Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mirko Crocop Interview - Talks Hong man Choi

Print  
Posted By Message

kastro_316

Banned

Career:-
Chips:
DreamFighters.com

Talks about Choi, compares to Sapp, and talks fedor

Post #1   12/20/08 3:05:57PM   

bosanceros

MMA Regular

bosanceros Avatar

Career:588-301
Chips:
y is he fighting this freak on the same card that he was suppose to fight overeem but now isnt..... does anyone know y he didnt end up fighting overeem... did he just chicken out

Post #2   12/20/08 5:51:16PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by bosanceros

y is he fighting this freak on the same card that he was suppose to fight overeem but now isnt..... does anyone know y he didnt end up fighting overeem... did he just chicken out

FEG scrapped it. Just curious why everyone still calls choi a freak, he's big trouble for anyone he faces.

Post #3   12/20/08 7:54:17PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

FEG scrapped it. Just curious why everyone still calls choi a freak, he's big trouble for anyone he faces.

agreed, i don't understand how people continue to write him off. he is a professional kickboxer after all; it's not like he is just big and that's it. he has wins over Mighty Mo, Goodridge, Bob Sapp and Semmy Schilt (arguable the best K-1 fighter of all time). also, JLB claims that Choi punches 4 times harder than Peter Aerts. i really don't get how people continue to write him off as nothing but a freakshow.

Post #4   12/20/08 8:07:51PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

agreed, i don't understand how people continue to write him off. he is a professional kickboxer after all; it's not like he is just big and that's it. he has wins over Mighty Mo, Goodridge, Bob Sapp and Semmy Schilt (arguable the best K-1 fighter of all time). also, JLB claims that Choi punches 4 times harder than Peter Aerts. i really don't get how people continue to write him off as nothing but a freakshow.

Been saying that same stuff for a while now, but people just don't want to hear it.

Post #5   12/20/08 9:16:46PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I wouldn't say he is a just a freak. He is also a very capable kickboxer. Does that make him a capable mixed martial artist? No. He demonstrated his lack of basic fundamental MMA technique by leaving his arm laying on Fedors chest while he attempted to ground and pound 'The Last Emperor", even after Fedor nearly slapped on a fight finishing armbar. In fact, he did this again mere seconds later but this time was unable to escape and was forced to tap out. Will any of this matter against Cro Cop? Probably not, but the fact remains, his MMA game is limited at best.

Post #6   12/20/08 10:02:43PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by IriShame

I wouldn't say he is a just a freak. He is also a very capable kickboxer. Does that make him a capable mixed martial artist? No. He demonstrated his lack of basic fundamental MMA technique by leaving his arm laying on Fedors chest while he attempted to ground and pound 'The Last Emperor", even after Fedor nearly slapped on a fight finishing armbar. In fact, he did this again mere seconds later but this time was unable to escape and was forced to tap out. Will any of this matter against Cro Cop? Probably not, but the fact remains, his MMA game is limited at best.

Fact is, he would be nearly impossible to take down and get on top of and not everyone is Fedor when it comes to armbars.

Post #7   12/20/08 10:37:59PM   

MikeyG

Standup Guy

MikeyG Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bosanceros

I defend Choi as well but he looked awful against Ray Sefo recently, very slow, Cro Cop should get a KO or Decision.

Post #8   12/20/08 11:14:24PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
The story goes FEG scrapped the fight, but if Mirko had of been campaigning for the fight to go ahead like allister was id bet my last penny the fight would of gone ahead. I remember an interveiw with Mirko where he actually said he wouldnt fight overeem becouse of his injury. Mabeys it wasnt legit thought.

Post #9   12/21/08 12:11:50AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by IriShame

Fact is, he would be nearly impossible to take down and get on top of and not everyone is Fedor when it comes to armbars.

I agree, not everyone has Fedor's submission skills but if you're going to leave your arm out there for the taking it doesn't take a black belt to slap on an armbar. The fact that Fedor is Fedor makes it even more inexcusable to show such a lack of basic fundamental technique. Just a glaring example of Choi's lack of a multi-faceted MMA game. Stick to kickboxing.

Post #10   12/21/08 4:17:34PM