Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Met Gary Goodridge today. Got to talk 1 on 1

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
I heard of Gary opening a new gym in my city.
I decided to go in, and actually see if he was working today. Which he was.

Gary is a cool dude, and seems like a very down to earth guy, who enjoys talking MMA aside from the ring. Seems like the gym was a little too quiet for him, but im sure in due time he will pick it up and make some good coin.

So im curious to know, anyone meet anyone in MMA? Not including photo shoots or autograph signings.
SOMEONE you met one on one.

Last edited 1/5/09 10:05PM server time by rampageownedyou
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   1/5/09 5:34:29PM   

bobbydoomocculta

Banned

bobbydoomocculta Avatar

Career:201-119
Chips:
very cool story... very...
I've always been a fan of Big Daddy...

I was working in liverpool one day, reading the gas meters... I ended up reading the meter next door to Elvis Sinosic and Anthony Perosh's gym... But they weren't open so I didn't meet shit...

I live around the corner I should stop in some time...

Post #2   1/5/09 9:18:39PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I live in Columbus, OH, which is the home of Mark Coleman's Hammer House. I've met Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, and Kevin Randleman personally. All really good dudes, and I'm really rooting for Coleman against Shogun.

Post #3   1/5/09 9:47:52PM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:

I live in Columbus, OH, which is the home of Mark Coleman's Hammer House. I've met Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, and Kevin Randleman personally. All really good dudes, and I'm really rooting for Coleman against Shogun.
Same here.
I like Randleman alot, thats cool you got to meet him. You ask him anything?.

Post #4   1/5/09 9:51:47PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Did you ask him why he didnt throw one strike against Pat Barry

jk Gary your a cool dude

Post #5   1/5/09 9:52:39PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Same here.
I like Randleman alot, thats cool you got to meet him. You ask him anything?.

Yeah..the one thing that I really wanted to know was how could he get subbed after slamming Fedor. After laughing, he said, "Uh...cause he's Fedor."

Good enough for me.

Post #6   1/5/09 10:07:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Yeah..the one thing that I really wanted to know was how could he get subbed after slamming Fedor. After laughing, he said, "Uh...cause he's Fedor."

Good enough for me.

I've always liked Randleman, things like that are the reason.

Post #7   1/5/09 10:25:51PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have met a ton of fighters at local events back stage due to the fact I train a lot of local fighters and they bring in big name MMA fighters to promote the shows. Its nice because I get a chance to see what type of person the guys really are. Nicest I have met would have to be Wandy, GSP, and Joe Stevenson. Rudest I have met would have to be Hoyce Gracie, Matt Serra, and Rashad.

Post #8   1/6/09 3:34:53AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Hoyce Gracie, Matt Serra, and Rashad.

Details on why, I like hearing those stories.

Post #9   1/6/09 3:44:07AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,472-1,467
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I know you said outside of autograph signings but I met GSP about a year ago. He was booked to sign autographs from 10-12 and there were 200 people ( you had to pay I think 10 for one of the 200 spots). GSP showed up at 10:30, late but stayed till 2:30 signing and talking with people. Not just signing autographs but actually talking to people. Very cool, humble and classy guy which is awesome as sometimes when you get the opportunity to meet someone you like, they turn out to be a jerk. GSP was far from it. He took like 8 pictures with me as the camera kept ******* up and even gave me one where we are having a staredown. He even signed it "I`ll kick you ass in a couple years!" Just wanted to post this as it pisses me off that a few of you guys have met fighter that turn out to be pricks. GSP is anything but.

Post #10   1/6/09 9:00:44AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

I know you said outside of autograph signings but I met GSP about a year ago. He was booked to sign autographs from 10-12 and there were 200 people ( you had to pay I think 10 for one of the 200 spots). GSP showed up at 10:30, late but stayed till 2:30 signing and talking with people. Not just signing autographs but actually talking to people. Very cool, humble and classy guy which is awesome as sometimes when you get the opportunity to meet someone you like, they turn out to be a jerk. GSP was far from it. He took like 8 pictures with me as the camera kept ******* up and even gave me one where we are having a staredown. He even signed it "I`ll kick you ass in a couple years!" Just wanted to post this as it pisses me off that a few of you guys have met fighter that turn out to be pricks. GSP is anything but.

this doesnt surprise me at all, outside of the "im not impressed by your performance" crack i have never heard him say anything that wasnt classy or led me to believe he was a jerk.

eric schafer is one of the funniest guys ive ever met. very humble, down to earth guy that makes fun of himself for being a ginger and not being a great stand up fighter all the time. duke roufus is just a cool guy too, one of those guys that other guys want to hang out with. charismatic, knows everyone in his hometown, and once again very humble, it must be a midwest thing.

Post #11   1/6/09 9:31:51AM   

JWest12

MMA Regular

JWest12 Avatar

Career:440-254
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
I know he hasn't fought in a little while, since UFC 57 I think but Tom Murphy, from TUF 2 has a gym like 20 minutes away from me, in St. Albans, Vermont. I have seen him there and he came to one of my wrestling practices last year to help us out. He's a real nice guy. I also met GSP at Murphy's gym. GSP visited and did a seminar for like 50 people but I didn't know about it. Me and two of my friends went to see him after and we were the only other people to show up to get pictures and autograph with him. I got to talk to him for alittle bit, it was cool seems how he's my favorite fighter and he was in a little town in Vermont.

Post #12   1/6/09 7:33:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've met quite a few popular fighters

I won't mention the rude ones because honestly I tend to give famous people the benefit of the doubt in those situations. The coolest I've met are Rich Franklin, Randy Couture, Jamie Varner, Aaron Simpson, Ryan Bader, Houston Alexander, and even though he's not a pro fighter Jay Glazer. All these guys were sincerely very nice people who seemed like they were having a good time talking to fans.

Edit: Also, if you get to talk to Big Daddy again tell him thanks for all he's done for the sport. He's a true pioneer that doesn't get as much credit as he deserves IMO. Dude is the fricken man

Last edited 1/6/09 7:42PM server time by Jackelope

Post #13   1/6/09 7:41:36PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Houston Alexander was the nicest fighter that i met. he was so genuine and took the time to get to know each fan. it even got to the point where his manager told him to speed things up lol.

Arlovski was very cold, but i'll chalk that up to him being from Belarus . also, Matt Serra is a stereotypical guido who is the epitome of the generic Italian Long Islander.

Post #14   1/6/09 7:46:31PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Hoyce Gracie, Matt Serra, and Rashad.

Details on why, I like hearing those stories.

Will send in PM that way doesn't come off as fighter bashing...

Last edited 1/6/09 7:51PM server time by telnights
2 total post edits

Post #15   1/6/09 7:49:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2