Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP for President!

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

ronco_loid

Learning to Sprawl

ronco_loid Avatar

Career:1,273-761
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I agree with you wink.

Last edited 4/9/07 11:56PM server time by ronco_loid
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #46   4/9/07 11:53:26PM   

Nacho

MMA Regular

Nacho Avatar

Career:137-83
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by ronco_loid

I agree with you wink.

Don't use your finishing move Sub Z

Post #47   4/10/07 1:03:28AM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by AchillesHeel

Okay, apparently I still need to educate some people around here...

GSP turns 26 years old in about a month. He's 13-2 overall, 7-2 in the UFC, and has already won a title fight, in convincing fashion.

He thoroughly dominated a couple of excellent fighters, and has gone toe-to-toe with two guys considered to be among the best ever, and defeated both of them.

GSP was never fed a "can" by the UFC, to generate hype and build him up for a title fight. His UFC debut was against Karo Parisyan, who was 10-2, and had already won a UFC fight, a convincing 1st-rnd submission of Dave Strasser. If anything, GSP was being fed to Parisyan, to build him up for a title shot.

Some statistics:

- Coming into fights against GSP, his opponents had a collective professional record of 172-40-6, for an .811 winning percentage.

- Including fights against GSP and all subsequent fights, GSP's opponents have a collective, career pro record of 249-77-6, a .764 winning percentage.

- GSP's UFC opponents have a combined record of 39-12-1 in the UFC, not including their matches against GSP himself (a .765 winning percentage).

(Note that I counted Matt Hughes's record - his only repeat opponent - only once for each of the above calculations. Winning percentages only account for Wins and Losses and do not include Draws.)

When Matt Hughes was 26, he was 8-1 and had just made his UFC debut, with a Decision win over the might Valeri Ignatov. He was 23 fights away from winning his first UFC title fight. (Incidentally, Hughes had 10 fights in 2000 and 9 in 2001 - that's insane.)

When Chuck Liddell was 26, he was 3 years away from making his professional debut. Maybe he was still in college, I have no idea.

When Rich Franklin was 26, he was teaching a high school math class.

When Fedor Emelianenko was 26, he was 10-1 and had just made his Pride FC debut, with a Decision win over the mighty Semmy Schilt.

When Sean Sherk was 26, he was 2-0 and was more than a year from making his UFC debut.

When Anderson Silva was 26, he was 4-1 and was about a year away from making his Pride FC debut.

That's what I call a GSP beatdown.

ronco = OWNED

wow.thats alot of statistics and Knowledge...ive came to the conclusion that NO MAN..should ever know that much about DUDES...unless you love the dudes...you can quote and say your statistics but all it takes is 1 punch and anyone can beat anyone...so statistics and all these facts and stuff really dont mean crap...i think you have way too much time on your hands...maybe u should get a girlfriend or a pet..

Post #48   4/20/07 3:10:21PM   

p_unit23

MMA Regular

p_unit23 Avatar

Career:532-297
Chips:
GSP ALL THE WAY!!!

Post #49   4/20/07 4:24:35PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Since I don't want to reply to ALL the threads about the GSP Serra fight I'll just spill the beans here.

I just got back from a GSP seminar and he gave us the scoop on why he lost.

1. He did not slip in his fight
2. He did not tap in his fight - he said he was dazed from strikes
3. He feels he lost to Serra because he only trained 2 weeks prior to this fight (because of his knee injury). He felt he over trained during those 2 weeks and didn't feel relaxed. He didn't feel relaxed physically (due to over training) and he wasn't relaxed mentally (he didn't feel that he was properly prepared for the fight)
4. He doesn't know who he is fighting next.

There you have it. So unless he lied, there's the scoop.

BTW, the seminar was pretty good for 100$

Post #50   4/22/07 7:17:21PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

wow.thats alot of statistics and Knowledge...ive came to the conclusion that NO MAN..should ever know that much about DUDES...unless you love the dudes...you can quote and say your statistics but all it takes is 1 punch and anyone can beat anyone...so statistics and all these facts and stuff really dont mean crap...i think you have way too much time on your hands...maybe u should get a girlfriend or a pet..

Passive-aggressive homophobia, anti-intellectualism, ignorance, and mild anti-social personality disorder, all in one neat post. Well done. Your parents must be proud.

Post #51   4/23/07 12:07:37PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Since I don't want to reply to ALL the threads about the GSP Serra fight I'll just spill the beans here.

I just got back from a GSP seminar and he gave us the scoop on why he lost.

1. He did not slip in his fight
2. He did not tap in his fight - he said he was dazed from strikes
3. He feels he lost to Serra because he only trained 2 weeks prior to this fight (because of his knee injury). He felt he over trained during those 2 weeks and didn't feel relaxed. He didn't feel relaxed physically (due to over training) and he wasn't relaxed mentally (he didn't feel that he was properly prepared for the fight)
4. He doesn't know who he is fighting next.

There you have it. So unless he lied, there's the scoop.

BTW, the seminar was pretty good for 100$

I don't have it now, but I read a quote from one of Serra's trainers that the extra time due to GSP's injury really helped Serra. He said that Serra really "turned a corner" in his boxing. Not so much in his technique or anything physical, but in his mental ability to feel confident in his standup game. Serra himself mentioned in the post-fight interview that he had to remind himself not to fall back on his jiu-jitsu training and follow GSP to the ground after knocking him down. Instead, he was able to keep his composure and pursue the knockout.

GSP's admission that he didn't slip is just more reason to like him, imho. He's a classy guy, willing to admit that he just got whupped by a guy who was better prepared and the better fighter on the night.

The talk of the town, so to speak, is that GSP may square off with Koscheck. I could watch that.

Post #52   4/23/07 12:23:40PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
I forgot to add that he did say that the punch that hit him on the back of the head (behind the ear) really dazed him.

Post #53   4/23/07 1:08:43PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Passive-aggressive homophobia, anti-intellectualism, ignorance, and mild anti-social personality disorder, all in one neat post. Well done. Your parents must be proud.

Damn, Achilles, I will dub that the most visious Fruedian-owning of the month...lol... Ouch

Post #54   4/23/07 2:57:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

The talk of the town, so to speak, is that GSP may square off with Koscheck. I could watch that.

Georges joked in saying that most of the time he finds out who his next opponent will be via the internet.

Post #55   4/23/07 3:14:09PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Damn, Achilles, I will dub that the most visious Fruedian-owning of the month...lol... Ouch

Heh. Too harsh? I hadn't eaten lunch yet.

Posted by Rush

Georges joked in saying that most of the time he finds out who his next opponent will be via the internet.

That might be a fun gimmick, actually, if Dana White ever runs out of crazy ideas: Get some fighters to agree to a "mystery card" and then let the fans vote for the matchups on the web site.

Anyway, I'd like to see GSP get right back in the saddle with a "real" opponent, instead of being fed some UFC newbie he's supposed to beat. [EDIT: That is, I think Kos would be a challenge, and not a "can."]

Last edited 4/23/07 3:22PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #56   4/23/07 3:21:40PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Please don't give Dana any more crazy ideas.

Post #57   4/23/07 3:46:07PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by AchillesHeel

Me owned...haha yeah...thatll be the day...this guy has Bas Rutten for his avatar and comes on here spewing all these facts like he is Bas Rutten or an MMA GURU.Im just making a point...that you got way too much time on your hands to take this stuff so seriously..and OH MY GOD I GOT OWNED A MESSAGE BOARD..ILL NEVER SHOW MY FACE AGAIN..HAHAHA...IM SOO ASHAMED SOME GUY ON THE MESSAGE BOARD OWNED ME..what do you consider owning...maybe i am homophobic...maybe im not intellectual...but point in case..your ramblings on here with at stats and stuff...really dont mean anything.now your diagnosing me in your last thread..good job DR Phil...your parents must be proud.

Post #58   4/23/07 8:23:04PM   

russ_95670

Learning to Sprawl

russ_95670 Avatar

Career:169-103
Camp: Sac Towns Finest
Chips:
GSP is WAY overrated!!!!!!!!!! the guy cant even defend his title once successfully and just because he throws some wild kicks and punches everyone loves him. hughes is a dick but hes better than GSP and hughes will make him tap if they meet again.

Post #59   4/25/07 2:09:30AM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by russ_95670

GSP is WAY overrated!!!!!!!!!! the guy cant even defend his title once successfully and just because he throws some wild kicks and punches everyone loves him. hughes is a dick but hes better than GSP and hughes will make him tap if they meet again.

Last time I watched the GSP-Hughes fight GSP DESTROYED HIM. PURE DOMINATION. If anything GSP will make Hughes tap like BJ did. That is if he can get past Serra which I doubt (Hughes that is)

Post #60   4/25/07 3:34:03AM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5