Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SATOSHI ISHII STARTS EXCLUSIVE NEGOTIATIONS WITH UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
Ishii yesterday started exclusive negotiations to enter into a contract with the UFC.

LINK

Post #1   12/28/08 2:55:40PM   

JulesWinnfield

Learning to Sprawl

JulesWinnfield Avatar

Career:132-74
Chips:
Cool, Japan's savior to MMA is comin' stateside.

Good stuff, and It looks like he is taking the right steps to be successful. Visiting Couture's and such, to get the right training.

Post #2   12/28/08 4:11:40PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Good grief, I didn't really know much about this guy but I am very excited after some reading. Some crazy strong Judoka who is young and very strong looking. The guy is a natural 240 and in olympic condition, I can only imagine what some time in the lab with couture and the boys will do. Good sign by the UFC, also a smart play on his part. I just pray this guy isn't another Soko, I would rather wait for a fighter to get some seasoning before he makes the mainstage then watch him get taken out, then the road back is that much harder. Last nights carnage and shattering of all expectations is just heralding a really interesting and dynamic year in the ufc to come. Good time to be a fan.

Post #3   12/28/08 4:12:28PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Didn't DREAM already sling a ton of money his direction? Or am I thinking of someone else? I could have swore that there was talk at one point that he may have faught Fedor this NYE which fell through. But I'm almost positive DREAM handed him a huge chunk of change to secure his rights.

Post #4   12/28/08 4:13:02PM   

JulesWinnfield

Learning to Sprawl

JulesWinnfield Avatar

Career:132-74
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Didn't DREAM already sling a ton of money his direction? Or am I thinking of someone else? I could have swore that there was talk at one point that he may have faught Fedor this NYE which fell through. But I'm almost positive DREAM handed him a huge chunk of change to secure his rights.

I believe he was supposed to sign with FEG..And then announced as a major signing at the NYE's event, but the guy stated he "He wants to fight in the UFC"
Next thing you know Dana White is inviting him to come see UFC 92..He never signed any contracts with FEG or any other org as far as I know..I did read that FEG was prepared to give him a ton of cash, but the dude turned it down to come stateside.

Post #5   12/28/08 4:26:23PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Post #6   12/28/08 4:50:03PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by JulesWinnfield

Posted by bojangalz Didn't DREAM already sling a ton of money his direction? Or am I thinking of someone else? I could have swore that there was talk at one point that he may have faught Fedor this NYE which fell through. But I'm almost positive DREAM handed him a huge chunk of change to secure his rights.
I believe he was supposed to sign with FEG..And then announced as a major signing at the NYE's event, but the guy stated he "He wants to fight in the UFC" Next thing you know Dana White is inviting him to come see UFC 92..He never signed any contracts with FEG or any other org as far as I know..I did read that FEG was prepared to give him a ton of cash, but the dude turned it down to come stateside.

I'm sure he was also concerned with the possibility that FEG wouldn't pay him like they apparently aren't with a lot of their fighters.

Post #7   12/28/08 6:45:55PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
I want this man to be in the UFC. He could be such a huge draw in Japan. If he trains hard, with the right people. he could be a real force!

Post #8   12/28/08 7:50:55PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by gartface

I'm sure he was also concerned with the possibility that FEG wouldn't pay him like they apparently aren't with a lot of their fighters.

Lol that was 1 or 2 guys who claimed that, and they still continued to fight for FEG so I don't really buy it. I think he'll see how much the UFC is going to offer and he'll be dissapointed.

Post #9   12/28/08 8:10:03PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I don't understand how the UFC is going to sign someone without any experience? I sort of barely understood with Brock, but Judo is an entirely different game. You knew Brock would be at least ok because he's so damn huge, but Ishii doesn't have this going for him and wrestling is entirely different than Judo. Especially considering that the rumor is he's having trouble adapting to striking.

Post #10   12/28/08 8:28:45PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by gartface

Lol that was 1 or 2 guys who claimed that, and they still continued to fight for FEG so I don't really buy it. I think he'll see how much the UFC is going to offer and he'll be dissapointed.

Yea probably lol I dont think the UFC is offering anything that FEG would. I think the UFC may surprise us though if they plan to venture into the Asian continent. Though if they do in fact go there I think Rampage and Wandy on a card would bring in the fans....still hoping for Akiyama to sign personally

Post #11   12/28/08 8:32:51PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I know the Japan angle, but come on, the UFC cuts guys like Werdum, in Japan guys are superstars if they put on a good show. Look at Yoshida, he is probably one of if not the biggest draws over there and his record isn't great. To me it just makes no sense for either side.

Post #12   12/28/08 8:46:19PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I love America!

Post #13   12/28/08 8:58:08PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I know the Japan angle, but come on, the UFC cuts guys like Werdum, in Japan guys are superstars if they put on a good show. Look at Yoshida, he is probably one of if not the biggest draws over there and his record isn't great. To me it just makes no sense for either side.

Agreed just don't know. HE may just want to fight the best? but even then the HW's in the ufc aren't extremely great unless he can make LHW which i have no idea.

I especially agree with you on the idea that Japan is different.The UFC will chew him up and spit him out if he doesn't succeed on the contrary in Japan if ya fight like a warrior you will always get paid. On top of that he could really get built up in Japan and get paid ridiculously while doing it and then transition into the UFC.

Post #14   12/28/08 9:36:20PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Perhaps he figures coming to the US to train in Gyms Like Couture's and such will get him to the top faster then in Japan.. In Japan he probably is not able to train properly as he most likely gets hounded where he goes. Here in the states he will not be known by most and can train seriously with some of the top camps

And as for the person who said that most of his moves require a GI you need to study more judo. Many of the moves can be accomplished with out even actually grabbing your opponent. True the Gi gives you more leverage and power but many can still be done. With proper training and long as he does not jump right in with the top competition he could become good and and more depth to the HW division where I hope he stays.

Post #15   12/28/08 10:05:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2