different scenario that this past Saturday.
From the Liddell side, IMO he's done. His mental game is gone and this is confirmed at every interview when he just wants "rematches" and "MY title back" rather than being looking to leave The Pit (where he's isn't learning anything new) and look to improve his skill set to match the stacked LHW div filled with young talent, not like the early 00's when KO power was enough for him to dominate. Inside the octagon, you just gotta beat his game plan and frustrate him (e.g. Rampage, Jardine and Rashad). You can see from these fights that when he realized that his game-plan (the same as always) wasn't going to work he lost composture looking to do something else then getting caught (or dominated=Jardine). For the Wandy fight, that was expected. Attacking-countering from both sides so he did well and won because everything went as he expected.
So, I think Shogun wins via TKO in the 1st due to Liddell's lack of mental toughness. If Shogun starts with body and leg kicks early avoiding going in an punches exchange he will get Liddell frustrated making him go for the offense just to get caught with a counter that sends him down en rote to a TKO stoppage due to strikes.

Post #51   1/19/09 11:41:57PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
what a great main event

jk

Post #52   1/20/09 1:02:12AM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4