Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua to Main Event UFC 97

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by Mycroft

Apparently no one saw Shogun get tooled for three rounds by a gassed Mark Coleman.

This is a gift wrapped win for Liddell.

It was close, but I might give Shogun the round where, you know, the fight was stopped.

Post #16   1/17/09 11:04:36PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
Shogas. I'm takin Chucky Cheese, he runs on deisel and blow.

Post #17   1/17/09 11:58:04PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by manalito

whoa whoa whoa everyone. do you people realize shogun is coming offof a 16 month layoff??? yes i agree, he wasnt back to full form tonight and his gas tank was not great niehter was his performance, but im glad he won, got his cofidence up and will be in better shape for the Liddel fight. I honestly felt at tiems that shogun didnt want to end the fight so quick, but thats just me. Anyway. i cnat wait for that fight!!! i still got shogun over chuck via knees!!!

I don't think Chuck ever let's anybody clinch with him for knees.

Post #18   1/18/09 12:09:23AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by Omega

Posted by manalito

whoa whoa whoa everyone. do you people realize shogun is coming offof a 16 month layoff??? yes i agree, he wasnt back to full form tonight and his gas tank was not great niehter was his performance, but im glad he won, got his cofidence up and will be in better shape for the Liddel fight. I honestly felt at tiems that shogun didnt want to end the fight so quick, but thats just me. Anyway. i cnat wait for that fight!!! i still got shogun over chuck via knees!!!

I don't think Chuck ever let's anybody clinch with him for knees.

Exactly

Liddell's problem is keeping his hands up against guys with big power, you have to catch him being lazy, no-one has been able to or will be able to keep Liddell in the clinch long enough to use knees.

I was ashamed to watch Shogun, it really was pathetic, he was completely gassed. Its really a shame because I like the guy but its time to realize that he either lost the magic he had or he is overrated. I hope its the magic and he gets it back because he really is a talented guy.

With that said, Liddell has his flaws and they have been exposed but they wont be by Shogun. If Shogun stands in front of Liddell like he did Coleman, he is eating canvas. I also don't think he can sub Chuck like a few have mentioned. Many have tried few have succeeded. It's either catch Liddell with his hand in the cookie jar and knock him out (Jackson/Rashad) or outwork him for the decision (Jardine).

I really think this is Liddell's next highlight reel knockout that he is past due for

Post #19   1/18/09 1:19:09AM   

masodd

BANNED

masodd Avatar

Career:283-181
Chips:
Shogun by decision. he will be in shape for this fight

Post #20   1/18/09 1:19:43AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by masodd

Shogun by decision. he will be in shape for this fight

I hope he comes in shape, for the sake of making it a good fight, but that's the same thing everyone thought would happen tonight...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Post #21   1/18/09 1:31:09AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Liddell!!! don't get me wrong shogun is bad ass, I don't mind him at all
but homie needs to get in shape cause Liddell isnt going to gas and punch his f'n head off in the 3rd

Post #22   1/18/09 2:26:47AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Shogun will get destroyed by Chuck if he fights anything like he did against Coleman.

Liddell by 3rd rd Ko

Post #23   1/18/09 4:39:21AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Lol Tuvok just don't comment on former Pride fighters, we know how you feel. They suck, never any good, they're all overrated and everyone in the UFC would kill them. I don't get it, I saw on Sherdog that a few had 10-8 rounds for Shogun, not one round for Coleman, and from what I've seen there wasn't ever much doubt. Yes he gassed, but lets have a look at Shogun coming off a win and not a 16 month lay off and 2 surguries.

Post #24   1/18/09 5:16:57AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I say Chuck will take it late in the first or early in the second.
though to be honest,I think they should do a little swap a roo.
Instead of Rampage VS Jardine and Shogun VS Chuck

I would make it

Chuck VS Jardine
Rampage VS Shogun

That would make 2 great rematches in my opinion.

Post #25   1/18/09 8:39:50AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,253
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I will be rooting for Shogun, but don't know if he can win this one. Atleast not with the conditioning he's shown in the ufc, so far.

Post #26   1/18/09 9:15:24AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
shogun is not himself anymore he gassed out again
i am picking lidell to knock him out
great co main event
this would have been a main event a year ago
how do things change

Post #27   1/18/09 9:28:29AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
OK, first off yeah it was a bad performance, but there are a few things people seem to be forgetting, or at least not taking into perspective. His last fight he fought with blown ACLs and this fight has come after a year and a half layoff, major surgery and a lot of recovery time.

Given all of that I think it's a little premature to start throwing around "washed up" and "cut from the UFC" comments. I do think that after that performance Chuck has to be the favourite, but I'm not ready to judge his overall skill based on a tune-up fight after a year and a half layoff for major surgery.

He obviously needs to train really hard and get his cardio up to snuff, but he still looked pretty good in the first round IMO. I'm not throwing in the towel on shogun yet.

I also think people are premature to talk about fighters getting cut because of how dynamic the 205 division is. Look at the entire division roster and tell me that Shogun and Liddell should even come close to being on the list of people who deserve to get cut. If you're going to cut fighters of that caliber you have a shitload of other fighters that needs to go first. Because it's so neck and neck it's a lot more common for a fighter in the top10 to take 2-3 losses in a short period of time... each of the other top contenders are all incredibly dangerous, whereas in the other divisions there is more of a distinction between fighters in the upper end of the division.

Post #28   1/18/09 9:50:42AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
shogun is gonna kick the shiz outta chucks lead leg and body, he threw some great kicks even though he was facing a great wrestler i think that was the reason he didnt throw them as often. even though chuck also has a wrestling background of sorts i dont think he'll want this to go to the floor as usual its just a case of if he can land his bombs or if shogun can fight a smart fight and just kick him until he tires ala jardine. but yeah, could go eitherway. fingers crossed he gets his gash cardio sorted.

Post #29   1/18/09 10:36:11AM   

Dtime_NBT

MMA Regular

Dtime_NBT Avatar

Career:968-670
Chips:
Shogun has looked like absolute garbage. Any solid LHW woulda but Coleman outta his misery in the first round, but Shogun maybe coulda lost that decision. Liddell has been on a slide but this is where he gets off of it.

Post #30   1/18/09 12:29:43PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4