Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roach predicts Arlovski to KO Fedor

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
There’s a slight sense of amusement coming from Freddie Roach when he breaks down student Andre Arlovski’s fight with Fedor Emelianenko. Roach is a man who's has spent his entire life looking at the hands as weapons, along with the subtle and not-so-subtle elements that make boxing a science. But he's been thrown into the world of MMA through Arlovski, and he's doing his best to take it in stride. His vocabulary is limited; when he looks at Arlovski’s chances, it’s really just a best guess. When the topic of Emelianenko’s armbar comes up, a smile creeps onto his face.

“He looks pretty effective on the ground from what I can see,” Roach says. “He’s really good at the armbar, I guess it’s called. How he gets those guys in the position for an armbar is pretty clever.”

Still, Roach knows what his student is up against. Facing Emelianenko is as much about his legend as his fighting ability.

“If I saw him in the street, I wouldn’t be scared of him,” he says with another smile. “But I’d be wrong.”

Link

Last edited 1/6/09 5:28PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/6/09 5:27:46PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Post #2   1/6/09 5:28:42PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

at first i agreed with your response. but the mir knocking out NOG has got me all screwed up so i wont rule this out. but its not very very likely to happen

Post #3   1/6/09 5:39:34PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

Posted by MMAcca

at first i agreed with your response. but the mir knocking out NOG has got me all screwed up so i wont rule this out. but its not very very likely to happen

if nog can be KOd for the first time by frank mir, and hunt can get KOd by a MW(manhoef or not, its still crazy), then arlovski can take fedor down and get the win via armbar as far as im concerned.....................well ok that may be a little much, but arlovski KOing fedor is not out of the question at this point.

Post #4   1/6/09 5:46:35PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Chips:
I maybe should have only used one ROTF smiley

Post #5   1/6/09 5:49:04PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,726-1,499
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I love Arlovski and all but sorry Freddie I dont see it big guy.

Last edited 1/6/09 5:55PM server time by sparky

Post #6   1/6/09 5:54:42PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,015
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
WAR Arlowski !!

Post #7   1/6/09 6:00:27PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
i see it...if the fight stays on the feet, and arlovski is training the way that he and everybody else is saying, then he stands a good chance of getting a decison win....fedor has the power to catch him, but freddie is right, fedors boxing technique is poor....its good for mma, but poor technique....he's a punches n bunches kind of guy with good power...but lacks proper footwork and movement....as long as arlovski can stay away from that like the article says hes training to do then dont be suprised.....on the ground i give fedor the edge but i dont know how much damage he'll be able to do there, but standing i give arlovski the edge.....that being said tho, im gonna totally turn i what i just wrote and say fedor 1st/2nd rd ko... .good boxer or not, fedor is quick and powerful and arlovski is a bit chinny so the odds in a mma match are not in his favor cuz all it takes in one good punch to put him on queer street....but i wont be suprised if it goes the other way, we'll see tho

Post #8   1/6/09 6:01:57PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,903-1,298
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I really hope so.

Post #9   1/6/09 6:18:35PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I can't take anything Freddie Roach says seriously. His comments over the past few weeks have been assanine. I know the trainers and the media can overhype things to make people sound like fools, but there are some things that really bother me about Roach knowing nothing about MMA and being so intensely involved as a trainer.

1) Boxing defense is entirely different to MMA defense with the hands. Because the gloves are a quarter of the size. Standard boxing blocks simply won't work with MMA gloves because they're small enough to slip right through. I love when boxers come to my gym and get used to sparring with the big gloves and then get jabs put right through their teeth once they put on some MMA gloves.

2) Boxing stances, especially against someone like Fedor who excels on the ground, can lead to huge problems when somebody tries to take you down. Your feet are too close together and your center of gravity is not low enough to create space with your hips and defend takedown attempts

3) Boxing headmovement opens fighters up for kicks and knees. Of course Fedor isn't known for either, but still.. it's a problem when you translate boxing to MMA.

4) Boxing footwork is nothing like MMA footwork because the range is entirely different.

Now, Roach is a smart guy when it comes to boxing and all. At this point after so many years in the boxing game and with his ego blown up so great as the "best boxing trainer alive" does he have the wherewithall to deflate his own ego and realize he needs to be training his fighter for these types of problems? I don't know, honestly. With his medical problems and his lifetime of understanding BOXING, does he have the mental capacity to adapt? I really don't know. I like Freddie Roach, but these are thoughts that bother me.

EDIT: All of that being said I cannot deny that Arlovski has a puncher's chance in this one. The guy has quick hands for a heavyweight, and they seem to pack a wallop.

Last edited 1/6/09 6:23PM server time by Jackelope

Post #10   1/6/09 6:22:11PM   

Shawn17

MMA Regular

Shawn17 Avatar

Career:733-483
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Freddie Roach knows about boxing for sure. MMA no way. Take off those big gloves and the game changes....One punch is all you need. Arlovski's legs/kick are useless and Fedor has faced better kickboxers than AA. Sorry man on the ground Fedor wins, standing up fedor still wins.

Post #11   1/6/09 6:22:24PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

“He looks pretty effective on the ground from what I can see,” Roach says. “He’s really good at the armbar, I guess it’s called. How he gets those guys in the position for an armbar is pretty clever.”

-Quality MMA knowledge right there. I know I'd want that kind of understanding of the sport to be in my corner coming up with a gameplan.

Post #12   1/6/09 6:26:31PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,802-1,135
Chips:
This is what I have been saying if AA comes out like a mainiac and trys to throw and go for the KO thats his only shot at winning IMPO

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #13   1/6/09 6:42:53PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i've said this for a while now....aa is the one guy who actually has a descent chance to beat fedor. he has more tools in his belt then any other hw fighter in the world other then fedor obviously. i can't fukin wait 2 dream fights i though i'd never get to see fedor/arlovski, hendo/franklin and all 4 are in their prime

Post #14   1/6/09 6:46:04PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
If Roy Nelson can control AA on the ground then i dont think Fedor will have a problem subbing him. AA wont have a chance to use his boxing IMO. I see Fedor coming straight at AA with strikes to set up the takedown, and from there the fight will be over...

Post #15   1/6/09 7:33:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2