Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Big fights are for people who sell tickets, not losers

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“A lot of it is pay-per-view (PPV) buys. If you sell a lot of tickets, you get fights. And Lesnar is one of the biggest ticket sellers we have in our sport right now. You can’t argue that, it’s just a facet of the game and instead of complaining about it I need to make sure I can sell a lot of tickets too. I don’t like that mentality when guys are like ‘Oh well it should be this way and it should be that way’ and I’m like ‘Dude, you’re a loser’.”

– UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (12-3) tells host Larry Pepe in Part II of their interview on MMAmania.com’s exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio that current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar earned his title shot against Randy Couture at UFC 91 - and against anyone else the UFC sees fit because of his ability to sell tickets and PPV’s. Mir and Lesnar are expected to unify the belts in a rematch sometime in late Spring of 2009. Will history repeat itself or will Lesnar score revenge in Act II?

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/7/09 9:08:30PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
The ufc is at an interesting point right now because its a business as well as a sport. It's business is entertainment, and because its form of entertainment has yet to be established, keeping the business healthy requires a certain amount of strategy. In more established sports, we would never see a team or player be given such a prestigious opportunity based on popularity. In the more established sports such as basketball, football, golf, hockey, tennis... you would never get close to the championship based on pure popularity. The only major sport where I could see that possibly happening would be boxing.. and time and time again, mma fans beg that our sport doesnt turn out the way boxing did.

With that said, despite being the fastest growing sport in the world, the sport is still young. The ufc is still trying to capture the attention of mainstream viewers and trying to stay in the black. To do that, they need to take advantage of certain fighters which are more marketable, and promote them as needed. Examples... liddell, griffin, rampage, couture, gsp, penn... lesnar. Something these fighters all have in common? they either are, or were champions at some point.

The ufc promotes champions... past, present, or future. People ragged on lesnar for being a freakshow, or out of his element... with all the steroid allegations, bad attitude and wwe stuff, a lot of hardcore mma fans had trouble taking him seriously. What people didnt give enough credit to was his wrestling pedigree, his work ethic, his natural athletic abilities, and sheer size.

The doode was given the title shot for 2 reasons, because he could help grow the sport and because he was capable. The ppv was the 2nd highest selling of all time, and he took the belt from one of the greatest. The only thing I can say now is that to be a true champion, you must defend your belt... so its time to find out if he can get past the jits of mir... and if he can, then he deserves a top 5 spot in my hw rankings, possibly even top3

Post #2   1/8/09 10:08:44AM