Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Silva: ''If Machida Runs, I Run After Him

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by XblacksheepX

ortiz was pushing the pace a lot and it didn't help at all... i thought silva would might have a better strategy than that.. like maybe take machida down and g'n'p or test his jits more. standupwise silva is just lacking tactics and timing to catch machida imo.

silva brings a good chin though so i'll go machida by decision.

Maybe Silva just wants Machida to "think" that is what he's going to do...

Maybe Machida wants you to think that this is what Silva wants Machida to think....

Post #16   1/9/09 10:32:19PM   

dreius

Learning to Sprawl

Career:82-53
Chips:
Even if Silva is trying to goad Machida into thinking he will do this it will not matter. Machida will do what he always does and execute his gameplan regardless of what his opponent does. I do not know if I have ever seen someone so calm, cool, and collected in a fight.

Post #17   1/9/09 11:46:34PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by XblacksheepX

ortiz was pushing the pace a lot and it didn't help at all... i thought silva would might have a better strategy than that.. like maybe take machida down and g'n'p or test his jits more. standupwise silva is just lacking tactics and timing to catch machida imo.

silva brings a good chin though so i'll go machida by decision.

Maybe Silva just wants Machida to "think" that is what he's going to do...

Maybe Machida wants you to think that this is what Silva wants Machida to think....

Good thinking! I hadn't thought of it like that!

Post #18   1/9/09 11:47:53PM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Career:409-266
Chips:
I think the whole chase after him thing is just usual pre-fight mind games. I don't think you'll find one cat from ATT who is going to make their strategy known b4 a fight.

But s to the match i agree with jujitsufreak, i think Silva is WAYYYYYYYYYYY overrated. Whom has he really beat?

Antonio Mendes: Was making his UFC debut and had never fought ANYONE every remotly UFC-calibur legit

Houston Alexander: . Houston has a glass jaw and got beat by Eric Schafer. Not legit

Tomasz Drwal: Watch that fight than look at Drwal's record. Drwal gave him fits and both fighters gassed bad by the first rd. I know Thiago will be in condition for this fight im not questioning that but truely terrible once u realize Drwal has only beat cans (actually they might be lower than cans).

James Irvin: Not even a legit contender but this is a NC, Irvin blew out his knee...

Every name earlier than that I don't even recgonize as I don't watch alot of minor orgs (damn jobs!).

Look at Machida comp. in comparison:

Beat Ortiz: As much as i hate the dude his record does speak for itself: From fightmatrix
3rd overall for most number of wins in the UFC
1st overall number of fights in the UFC
3rd overall in number of title fight wins in the UFC
T/1st overall number of UFC Title Defenses
T/3rd overall number of UFC title bouts.

I know Ortiz now is not the Ortiz of back than, but I think if you took Tito in his prime and put him vs Machida that night even in a title fight (which Tito holds a 6-2 record at, losing only to Liddell and Couture) i still think Machida would win. I mean Ortiz was 0 for 5 on his shots and Machida was 1 for one and did alot of damage from his one (stats according to fightmetric). So I don't think Silva's going to be rocking alot of takedown's. I do hate Tito but beating him is as legit as it gets. And you can't ignore his draw with Evans. He beat him but cheating costs you, but was able to take Rashad down alot and minimize most damage till the third.

O did I mention Tito's landing percentage in the first round of the Machida fight (from fightmetric). A whopping 0%. Yep, no joke....

Beat Soko:
The man pulled a Mir (+1 even) and KO'd Lil Nog (which had also, never happened). Than he KO'd Arona, which only Shogun and Rampage had managed to do before and to this day. Than Macida happned. This fight proved something very relevant to this fight. It does not matter how hard you hit when you cannot find your target. Soko was confused and totally lost vs Machida. Legit win even though Soko does not have a great chin by any means.

Beat Kaz:
The only guys Kaz has lost to are: Lil Nog, Hendo, Wandy, Shogun, Machida, Soko, and Santiago (which from what i head he dominated the first 4 rds of that fight).

A top top level gatekeeper and Machida passed with flying colors. Legit win.

Beat David Heath:
I'm no Heath fan but it's a legit UFC win. Not one worth metioning but i did the last 4 for Silva so i figured i'd even it out. Has beat Sean Salmon, not great but at least one name which I can't say for Silva's opponents.

Then over the rest of his record he's beat: Hoger, White, Penn, Franklin, and Bonnar.

I bought into this s**t once with Huerta when he fought Florian and I read Performity's take on that fight and realized he was right, Huerta had never beat legit competion (aside from Guida) and Florian had.

This is another one of those fights (although i haven't seen Performity's take on it) and i won't be baited again.

There's no comparison, the ONLY reason anyone thinks this is a close match and the UFC even scheduled a match like this is becuase Thiago's last ame is Silva. If his name was James Irwin-Bob Joe, Machida would be like -600 in this fight. I love ATT and this is MMA and ANYTHING can happen but taking out the punchers chance all Machida all day.

Last edited 1/10/09 12:25AM server time by Diamondback2
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #19   1/10/09 12:22:18AM   

Shawn17

MMA Regular

Shawn17 Avatar

Career:733-483
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
lyoto will pick him apart from the outside then catch silva chasing him....TKO

Post #20   1/10/09 12:36:55AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Diamondback2

I think the whole chase after him thing is just usual pre-fight mind games. I don't think you'll find one cat from ATT who is going to make their strategy known b4 a fight.

But s to the match i agree with jujitsufreak, i think Silva is WAYYYYYYYYYYY overrated. Whom has he really beat?

Antonio Mendes: Was making his UFC debut and had never fought ANYONE every remotly UFC-calibur legit

Houston Alexander: . Houston has a glass jaw and got beat by Eric Schafer. Not legit

Tomasz Drwal: Watch that fight than look at Drwal's record. Drwal gave him fits and both fighters gassed bad by the first rd. I know Thiago will be in condition for this fight im not questioning that but truely terrible once u realize Drwal has only beat cans (actually they might be lower than cans).

James Irvin: Not even a legit contender but this is a NC, Irvin blew out his knee...

Every name earlier than that I don't even recgonize as I don't watch alot of minor orgs (damn jobs!).

Look at Machida comp. in comparison:

Beat Ortiz: As much as i hate the dude his record does speak for itself: From fightmatrix
3rd overall for most number of wins in the UFC
1st overall number of fights in the UFC
3rd overall in number of title fight wins in the UFC
T/1st overall number of UFC Title Defenses
T/3rd overall number of UFC title bouts.

I know Ortiz now is not the Ortiz of back than, but I think if you took Tito in his prime and put him vs Machida that night even in a title fight (which Tito holds a 6-2 record at, losing only to Liddell and Couture) i still think Machida would win. I mean Ortiz was 0 for 5 on his shots and Machida was 1 for one and did alot of damage from his one (stats according to fightmetric). So I don't think Silva's going to be rocking alot of takedown's. I do hate Tito but beating him is as legit as it gets. And you can't ignore his draw with Evans. He beat him but cheating costs you, but was able to take Rashad down alot and minimize most damage till the third.

O did I mention Tito's landing percentage in the first round of the Machida fight (from fightmetric). A whopping 0%. Yep, no joke....

Beat Soko:
The man pulled a Mir (+1 even) and KO'd Lil Nog (which had also, never happened). Than he KO'd Arona, which only Shogun and Rampage had managed to do before and to this day. Than Macida happned. This fight proved something very relevant to this fight. It does not matter how hard you hit when you cannot find your target. Soko was confused and totally lost vs Machida. Legit win even though Soko does not have a great chin by any means.

Beat Kaz:
The only guys Kaz has lost to are: Lil Nog, Hendo, Wandy, Shogun, Machida, Soko, and Santiago (which from what i head he dominated the first 4 rds of that fight).

A top top level gatekeeper and Machida passed with flying colors. Legit win.

Beat David Heath:
I'm no Heath fan but it's a legit UFC win. Not one worth metioning but i did the last 4 for Silva so i figured i'd even it out. Has beat Sean Salmon, not great but at least one name which I can't say for Silva's opponents.

Then over the rest of his record he's beat: Hoger, White, Penn, Franklin, and Bonnar.

I bought into this s**t once with Huerta when he fought Florian and I read Performity's take on that fight and realized he was right, Huerta had never beat legit competion (aside from Guida) and Florian had.

This is another one of those fights (although i haven't seen Performity's take on it) and i won't be baited again.

There's no comparison, the ONLY reason anyone thinks this is a close match and the UFC even scheduled a match like this is becuase Thiago's last ame is Silva. If his name was James Irwin-Bob Joe, Machida would be like -600 in this fight. I love ATT and this is MMA and ANYTHING can happen but taking out the punchers chance all Machida all day.

awesome post, u cant say it any better

Post #21   1/10/09 1:14:51AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

awesome post, u cant say it any better

Actually i did forget another damning fact.

Combined UFC Record of Silva's opponents not fighting guys named Thiago SIlva:

6-9
15 total UFC fights
40% win percentage in the UFC

Combined UFC Record of Machida's opponents not fighting guys named Lyoto Machida

47-23-2
72 total UFC fights.
65% Win Percentage in the UFC

That's pretty hard to argue.

To make it even worse. If you take 4.8 which is the number of times more fights Machidas opponents have over Silva's and assume that thier pattern held (which is not any scientific method just for comparison sakes to compare apples to apples) they would be at 72 fights rocking a impressive record of: 29-43 (i even rounded the wins not the losses up for the Silva fans).

47-23-2
29-43...........

Ouch.

Last edited 1/10/09 4:34AM server time by Diamondback2
2 total post edits

Post #22   1/10/09 4:27:32AM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I can't wait for the fight... a lot of fans have been saying they want to see Machida against somebody who is aggressive and we all know Thiago Silva is as aggressive as they come.

Post #23   1/10/09 4:33:08AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Great post. I say lyoto outclasses and prob'ly finishes knowing this sets him up for the winner of the title match.

Post #24   1/10/09 4:42:40PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
i hope Thiago is telling the truth when he says this. If he really chases Machida and chases hard he will go to sleep in a devastating manner. Machida is on the cusp of a title shot and IMO a lenghty reign as LHW champ.

Post #25   1/10/09 8:01:05PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I stand alone I'm taking that punchers chance Silva 2nd rd ko

Post #26   1/11/09 8:30:33AM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,207-662
Chips:
Does anyone else think the way to beat Machida is just to sit there and have ring control? I mean, pull a decision on Machida. Leg kick, throw punches that miss just to show aggression and ring control and take a boring decision and hand Machida his first loss.

Post #27   1/12/09 12:38:27AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Machida will win. Silva isn't the one to hand him his first loss. I just hope he gets his shot after he beats Silva.

Post #28   1/12/09 1:05:55AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I think this might be a smart move on Silvas part. To many people think this is a mistake because Machida is a counter striker. My thought is you have to push this guy make him feel uncomfortable. Change it up each time you attack. So he doesn't know whats coming. That's the way I see someone beating Machida. Because if Machida finds your rythym it's all over.

Post #29   1/12/09 7:04:26AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by whardin19

I think this might be a smart move on Silvas part. To many people think this is a mistake because Machida is a counter striker. My thought is you have to push this guy make him feel uncomfortable. Change it up each time you attack. So he doesn't know whats coming. That's the way I see someone beating Machida. Because if Machida finds your rythym it's all over.

The only person i have ever seen have any real success against Lyoto was BJ Penn. Which is to this day really suprising.

Machida has evolved since than but it leads me to believe that the type of fighter that will succeed is a fighter with very very high level boxing and an amazing guard.

They need to be not lost by Lyoto's striking and someone who boxes alot (AA style) will not be lost as boxing is alot of hit-and-run tactics and strikes from all over. When Lyoto engages they know first instinct the correct response and do not need to try and figure him out. They can beat him one punch at a time.

But Lyoto had a crazy takedown on Tito that blew my mind so i think a good guard is vital incase Lyoto takes it down. If Tito almost subbed him than a figher like Forrest or Shogun can get him in a sub for sure.

The only threats I see to Lyoto at this point to me are:

A Silva at 205: Won't happen though, they are really good friends. I would take Silva all day:
Chance Silva could beat him IMO: 90%

Rashad: I don't know exactly how he could win, but every time i say Rashad can't win he wins. So Rashad by god knows what......
Chance Rashad could beat him IMO: 65% +10% Greg Jackson Bonus = 75%

Forrest: One guy that would not be fooled by Machida would be Forrest. plus the dude has way underrated JJ and a solid guard and half guard.
Chance Forrest could beat him IMO: 60%

Shogun: Idk if this would happen or not as idk if they r friends. But Shogun does have great sub's and an awsome clinch. Could control where the fight happens and his agressive striking could keep Machida close which is key, Machida is probably the best fighter at 205 from a distance.
Chance Shogun could beat him IMO: 65%

Jardine: The only guy more akward than Machida. But mroe or less when i say Jardine i'm really saying Greg Jackson. That guy can find a hole in ANYONE'S game.
Chance Jardine could beat him IMO: 0% +10% Greg Jackson Bonus= 10%

Hendo: Hendo can beat anyone that does not have BJJ World Champion Level JJ by simply clinching, taking the fight to the ground, and laying in SC for 3 or 5 rounds.
Chance Hendo could beat him IMO: 30%

Franklin: Although Machida beat him once this is a diffrent Rich Franklin. Comes with A-1 game plans and in a 5 Round fight i think he could push so hard so often that he could gas almost anyone at 205, Machida included. But in a 3 round fight i would take Machida. Also, if it was in a ring I would pick Machida 10 out of 10 times. But this is a cage and Rich's style is perfect for it. Plus Rich strikes really odd too.
Chance Rich could beat him IMO: 50%

Last edited 1/12/09 7:24PM server time by Diamondback2

Post #30   1/12/09 5:57:19PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2