Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

WEC Plans to Expand with Flyweight Division

Print  
Posted By Message

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
MMAWeekly.com sources on Tuesday revealed that the WEC is adding a 125-pound flyweight division. With WEC 38 in San Diego just three weeks away, no 125-pound bouts are expected for that fight card. The promotion's next event, likely in March, is a more apt candidate to host the WEC's new commitment to flyweight fighters.

Link

What do guys think?

Post #1   1/6/09 9:52:53PM   

cheesy-maggot

MMA Regular

cheesy-maggot Avatar

Career:315-196
Camp: Camp Angio
Chips:
Wow I think this is a great idea!

Post #2   1/6/09 10:00:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've been onto this through some inside sources for a while now. Rumor has it they're looking at buying up some Palace Fighting Championship fighters, and possibly the entire organization. With the PFC flyweight title up for grabs in the fight between Rambaa Somdet and Pat Runez you can bet those are some guys they're looking at marketing.

Rambaa is a .. well... I guess the right word would be "insane" Muay Thai fighter from Thailand. Seriously, the guy dances and shit in the middle of fights Pat Runez is your wrestler-turned-MMA guy with solid all around skills. He's fighting out of Arizona Combat Sports, so they could have another champ on their hands in one of these smaller orgs.

EDIT: Here is a Rambaa Somdet video showcasing some of his craziness. Dude's a legit MT fighter, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49H-mcauOA

Last edited 1/6/09 10:11PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/6/09 10:01:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont know, Im not sold on the idea yet. Just will take awhile to get built up.

Post #4   1/6/09 10:13:01PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I've been onto this through some inside sources for a while now. Rumor has it they're looking at buying up some Palace Fighting Championship fighters, and possibly the entire organization. With the PFC flyweight title up for grabs in the fight between Rambaa Somdet and Pat Runez you can bet those are some guys they're looking at marketing.

Rambaa is a .. well... I guess the right word would be "insane" Muay Thai fighter from Thailand. Seriously, the guy dances and shit in the middle of fights Pat Runez is your wrestler-turned-MMA guy with solid all around skills. He's fighting out of Arizona Combat Sports, so they could have another champ on their hands in one of these smaller orgs.

EDIT: Here is a Rambaa Somdet video showcasing some of his craziness. Dude's a legit MT fighter, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49H-mcauOA

Yea i saw Ramba fight on the PFC 11 card and it was amazing to see him fight. He had so much energy and his kicks made me cringe every time he threw them.

Post #5   1/6/09 10:16:40PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Pat Runez must not like his legs very much if he wants to go with Rambaa.

Post #6   1/6/09 10:18:14PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

Pat Runez must not like his legs very much if he wants to go with Rambaa.

Rambaa's ground game is highly suspect, though.. and Pat is a good wrestler with Nova Uniao jiu jitsu, so if it hits the ground I could see Rambaa getting subbed quick. Still, those kicks Rambaa throws are lethal. It should be a great fight. I can't wait to see it

Post #7   1/6/09 10:21:12PM   

Muay-Thai_Mogwai

MMA Regular

Muay-Thai_Mogwai Avatar

Career:1,331-844
Chips:
WAR FLYWEIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Im kool with it.

Post #8   1/7/09 12:02:04AM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
I think it will be an awesome addition, ive seen very few flyweight fights over the years and hopefully the WEC can sign enough talent to make it interesting.

Post #9   1/7/09 12:07:52AM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
Knew this was coming. Eventually they might have a womens division too.

Post #10   1/7/09 12:29:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
little by little mma is turning into boxing

i would say just add the female wight class all ready and make sure it's a weight gina can make

Post #11   1/7/09 12:48:57AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
give the tiny guys their shot

Post #12   1/7/09 4:41:55AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:993-595
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me after they got rid of two divisions. But a 125 lbs. guy is hard to come by...lol!!! But bring it. WEC is awesome.

Post #13   1/7/09 7:19:24AM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Nice link man thanks. That's the first Ive heard of the PFC purchase rumor.
Thanks for the info brother.

Post #14   1/7/09 7:46:39AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
This is a great idea. The WEC is quickly becoming home to some of the most exciting fights in MMA. I'm glad the lighter weight classes are finally getting showcased on a national scale. It's the perfect compliment to the UFC. Props to Zuffa.

Post #15   1/7/09 1:03:09PM