Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Speaking engagement in Gresham, OR

Print  
Posted By Message

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
just figured out about it but thought people in the Northwest would want to know. But from what I heard Ken Shamrock, Prangley and Lindland and MARK Hughes will be speaking including many other fighters will most likely attend.

www.fightingwithgod.org

Post #1   1/5/09 5:44:58PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,483-1,177
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Isn't it a conflict of interest to love thy neighbor but then beat the hell out of the guy next door.

I really don't see how you can be religious and a fighter it doesn't make sense.

Post #2   1/5/09 7:20:17PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Isn't it a conflict of interest to love thy neighbor but then beat the hell out of the guy next door.

I really don't see how you can be religious and a fighter it doesn't make sense.

first of all I am pretty sure most fighters would not just go over and beat up the guy next door. MMA is a competition like any other sport and its participants are not "sinning" by participating.

many people think that Christians are pacifists and some are, but the notions of being your best, competition, justice, defending the weak can only be done from a place of power and skill. Christian fighters may not be your stereotypical fighters in some ways but fighters still the same and heck if you listen to BJJ people they talk about the transforming power of BJJ, if you consider MMA a force not just for pain and dominance it makes sense that ALL people groups would be drawn to it.

Post #3   1/5/09 7:30:16PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

then you have a VERY VERY narrow view point. participating in a sport has nothing to do w/ fighting in "life"

Post #4   1/5/09 10:20:04PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Wow. Are you trying to just pick a fight or are you being serious. Comments and beliefs like that is the reason it took so much to get it sanctioned. MMA is a sport. Not a streetfight on TV. There are christian boxing schools, so why is that any different? Thats like saing you can't be religious and be in the Army. "Love thy neighbor but then go blow him to pieces" I am completely shocked someone who claims to be a fan makes such a hurtful and disrespectful comments about it. not cool bro. not cool at all.

Post #5   1/6/09 2:29:33AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,270-1,339
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Props to all three of your follow ups to that dumb comment.

Post #6   1/6/09 9:06:46AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,483-1,177
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Maybe try understanding the comment. My comment was in no way disrespectful to MMA. I think it is the only sport worth watching and it has the best athletes. I have been watching and participating in MMA for many years.

What my comment was meant to say is that if you truly believe in religion and follow the teachings of Christianity than you can not be a fighter. There is no place for violence in religion. And yes I have studied different religions extensively. Thus the comment "love thy neighbor" is supposed to be taken figuratively not literally. How can you love thy neighbor yet train to fight and hurt someone. It goes against all of the main principles of religion.

Post #7   1/6/09 11:09:08AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by Wallass

Maybe try understanding the comment. My comment was in no way disrespectful to MMA. I think it is the only sport worth watching and it has the best athletes. I have been watching and participating in MMA for many years.

What my comment was meant to say is that if you truly believe in religion and follow the teachings of Christianity than you can not be a fighter. There is no place for violence in religion. And yes I have studied different religions extensively. Thus the comment "love thy neighbor" is supposed to be taken figuratively not literally. How can you love thy neighbor yet train to fight and hurt someone. It goes against all of the main principles of religion.

but you do not have to have hatred for your opponent, you can have the highest respect for him, hence you are not breaking the tenant. Christianity is also not about following rules but about using the skills God gives us and humbling ourselves by putting him and others first the further his name and show our love for him. Christians should not be absent from almost any public arena(fighting, polotics, commerce, etc.) because it is easiest to witness to people when you have things in common or a relationship through other things. "Holyer than thou" talk is one thing that made Jesus VERY angry. It is when he used the phrase Brood of Vipers.

Post #8   1/6/09 11:29:01AM