Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dean Lister Apologizes/Points Out He's Still Better Than You

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
There’s no getting around it, Dean Lister had a bad, bad night against Yushin Okami at UFC 92. His offense consisted of pulling guard, a few token efforts at striking, and takedown attempts that only became more half-hearted as the fight wore on. Not surprisingly, he lost the decision, was showered with boos from the fans, and got his release from the UFC afterwards.

Now Lister has posted a message to the UG apologizing to his fans and teammates:
Listen I had a very poor performance my last fight. Truth is that I let my team and my gym, my friends and definitely myself down for this fight. Its not only that I lost but I really showed a poor performance. I had a much better showing against Arona (even though that was only primarily a grappling fight that I lost) even in Pride who is a better fighter than Okami for sure. Things just didnt come together for me this fight. I trained so, so hard, I really trained hard but it didnt work out.
Nice, right? He owns up to his poor performance, apologizes to the people he let down, but it doesn’t stop there:

I expect a few weak and mean tempered responses to my thread here, that is OK, I expect this thing from young whack offs who have no (zero) life experience. …Things in life are strange. All I can say is in late 90s I was mediocre at best in BJJ, but with some patience, I became world champion in ADCC Absolute WORLD CHAMP IN MOTHA ****** BRAZIL!!!!!!!!! If you say that MMA is different than ADCC, that's fine, I heard the same thing changing from Gi to No-Gi (that's how long i've been around the damm game). …For those who really, really, really hate me and have the balls to come tell me to my face, I am very curious to meet you and to compare your superior style, technique and work ethic, even though I had a piss poor performance in UFC, i'm still in good shape. let me know if you want to "teach me a few MMA moves" cause I can really need the help and i'm an eager student. Only problems is you would have to come and see me in person….

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/6/09 2:13:29PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well it sounds like he knows he had a really poor performance in the fight which is a good thing but it also sounds like he is mad about the hate mail he is getting from fans. Lister is a good fighter he just needs to work on his wrestling and stand up. But he BJJ is top level but you cant win fights now days with only BJJ.

Post #2   1/6/09 2:22:24PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Well it sounds like he knows he had a really poor performance in the fight which is a good thing but it also sounds like he is mad about the hate mail he is getting from fans. Lister is a good fighter he just needs to work on his wrestling and stand up. But he BJJ is top level but you cant win fights now days with only BJJ.

unless your name is Shinya Aoki

Post #3   1/6/09 2:28:47PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
im not a fan of lister at all unless im fighting insomnia, but i can see how enough hate mail from people that couldnt do what you do would push you over the edge and make you write such a childish response. weve all seen what kind of garbage internet trolls spew and deans heard plenty of it in the past, and even more after the okami fight so i can sympathize with the guy. too bad he typed this though, it only adds fuel to the trolls fire, probably a bad move boogeyman.

Post #4   1/6/09 2:35:20PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Go Lister! Cant cut it at the top so lets just call out fans instead!

Jeez.

Post #5   1/6/09 2:39:20PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by telnights

wrestling definitly.....i also think he needs to be more aggressive...mostly on the feet and a little more on the ground.....his striking technique is there (im not saying he's great by any means) but he is very timid to even throw a jab ...i havent watched the okami fight, im baseing this on previous fights....im suprised that all that time with tito he hasnt learned or atleast shown the utilization of a better wrestling game, might have to do the aggressivness as well

Post #6   1/6/09 2:47:30PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by wiggum

wrestling definitly.....i also think he needs to be more aggressive...mostly on the feet and a little more on the ground.....his striking technique is there (im not saying he's great by any means) but he is very timid to even throw a jab ...i havent watched the okami fight, im baseing this on previous fights....im suprised that all that time with tito he hasnt learned or atleast shown the utilization of a better wrestling game, might have to do the aggressivness as well

i think dean is the type of fighter that waits on his opponent to make a mistake, its like chuck fighting jardine, chuck couldnt counter and looked fairly helpless. i guess in the end the aggressiveness would come if he wasnt so one dimensional, but since he only seems to be confident in his BJJ he cant be as forthright elsewhere in the fight.

Post #7   1/6/09 2:53:03PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by wiggum

i think dean is the type of fighter that waits on his opponent to make a mistake, its like chuck fighting jardine, chuck couldnt counter and looked fairly helpless. i guess in the end the aggressiveness would come if he wasnt so one dimensional, but since he only seems to be confident in his BJJ he cant be as forthright elsewhere in the fight.

good point, there are a few of bjj fighters that tend to be like that now that i think about it, tentative and patient....not to rag on bjj fighters, i get my ass handed to bjj players a few times a week!

Post #8   1/6/09 4:14:11PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
He's in shape? Didn't look like it in that Okami fight. But then again, maybe he's been running 30 miles a day since then. If that were true, then I'd believe that he was in shape. But he wasn't in shape for that fight. He gave a truly lackluster performance, and now he's calling out fans which is just a dumb move in general. Maybe he doesn't realize that some people spend their life getting really good at one thing (like flaming people on the Internet or, say, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), and then they're almost unbeatable in that one thing. Or...maybe he does realize. Unfortunately for him, it IS OK to be one-dimensional in flaming.

Post #9   1/6/09 8:37:44PM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:

Posted by telnights

or Damien Maia

Post #10   3/10/09 1:34:57PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by telnights

Not true jj, Aoki uses his Judo background very well to get the takedown.
Which is what throws alot of people off about him.

Post #11   3/10/09 1:55:22PM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by telnights

Not true jj, Aoki uses his Judo background very well to get the takedown.
Which is what throws alot of people off about him.

Maia does it with straight BJJ and is doing very well. But then again, Maia's BJJ isn't like anyone else's in the world.

Post #12   3/11/09 2:14:42PM