Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 94 Lineup in Place; Fitch Relegated to Dark Match Duty

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
//www.sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-94-lineup-in-place-fitch-relegated-to-dark-match-duty-15577

Fitch on the undercard? Dana is defenitly trying to show his power IMO. Preyy stupid if you ask me.

Post #1   12/23/08 6:28:40PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,200-1,311
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:

Yellowcard for repost.

Post #2   12/23/08 6:50:13PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

Yellowcard for repost.

Instead of deleting duplicates I think the yellow card is sufficient punishment.

Post #3   12/23/08 6:58:25PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,051-1,270
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
sounds like youre right...its unfortunate that as teh sport grows so much, so does the bull$hit.. he doesnt deserve main event, but certainly a televised fight... sucks how politics are too involved now and i feel are negatively influencing some aspects of the sport...fighters , good or bad, can now be made or broken, just because of politics..

Post #4   12/23/08 7:40:20PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
same thing happened to arlovski
dana's sending a message don't cross him!!

Post #5   12/23/08 8:02:05PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
Dana is such a retard sometimes. He'll do anything to prove he's in charge. This is just bad marketing, you need to keep people thinking and knowing who Jon Fitch is. He needs to keep building on fighters like Fitch, not giving them under-card fights. It's also a slap in the face to Jon and MMA fans, he's a top 3 WW on most people's list and we don't even get a guarantee to see him fight at UFC 94?

Post #6   12/23/08 8:14:56PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
The real "problem" is that there are so many good fighters in the UFC.
Look at the fighters who have fought on the under cards of the last 10 or so UFCs.
There are some pretty big names in there.
Maybe the preliminary bouts should be aired live on a cable station.
The bouts can be seen on UFC Unleashed and at the UFC website though.
I think a factor that plays heavily in the mix is that Fitch just lost a title shot.
He isn't going to get another one till he works his way back up the ladder.
GSP has business with Penn.
Thiago Alves has business with GSP as well.
Lets not forget Mike Swick, Marcus Davis, Chris Lytle, Josh Koscheck, Diego Sanchez, Rory Markham and a bunch of young guns as well.
Fitch may never get a shot at the 170 lb title again.
If he does...it will be a couple years down the road.
I like Fitch but I think his under card status is purely a business move.
Two or three wins and they will start to showcase him again.

Post #7   12/23/08 8:40:00PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,200-1,311
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
this fight should be switched with the Bonnar vs Jones fight.

Post #8   12/23/08 8:52:06PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

The real "problem" is that there are so many good fighters in the UFC.
Look at the fighters who have fought on the under cards of the last 10 or so UFCs.
There are some pretty big names in there.
Maybe the preliminary bouts should be aired live on a cable station.
The bouts can be seen on UFC Unleashed and at the UFC website though.
I think a factor that plays heavily in the mix is that Fitch just lost a title shot.
He isn't going to get another one till he works his way back up the ladder.
GSP has business with Penn.
Thiago Alves has business with GSP as well.
Lets not forget Mike Swick, Marcus Davis, Chris Lytle, Josh Koscheck, Diego Sanchez, Rory Markham and a bunch of young guns as well.
Fitch may never get a shot at the 170 lb title again.
If he does...it will be a couple years down the road.
I like Fitch but I think his under card status is purely a business move.
Two or three wins and they will start to showcase him again.

A couple years down the road? Dude, the man is tied with only Royce Gracie and Anderson Silva for most consecutive wins in the UFC, and many of those were in dark matches. The man is the second best welterweight in the world right now, I don't see how anyone can debate that, especially with a key win over Thiago Alves, yet he basically only received a title shot because he destroyed all those in his wake. This fact remains, there are very few top welterweights who would have a chance in hell of beating Fitch, in and out of the UFC. As has been stated, this is clearly a power move by Dana to show Fitch where he stands, and that you can't talk shit about Dana and get away with it. Everyone knows Dana is a genius, but if you get on his bad side, he acts like a friggin power hungry 12 year old. Lorenzo embarrassed Dana by reversing his decision to oust Fitch, because Lorenzo knows how valuable Fitch is, which Dana actually knows as well, but he needs to save face. Fitch needs to do like he always does, and just shut up and let his talents do the talking, because once he starts bumping off contenders left and right (including Alves once again), not even Dana will be able to deny him the spotlight once again.

Post #9   12/23/08 9:35:02PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

Yellowcard for repost.

We should have yellow cards in the message icons that could be fun!

Post #10   12/23/08 9:51:49PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by postman

We should have yellow cards in the message icons that could be fun!

agreed:

Post #11   12/23/08 10:35:29PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Nice icon.

Last edited 12/23/08 11:08PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   12/23/08 10:39:04PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,413-1,434
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
A couple years down the road? Dude, the man is tied with only Royce Gracie and Anderson Silva for most consecutive wins in the UFC, and many of those were in dark matches. The man is the second best welterweight in the world right now, I don't see how anyone can debate that, especially with a key win over Thiago Alves, yet he basically only received a title shot because he destroyed all those in his wake. This fact remains, there are very few top welterweights who would have a chance in hell of beating Fitch, in and out of the UFC. As has been stated, this is clearly a power move by Dana to show Fitch where he stands, and that you can't talk shit about Dana and get away with it. Everyone knows Dana is a genius, but if you get on his bad side, he acts like a friggin power hungry 12 year old. Lorenzo embarrassed Dana by reversing his decision to oust Fitch, because Lorenzo knows how valuable Fitch is, which Dana actually knows as well, but he needs to save face. Fitch needs to do like he always does, and just shut up and let his talents do the talking, because once he starts bumping off contenders left and right (including Alves once again), not even Dana will be able to deny him the spotlight once again.

Very well put man. Fitch should be getting another shot by Late 2009 or early 2010. I think they should have him fight Shields after he beats Gono.

Post #13   12/23/08 10:57:41PM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:
lets relax ppl the odds are it'll be shown anyways.

big whoop if its not live, no difference to people watching at home

Post #14   12/23/08 11:04:29PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
If there's money, there's politics. The UFC is a billion dollar company, and they didn't get that way by being pushovers. I agree that I think its messed up to have Jon Fitch on the undercard for talent purposes however, I do think that the reasons behind it may be legit. Let's think about it.

First, there was a dispute over the UFC video game contract with Jon Fitch. If Fitch is allowed to get away with not signing it, then Deigo Sanchez will feel he doesn't have to agree to it. Then Kenny Florian will feel he doesn't have to either. One by one fighters will begin to think that they can do whatever they want, and soon enough no ones signed the contract and there is no UFC video game. That would mean millions and millions of dollars lost for the UFC. This is why they are not playing around. When fighters feel like they can control their contracts, they will begin to think that they have supreme power. This will lead to things like them wanting to pick their fights and demand pay increases. If every fighter had the same pull as Chuck Liddell I can only imagine how horrible the UFC would become.

The UFC needs to have power, and they need to execute it in order to show people they run the show and you will do what they say. The athletes in the UFC love to fight, its their passion. If they can make a good, and for some people, a fantastic living, they shouldn't be complaining. They have it better than 98% of the world. Sure, they wanted Jon Fitch to sign away something or another or what not. But if he didn't, where would he be? Fighting for Affliction twice a year until they go out of business, and then jobless. Its a blessing to fight in the UFC, you aren't going to get it better anywhere else.

Second, I think another reason Bonnar's fight may be on the televised portion of the card instead of Fitch's is because of Bonnar's co-hosting on MMA Live. MMA Live broadcasts on ESPN, which millions of people watch. That means that Bonnar is sure to picked up more fame and generated more fans. He's a publicaly known face of MMA and the UFC, and I think that could be a good reason of why he is fighting on the main card. Jon Fitch not signing the contract, which angered Dana White, although its the controversial issue, that might have just been the icing on the cake. White is all about marketing and selling shows. If he thinks that Bonnar will get more sales than Fitch since Bonnar is on ESPN now, he'll throw Fitch aside, no doubt about it. Just look at the case of Brock Lesnar.

Overall, even though Fitch may have pissed Dana off, I don't think that's the sole reason of him being on the undercard. I think that Stephan Bonnar's ESPN fame may have a lot to do with it as well.

Post #15   12/23/08 11:47:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2