Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction: "Winner of Barnett/Yvle will face winner of Fedor/Arlovski

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by Aether

You're missing the point. You are not in the UFC, there's a reason for that. You can't compare an unskilled fighter to a skilled fighter. In leagues like the UFC, Affliction, the old PRIDE, the majority of the fighters were highly skilled, and when everyone is highly skilled smaller differences like size become far more important. Size doesn't matter in a fight between you and Miguel Torres because you're not nearly as good a fighter as he is. Size makes a massive difference when it's Forrest Griffin against Miguel Torres because they're both world class fighters, so the bigger world class fighter has a large advantage because there's very little difference in their overall ability.

It's foolish to compare Kimo or yourself to the guys competing at the top of the food chain today. Like I already stated, if the big guy is not skilled his size isn't going to help him much, but if both people are around the same skill level, size makes a big difference.

You're essentially saying that weight classes are completely unnecessary because size is not an issue in any fight.

That is completely ludicrous.

the fact that you spent that much time arguing that point is hilarious. it's like busting out scientific evidence that the sky is blue.

Post #31   12/19/08 11:05:39AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by AO

Posted by Aether

You're missing the point. You are not in the UFC, there's a reason for that. You can't compare an unskilled fighter to a skilled fighter. In leagues like the UFC, Affliction, the old PRIDE, the majority of the fighters were highly skilled, and when everyone is highly skilled smaller differences like size become far more important. Size doesn't matter in a fight between you and Miguel Torres because you're not nearly as good a fighter as he is. Size makes a massive difference when it's Forrest Griffin against Miguel Torres because they're both world class fighters, so the bigger world class fighter has a large advantage because there's very little difference in their overall ability.

It's foolish to compare Kimo or yourself to the guys competing at the top of the food chain today. Like I already stated, if the big guy is not skilled his size isn't going to help him much, but if both people are around the same skill level, size makes a big difference.

You're essentially saying that weight classes are completely unnecessary because size is not an issue in any fight.

That is completely ludicrous.

the fact that you spent that much time arguing that point is hilarious. it's like busting out scientific evidence that the sky is blue.

Ahh but the sky is not blue.. the sky is actually colorless...

And while Fedor is obviously the #1 HW I would have him at #1 or 2 as a P4P. probably tied for #1 though who else to put there is harder to argue... Fedor has been simply dominant in all his fights. name one or two other fighters who are as dominant regardless of the size of thier competition.... HW's are usually left out of P4P or not given proper credit because its harder for them to fight other weight classes... Chuck Liddell is a LHW.. but he cuts to get there many fighters cut to get to a lower weight class but show up to fight a good 10 pounds out of that weight class.. Hw's usually do not have to cut with some notable exceptions... So really you need to look at records and over all dominance... Its easier to argue in favor of the other weight classes in this debate because they can eat a cheese burger and go up a class and use the batrhoom and drop down a class.. . So it is easy for them to compete in other weight classes..

That is kinda why I like the open weight Grand Prix style events.. its not always the biggest guy who wins.. skill then can truly triumph over size. Look at Gracie in the Early UFC events.. He used skill to beat guys who were twice his weight.. and did it in a convincing fashion. nowadays it would be alot harder as skill sets ahve become more well rounded.

Post #32   12/19/08 1:25:48PM   

Frost_777

MMA Regular

Frost_777 Avatar

Career:988-697
Camp: TKO
Chips:
i think alot of people are forgetting what the p4p standings actually represent, it is not about if you can fight and win over top competition at a higher or lower weight class, these rankings are all about skill it is about if fedor and anderson were the same weight and same size who's skills would earn them the victory, weight classes mean absolutly nothing in the ranking system it is all about if you took your skill set against anyone elses skill set would you be victorious regardless of physical advantages and disadvantages. on that note i beleive fedor is the top pound 4 pound fighter in the world because his skill wins him his fights and not one person he has faced has (really) beat him or out classed him with skill, if he beats andrei and barnett then no one else should be able to argue that he is the best.

Post #33   12/19/08 4:39:43PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
i think if Yvel beats Barney it will be one of the biggest upsets ever. That said. No on is giving AA a chance here. I think the ifght between Fedor and himself is a close one, can't wait to watch it.

Post #34   12/19/08 5:22:23PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3