Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White opens the door for “The Pitbull” to return

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Speaking to CBS Sports, White explained:

“In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose. That was (Andrei) Arlovski, and it still bothers me.”

“I jumped on a plane and flew to Chicago with Lorenzo (Fertitta) and kissed his butt to try to make him not leave.”

“He wanted to box on HBO. He had a lot of different things that he wanted to do that I couldn’t let him do.”

link

Post #1   12/29/08 1:10:19PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I dont buy this at all, why would he put Andrei on the undercard? Does Affliction pay him more than the UFC did?

Post #2   12/29/08 1:13:12PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

I dont buy this at all, why would he put Andrei on the undercard? Does Affliction pay him more than the UFC did?

Yep. I also think the UFC is going to have to start letting guys do other things or they won't be able to keep the top guys.

Post #3   12/29/08 1:14:35PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Speaking to CBS Sports, White explained:

“In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose. That was (Andrei) Arlovski, and it still bothers me.”

“I jumped on a plane and flew to Chicago with Lorenzo (Fertitta) and kissed his butt to try to make him not leave.”

“He wanted to box on HBO. He had a lot of different things that he wanted to do that I couldn’t let him do.”

link

i wish he would come back! i love watching the pitbull....yet at the same time im glad he left, that way we are able to see the upcoming dream match with fedor....after that i hope he does comeback......i think arlovski is pretty intent on getting in some profesional boxing, hbo might be pushing it, unless he decides to fight on the undercard against a no name....but i read somewhere were roach said he could compete with some good fighters out there...who knows tho.....but when you can command a crowd like he does and have multiple intentions that he does, ufc will have a hard time competing with the price tag

Post #4   12/29/08 1:50:58PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Why would he lie about a guy about to fight in another org by saying he wish he wouldn't have lost him as a fighter and kissed his butt trying to get him to stay. If he was going to lie he would trash talk Andrei and say he could care less if he stayed or left because he isn't good enough to make it in the UFC. Dana is basically saying he wish he could have keep Andrei around. BTW the UFC has enough problems with fighters getting hurt just training for fights imagine if they let them fight in other orgs or play other combat sports. Not only does your risk of injury go way up but also the chance your fighter could loss there fight and by doing so they loss creditability the UFC and the fighter have built up.

Post #5   12/29/08 2:12:16PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
Ok now I'm confused about the contracts. I thought that if they win (which Arlovski did win his last fight) then UFC can automatically renew the contract whether the fighter likes it or not. I thought that the contracts were designed to basically "own" the fighters for the rest of their lives unless UFC makes the decision to drop them?

Post #6   12/29/08 5:08:17PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
This was a huge loss. I agree with above post that if he's so sad about losing a superstar like Arlovski, why'd he put him on the undercard? Until he loses, he should never be any worse that the third headlining fight.

Post #7   12/29/08 5:13:55PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

This was a huge loss. I agree with above post that if he's so sad about losing a superstar like Arlovski, why'd he put him on the undercard? Until he loses, he should never be any worse that the third headlining fight.

He was fighting Jake O'Brien and the fights above it were much sexier match ups. There are alot of top tier guys that end up on the under card.

Post #8   12/29/08 5:29:21PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Mayo

Ok now I'm confused about the contracts. I thought that if they win (which Arlovski did win his last fight) then UFC can automatically renew the contract whether the fighter likes it or not. I thought that the contracts were designed to basically "own" the fighters for the rest of their lives unless UFC makes the decision to drop them?

The time ran out on the contract since they benched him for so damm long and the winning clause, i think, is mainly for the belt holders. But this was a huge loss but a guy AA was gettin into so much that the UFC contract wouldnt work. and i think AA is gonna go into boxing. would love to see AA vs Klitschko which Roach says AA has the potential to reach.

Post #9   12/29/08 5:50:21PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

Posted by gsquat

He was fighting Jake O'Brien and the fights above it were much sexier match ups. There are alot of top tier guys that end up on the under card.

But that of cousre is opinionated. I would've much rather seen Arlovski vs anyone than Kongo/Herring.

Post #10   12/29/08 5:56:49PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Andrei has been given a breath of fresh air since leaving the UFC, he is probably getting paid more and getting very high profile fights (pretty much the highest you can get at this point). It would be a waste of talent for him to go back to the UFC to fight only up and comers, especially when Affliction and other orgs are willing to throw him up against the likes of Barnett and Fedor. Easy decision for Andrei in my opinion.

Post #11   12/29/08 6:08:12PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:
I think it makes sense for a guy like "the Pitbull" to go into Boxing. I never liked his game on the ground and I think he has 1 of the best striking I have seen in MMA other than Anderson Silva. What ever he wants to do I'm fine with it !

Post #12   12/29/08 9:23:14PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:
What about Arlovski Vs. Overeem or Velasquez ????

Post #13   12/29/08 9:43:34PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think andre will come back before the end of next year he has alot of fights to do

mir, big nog, couture, kongo, gonzaga
he has fights to last next 3 years if he chooses

Post #14   12/29/08 10:23:23PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
I think out of Sylvia and Andre, Dana would want AA way more. I think he's a easier fighter to market and also there are a lot of HWs in the UFC divisions that he still hasnt fought. He worth bringing back if he sets boxing down and focuses on MMA

Post #15   12/30/08 12:34:38AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2