Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Mir has no problem with ‘Interim’ label

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“I feel pretty satisfied that I’m the champ. The fact that Randy came back - really he should have waited for me and Nogueira to fight and then fought the winner of us to unify the belts. The fact that he left, the heavyweight belt was Nogueira’s. We were just waiting for the official title to be called the heavyweight belt. But obviously (Randy) came back and made it all kind of a mess. But Nogueira and Tim (Sylvia) fought for it and that created the real belt in my opinion. The fact that I beat Nogueira, who was top ranked, a top guy, it’s not like I took the belt from some paper champion, this guy was the real deal. The icing on the cake is Brock Lesnar, who has the other belt, I already beat him. Those were two champions and I’ve got a win over both of them. I feel pretty confident that I’m the champ. Other people [talk] about the interim thing, but I’ve got no problem with it. I’ll fight Brock again and we’ll fix this.”

– UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (12-3) tells host Larry Pepe on MMAmania.com’s exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio that holding victories over former Interim Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 and current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 81 is enough to recognize him as the the owner of the ‘real belt’. Mir and Lesnar are expected to unify the belts in a rematch sometime in late Spring of 2009. Will history repeat itself or will Lesnar score revenge in Act II?

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   1/2/09 1:02:31PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Mir will get beat, he caught Lesnar luckily.

Post #2   1/2/09 1:07:55PM   

voodoo-jitsu

Banned

Career:189-114
Chips:
i think lesnar win win the rematch and i also think it wont be the last time they fight each other for the belt

Post #3   1/2/09 1:11:52PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
i dont think MIr will win the rematch either also i agree that no matter how it ends(if lesner wins)there will be a rubber match for sute

Post #4   1/2/09 2:13:01PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by casey64

Mir will get beat, he caught Lesnar luckily.

i don't see how getting a submission is lucky. Mir will beat Lesnar again and i wont be surprised if it's by TKO this time.

Post #5   1/2/09 2:13:45PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
its the toughest pick iv had to make in a while but while im a fan of both i gotta pick mir based on iv seen lesnar get better at almost everything except sub defense while he hasnt had a chance to show wheather or not he has matured in that department i still dont think he has

Post #6   1/2/09 4:37:37PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Mirs stand up looked great. If he trys to stand with Brock it should be a very interesting fight. but if Mir plays it right and can get him down its Franks all day.

Post #7   1/2/09 6:56:29PM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Career:409-266
Chips:
I never have head of a lucky submission.........

I'm probably in the minority that thinks Mir will beat Lesnar again than again i was in the minority that thought Frank Mir would beat Nog by TKO/KO in the second...

Lesnar is awsome but the one thing that takes years to learn is submissions. And Mir is one of the top 2 submission HW's of all time. I still believe Mir was hand picked by Dana, Frank, Joe, and Lorenzo as welcome package. The onyl 2 fighters that are a more of a stylistic nightmare for Brock at that time were Fedor and Nog.
Fedor wasnt in the UFC and if he fought in the UFC is would be vs Randy at that time.
No AC in the world would sanction a fight vs Nog in a second pro fight. The odds of getting hurt are wayy to igh in thier eyes. That's a really hard sell. We want to put together a fight between a guy that fought one can and is a NCAA wrestler in a mma fight vs a guy who has world class BJJ and was an olyppic boxer. o yeah and that second guy has fought like a zillion fights, never been KO'd, takes more damage than the Terminator, and won a bunch of belts and stuff in PRIDE.... But we swear Brock won't get hurt!

In hindsight it would have been a half legit fight but back then NO WAY!

So who else we got laying around at HW who has riduclious submissions, espically off his back. That'd be Mir Mr. White.

I think it could go either way but Mir has it in my mind right now.

But back on topic, didn't Mir bitch abotu the fight beign for the Interm title before the fight? I'm a huge Mir fan but i seem to remember something like that being said on his part.......

Last edited 1/3/09 1:46AM server time by Diamondback2
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/3/09 1:44:19AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
As far as I'm concerned there is no UFC HW champion just yet. The tournament idea was cool, and it's not over yet so until someone wins it all it's a vacant in my eyes.

As long as Mir continues to improve his standup I think he's the slight favorite. This fight will probably be seperated by less than 5% at the Playground guaranteed. Which is great because I like a high profile matchup to be the hotbout.

Lesnar has the power to KO Mir, and he has shown a bit of a soft chin, but ultimately I see Lesnar getting submitted again.

Post #9   1/3/09 1:52:26AM   

the_01

MMA Regular

the_01 Avatar

Career:487-358
Chips:
I think its stupid to have an "Interim" belt, what the **** is that ?? 1/2 a champion? Its either your champ or not, period. Enough with this mix up.

Post #10   1/3/09 5:17:03PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by the_01

I think its stupid to have an "Interim" belt, what the **** is that ?? 1/2 a champion? Its either your champ or not, period. Enough with this mix up.

Well if Couture hadn't taken his little sabbatical we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. The heavyweight title had to be represented, and having the champ take a year off is not appropriate for a multi million dollar company.

Post #11   1/4/09 1:38:41AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I'm "glad" that he doesn't have a problem w/ it being the way it is. This wouldn't be what it is except if the UFC had stripped Randy (like they should have) they might've lost the court case (so maybe they shouldn't have :)). They felt like they needed to keep him "officially champ" to handle the business side. Right now I think most of us realize he is the "realer" of the champs, but that they both have legit wins to put them where they're at. It is what it is. I hate anything that delineates a title, but I can't help the present scenario, so while I hope Mir does the same thing again I think Brock has learned a lot and will ko him.

Post #12   1/4/09 2:41:40AM   

BrutalKnockOut

MMA Regular

BrutalKnockOut Avatar

Career:466-310
Camp: Team Takeover
Chips:
Mir should be the linear UFC HW champ, but he'll take the belt when he beats Brock.

Post #13   1/5/09 4:46:28PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Brock was getting tired when he fought an undersized and much lighter Randy. If it had gone on to a third round or more, Brock would have been in serious trouble.

Mir looks good. he's much taller than Randy, has fought recently, has better hands right now than Randy, and is much heavier at 250. The question is the takedowns. Can Mir stuff the takedowns...because if he can...he can get Lesnar tired just like Randy did...but Mir won't have such a weight disadvantage..I mean 225 pushing around 275 is significant but 250 pushing back on 275 makes 275 more tired. And brock was starting to get found and hit. He doens't have much head movement against a guy--Randy who is pretty old and doens't have the world's greatest striking power. Should be interesting. I give it to Mir but Lesnar is a brute force to be reckoned with.

Post #14   1/5/09 6:40:16PM   

jodybanman

Learning to Sprawl

jodybanman Avatar

Career:1,670-901
Chips:
The real belt belongs to the guy who beat the real champion. I'm the biggest Nogueira fan I know, but he was never UFC heavyweight champion...yeah he would have been if Randy hadn't come back, but Randy DID comeback, and rightfully reclaimed his status as champion.

I'd rank Frank Mir ahead of Brock Lesnar at this point, but Brock is still the champion.

Last edited 1/5/09 10:48PM server time by jodybanman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   1/5/09 10:12:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2