Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP for President!

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i can see the guys point..
the guy seems too squeaky clean for my taste.

i like my fighters (how gay does that sound) to have a little attitude with them.

and to quote Airplane!

"boy: do you want some cream in your coffee?"
"Girl: no thank you, i like my coffee liky my men"

Sounds like someone is a WWE fan

Post #16   3/21/07 12:34:25PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
gsp is from canada he can't be president.

Post #17   3/21/07 12:38:43PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by a crazy person, in another thread :

"I'm just not a big fan of GSP."

In the context of that other thread, I assumed he meant that he didn't think GSP is as good a fighter as other people say he is, and not that he disliked his style, his face, or his attitude. Given that...

Dude, that's crazy. He's friggin' obliterated everybody he's ever fought. And he hasn't been fighting chumps, either.

- Karo Parisyan, at the time he fought GSP, had only ever lost to one guy: Sean Sherk. Karo has only lost once since then (in a fight that ranks among the best I've ever seen, actually).

- Sean Sherk is 31-2. Thirty-one. And two. The two are Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre. Sean Sherk is a monster, guys. He's just a small monster, that's all...

- Frank Trigg, at the time he fought GSP, had only ever lost to Matt Hughes and "Mach" Sakurai. GSP completely embarrassed Trigg. It was insane. Seriously. Total domination from start to finish.

- B.J. Penn was of course the guy to snap Matt Hughes' 13-match winning streak. He was also the first guy to ever beat up GSP. And he lost.

The only bump in the swath of destruction GSP has carved through the best 170-lb fighters on the planet was the first of two fights against the guy generally considered to be one of the greatest fighters in the UFC, ever.

In the fight GSP lost - the only fight he's lost - he was going toe-to-toe with Hughes and had a half-second brain-cramp. Of course, a half-second brain-cramp is usually fatal against Matt Hughes. People are impressed with Chris Lytle for not getting totally tent-spiked by Hughes, and Hughes will probably be the underdog in his eventual rematch with GSP. I just hope Matt Serra doesn't get hurt.

Georges St. Pierre: #2 fighter in the world, pound-for-pound. Bring on Diego.

i feel the same the guy is sick and i don't see anyone takin ghim down soon and i want to see him and diego go at it.

Post #18   3/21/07 12:41:44PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:

Posted by nellyhiphophead

gsp is from canada he can't be president.

Tell that to Arnold, well you know what I mean.

Post #19   3/21/07 12:43:04PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
GSP for Prime Minister!

Post #20   3/21/07 1:47:22PM   

liverkick

Learning to Sprawl

liverkick Avatar

Career:90-72
Camp: Globo Gym Purple Cobras
Chips:
Sherk was way overmatched in the fight with GSP. Sherk belongs at lightwieght and you could plainly see the size difference between them. Not just in height, GSP is just a much larger guy. The only complaint I have about GSP is the fact that he drops out of big fights due to injury. Before Hughes and before Serra. I also thought it was stupid to have Hughes fight Penn after GSP dropped out. It left Hughes fighting two title defenses consecutively. After GSP walks through Serra we should get an exciting GSP/Hughes rematch.

Post #21   3/22/07 11:46:06AM   

Nacho

MMA Regular

Nacho Avatar

Career:137-83
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
GSP is the man. I was cheering like a canuck at a Socal Sports bar when he Cro Cop'd Hughs. It was fun seeing GSP win over the poser Hughs fans during the fight. I don't dislike Matt. It was funny to see the casual fans get an MMA lesson from GSP. He put on a clinic that night. GSP will be tough to beat. Also, I don't blame fighters who cancel due to injuries. It never really works out for the fighters who do try to tough it out.

Post #22   3/23/07 12:31:33AM   

FedorIsTheBest

Learning to Sprawl

FedorIsTheBest Avatar

Career:22-16
Camp: team stoppage
Chips:
I will have all the respect for GSP as soon as he defeats Diego.

Post #23   3/23/07 2:41:34AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by MMA

If you watch of all of St. Pierre's fights from his debut against Parisyan to his last fight with Hughes, you can see how much he has come.

Aside from that loss against Hughes the first time, he is constantly improving his game. However, not only is he talented and a hard worker, but he is also very intelligent. He is very good at exposing his opponent's weaknesses and controlling the fight.

Excellent post. I think he is still getting better.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #24   3/23/07 2:56:32AM   

ronco_loid

Learning to Sprawl

ronco_loid Avatar

Career:1,302-775
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
you are all cryin now arent you

Post #25   4/8/07 3:44:39AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Okay, apparently I still need to educate some people around here...

GSP turns 26 years old in about a month. He's 13-2 overall, 7-2 in the UFC, and has already won a title fight, in convincing fashion.

He thoroughly dominated a couple of excellent fighters, and has gone toe-to-toe with two guys considered to be among the best ever, and defeated both of them.

GSP was never fed a "can" by the UFC, to generate hype and build him up for a title fight. His UFC debut was against Karo Parisyan, who was 10-2, and had already won a UFC fight, a convincing 1st-rnd submission of Dave Strasser. If anything, GSP was being fed to Parisyan, to build him up for a title shot.

Some statistics:

- Coming into fights against GSP, his opponents had a collective professional record of 172-40-6, for an .811 winning percentage.

- Including fights against GSP and all subsequent fights, GSP's opponents have a collective, career pro record of 249-77-6, a .764 winning percentage.

- GSP's UFC opponents have a combined record of 39-12-1 in the UFC, not including their matches against GSP himself (a .765 winning percentage).

(Note that I counted Matt Hughes's record - his only repeat opponent - only once for each of the above calculations. Winning percentages only account for Wins and Losses and do not include Draws.)

When Matt Hughes was 26, he was 8-1 and had just made his UFC debut, with a Decision win over the might Valeri Ignatov. He was 23 fights away from winning his first UFC title fight. (Incidentally, Hughes had 10 fights in 2000 and 9 in 2001 - that's insane.)

When Chuck Liddell was 26, he was 3 years away from making his professional debut. Maybe he was still in college, I have no idea.

When Rich Franklin was 26, he was teaching a high school math class.

When Fedor Emelianenko was 26, he was 10-1 and had just made his Pride FC debut, with a Decision win over the mighty Semmy Schilt.

When Sean Sherk was 26, he was 2-0 and was more than a year from making his UFC debut.

When Anderson Silva was 26, he was 4-1 and was about a year away from making his Pride FC debut.

Post #26   4/9/07 12:04:38PM   

Nacho

MMA Regular

Nacho Avatar

Career:137-83
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by ronco_loid

you are all cryin now arent you

You brought back a two week old thread to be a donkey. Read the post above mine for your education in perspective. Get a clue.

Post #27   4/9/07 12:27:24PM   

Gogoplata

Standup Guy

Gogoplata Avatar

Career:83-45
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

GSP turns 26 years old in about a month. He's 13-2 overall, 7-2 in the UFC, and has already won a title fight, in convincing fashion.

He thoroughly dominated a couple of excellent fighters, and has gone toe-to-toe with two guys considered to be among the best ever, and defeated both of them.

GSP was never fed a "can" by the UFC, to generate hype and build him up for a title fight. His UFC debut was against Karo Parisyan, who was 10-2, and had already won a UFC fight, a convincing 1st-rnd submission of Dave Strasser. If anything, GSP was being fed to Parisyan, to build him up for a title shot.

Some statistics:

- Coming into fights against GSP, his opponents had a collective professional record of 172-40-6, for an .811 winning percentage.

- Including fights against GSP and all subsequent fights, GSP's opponents have a collective, career pro record of 249-77-6, a .764 winning percentage.

- GSP's UFC opponents have a combined record of 39-12-1 in the UFC, not including their matches against GSP himself (a .765 winning percentage).

(Note that I counted Matt Hughes's record - his only repeat opponent - only once for each of the above calculations. Winning percentages only account for Wins and Losses and do not include Draws.)

When Matt Hughes was 26, he was 8-1 and had just made his UFC debut, with a Decision win over the might Valeri Ignatov. He was 23 fights away from winning his first UFC title fight. (Incidentally, Hughes had 10 fights in 2000 and 9 in 2001 - that's insane.)

When Chuck Liddell was 26, he was 3 years away from making his professional debut. Maybe he was still in college, I have no idea.

When Fedor Emelianenko was 26, he was 10-1 and had just made his Pride FC debut, with a Decision win over the mighty Semmy Schilt.

When Sean Sherk was 26, he was 2-0 and was more than a year from making his UFC debut.

When Anderson Silva was 26, he was 4-1 and was about a year away from making his Pride FC debut.

Wow. Great post, love the stats. WAR GSP!

Post #28   4/9/07 1:12:43PM   

ronco_loid

Learning to Sprawl

ronco_loid Avatar

Career:1,302-775
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I dont need a lesson about mma from you. you can ramble on to your cronies on here but dont expect me to listen.

Post #29   4/9/07 1:28:07PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Some statistics:

That's what I call a GSP beatdown.

ronco = OWNED

Post #30   4/9/07 1:44:30PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5