Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rashad Evans Explains "Gesture" During Fight With Griffin

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
When [Griffin] got off his little flurry on me, and he gave me everything he had, I was like, 'Oh man. I've seen every trick in the book,'" Evans said. "And I knew that there was nothing he could do to really hurt me. I felt all his power, and I was like, 'Man, I've got this. I've got this now.' And I wanted to let him know that [he] can't hurt me. It's going to be a long night from here on out.' It was just a little fun.

link

Post #1   12/31/08 9:16:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Pretty sure everyone knew that was why he did it. Doesn't change my opinion that it was disrespectful, though.

My main thing isn't the act itself: It's the fact that Forrest was nothing but respectful and then he had to get cocky and be disrespectful right in the middle of the fight.

It doesn't matter, though. Some people like those types of fighters, and others don't. I'm the latter obviously. I just feel that in our violent sport it is even more important than in any other to be respectful. As a homage to the arts martial, and to illustrate for the fans and would-be fans that this is not a sport of violence and disrespect. It is a sport of dedication, self discipline, focused aggression, and deep respect. It is not boxing, it is not human cockfighting. It is the combination of a sharpened mind and body forged into a deadly weapon capable of striking out with deadly accuracy, but also completely controlled by a balanced mindset.

Antics like Rashad's show me nothing of this nature. Fighters like Fedor, Crocop, Noguiera, GSP and Lyoto Machida do. It is the difference between a lifelong martial artist and a guy who thinks he's bad simply because he learned to throw hands and grapple around a bit.

EDIT: And at the root of it all I believe this is why some people long for the days of PRIDE

Last edited 12/31/08 9:35PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/31/08 9:34:38PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
iv seen all he has to offer i have a great idea ill grab my package and blow him a kiss that should convey my point

-oh rashad you slay me

Post #3   12/31/08 10:12:55PM   

SeanSalmonisGod

Banned

SeanSalmonisGod Avatar

Career:37-21
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty sure everyone knew that was why he did it. Doesn't change my opinion that it was disrespectful, though.

My main thing isn't the act itself: It's the fact that Forrest was nothing but respectful and then he had to get cocky and be disrespectful right in the middle of the fight.

It doesn't matter, though. Some people like those types of fighters, and others don't. I'm the latter obviously. I just feel that in our violent sport it is even more important than in any other to be respectful. As a homage to the arts martial, and to illustrate for the fans and would-be fans that this is not a sport of violence and disrespect. It is a sport of dedication, self discipline, focused aggression, and deep respect. It is not boxing, it is not human cockfighting. It is the combination of a sharpened mind and body forged into a deadly weapon capable of striking out with deadly accuracy, but also completely controlled by a balanced mindset.

Antics like Rashad's show me nothing of this nature. Fighters like Fedor, Crocop, Noguiera, GSP and Lyoto Machida do. It is the difference between a lifelong martial artist and a guy who thinks he's bad simply because he learned to throw hands and grapple around a bit.

EDIT: And at the root of it all I believe this is why some people long for the days of PRIDE

How does Rashad catch so much sh*t for this, but fighters like Tito and Rampage don't get nearly as much sh*t for their trash talking.

Makes no sense to me

Post #4   12/31/08 10:29:41PM   

TheNatural915

MMA Regular

TheNatural915 Avatar

Career:56-33
Chips:
Maybe he was trying to be like Apollo Creed

Post #5   12/31/08 11:14:12PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:

Posted by TheNatural915

Maybe he was trying to be like Apollo Creed

ya the only way his impersanation could get any better is if fedor kils him

Post #6   1/1/09 12:26:19AM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by SeanSalmonisGod

Posted by Jackelope

How does Rashad catch so much sh*t for this, but fighters like Tito and Rampage don't get nearly as much sh*t for their trash talking.

Makes no sense to me

Lets see talking sh*t and grabing your balls in the middle of a fight is a little different. He said the same old crap about Liddell I took his best shot and knew he couldn't hurt me. Well you took a shot at the end of a punch while you were backing up I don't think that was his best shot plus why did you spent the whole fight running. Also Forrest hasn't knock anyone out so what are your trying to say. "Punk nuff said"

Post #7   1/1/09 12:28:13AM   

SeanSalmonisGod

Banned

SeanSalmonisGod Avatar

Career:37-21
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Lets see talking sh*t and grabing your balls in the middle of a fight is a little different. He said the same old crap about Liddell I took his best shot and knew he couldn't hurt me. Well you took a shot at the end of a punch while you were backing up I don't think that was his best shot plus why did you spent the whole fight running. Also Forrest hasn't knock anyone out so what are your trying to say. "Punk nuff said"

Just seems to me that you are still sour about 88.

Post #8   1/1/09 12:46:13AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Talking smack and grapping your crotch and shaking it another person, yep, all the same

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #9   1/1/09 1:00:05AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

LMAO... apparently you haven't seen too many of my posts describing my feelings for Tito. Disrespect is disrespect in my book, and there are very few exceptions. When it is in response to another's disrespect I'm usually pretty o.k. with it. That's about the only time you'll see me o.k. with any fighter acting that way

Post #10   1/1/09 1:59:34AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Just seems to me that you are still sour about 88.

gsquat?

Post #11   1/1/09 4:35:20AM   

nix7777

Learning to Sprawl

nix7777 Avatar

Career:207-162
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
In a nutshell what made ali great? it was because he was entertaining and he could back up what he said. So until someone shuts him up u cant argue with what he's doing.

Post #12   1/1/09 1:08:43PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
he backs up his antics... it's in the middle of a fight, he can disrespect the other fighter all he wants, especially if he backs it up.

Rampage won't play that ish though... he won't have the luxury of starting off slow just like he didn't against Tito.

Post #13   1/1/09 1:23:00PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rashad isn't the first fighter to do this kinda crap and he sure won't be the last.

Post #14   1/1/09 2:25:46PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,200-1,501
Chips:
Whatever you call it, disrespect, showboating, running your mouth...it isn't cool.
It isn't cool in sports and it isn't cool anywhere else in society either really.
It's cool though...Rashad's day is soon coming.
As soon as Lyoto the Dragon Machida submits Thiago Silva...he is going to do the same to Rashad.

Post #15   1/1/09 3:10:34PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3