Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva fight license to be subject of CSAC meeting Feb. 10

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
In July, following a dominating Elite XC heavyweight championship victory over Justin Eilers, Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva (12-1) tested positive for the steroid Boldenone and was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) for a full year and fined $2,500.

Claiming his innocence, Silva took matters into his own hands and appealed the ruling in October. However, these things have more of a guilty until proven innocent theme to them instead of the other way around.

And the commission’s final decision was to uphold the suspension when Silva’s defense did not appear to sway the initial finding.

With his fight career being his family’s main source of income, sitting out for a full year was not an option for the Brazilian. He decided to disregard the punishment and take a fight in Japan where the CSAC’s suspension would not be recognized.

The big man’s manager Alex Davis released this statement in early December regarding his client’s decision to fight in Japan in spite of the CSAC’s suspension:

“Antonio has decided to fight, he really has no option. He’s innocent, he’s tried to prove it and it fell on unwilling ears, and he has financial commitments that to not meet would have serious consequences for him. In light of these, he has decided to continue his career in Japan until when and if his situation with the CSAC is resolved.”

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/5/09 8:07:47PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

With his fight career being his family’s main source of income

That says it all right there. I like the guy, but everybody makes mistakes. He has to pay for his mistake, serve his time, and then hopefully he'll be back fighting somewhere in the States at the end of his suspension.

Or they might love him so much in Japan that they beg him to keep coming back. Either way, I hope things work out for the guy.

That being said, I think that I finally have to forgive Sean Sherk. I've hated him for far too long because of his failed steroid test, but if I'm willing to forgive Silva, then I have to be willing to forgive Sherk as well.

Post #2   1/5/09 8:44:43PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by SmileR

That says it all right there. I like the guy, but everybody makes mistakes. He has to pay for his mistake, serve his time, and then hopefully he'll be back fighting somewhere in the States at the end of his suspension.

Or they might love him so much in Japan that they beg him to keep coming back. Either way, I hope things work out for the guy.

That being said, I think that I finally have to forgive Sean Sherk. I've hated him for far too long because of his failed steroid test, but if I'm willing to forgive Silva, then I have to be willing to forgive Sherk as well.

I've heard from a few people over there that he's already very well liked. I don't think he would be a huge star over here since he's IMO not a great fighter and his fight with Ricco showed he isn't a top flight HW.

Post #3   1/5/09 9:21:11PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by SmileR

I've heard from a few people over there that he's already very well liked. I don't think he would be a huge star over here since he's IMO not a great fighter and his fight with Ricco showed he isn't a top flight HW.

I agree. Hopefully he'll have a long and healthy career over in Japan.

Post #4   1/5/09 9:22:50PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
coughcoughwhereroidsarelegalcoughcough

Post #5   1/5/09 10:17:04PM