Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tim Sylvia: Brock Wrong For The Sport

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I agree with Timmy. A 2-1 guy should never of been given the title shot and thats that.

The best guy should be the champ. If Brock is the best then all the power to him for being so at 2-1. If he beats Nog (who I guarantee will beat Mir) then no more haters on this guys credibility.

Post #16   12/17/08 12:35:58PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Posted by Aaronno9

I agree with Timmy. A 2-1 guy should never of been given the title shot and thats that.

The best guy should be the champ. If Brock is the best then all the power to him for being so at 2-1. If he beats Nog (who I guarantee will beat Mir) then no more haters on this guys credibility.

Im not a hater. I think Brocks incredibly talented, even if he is a little rough around the edges. I dont think any fighter, regardless of skill, background, or previous occupation deserves a title shot at 2-1. Unless its like they loose to nog, then beat fedor and Andrei or something along those lines. Not beating a journeyman and a nobody with a defeat in between.

Post #17   12/17/08 12:44:29PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Anyone Recall Randy's record when he fought for his first title? What Was anderson Silva's UFC record when he got his title?

Its should not be just about record.. but as stated before is the person capable of doing the job and holding thier own in the fight, they should get the chance.. espically since really there was no one else available to take the fight with Randy. Give Brock Credit.. He is the UFC HW Champ. He was given a trial by Fire and so far is passing.. He did get burned a little but he seems to have learned from it. Now we'll see who is going to Win between Mir and Nog. The winner is going to give Brock his biggest test over all.. Will he face Mir the one guy who has already beat him and be able to avoid making another mistake? Or will he face nog who is the #2 HW in the world right now. If Brock can win either fight. He has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Even if he were to lose he has proven he belongs in MMA, he still has a lot to learn but I think 2-3 years from now he will be either still holding the belt or have re-earned it back. And if Brock does go against Nog and some how finish him. Dana better get a fight with Fedor cause even Fedor could not finish Nog.

Post #18   12/17/08 2:37:27PM   

MikeyG

Standup Guy

MikeyG Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Anyone Recall Randy's record when he fought for his first title? What Was anderson Silva's UFC record when he got his title?

Its should not be just about record.. but as stated before is the person capable of doing the job and holding thier own in the fight, they should get the chance.. espically since really there was no one else available to take the fight with Randy. Give Brock Credit.. He is the UFC HW Champ. He was given a trial by Fire and so far is passing.. He did get burned a little but he seems to have learned from it. Now we'll see who is going to Win between Mir and Nog. The winner is going to give Brock his biggest test over all.. Will he face Mir the one guy who has already beat him and be able to avoid making another mistake? Or will he face nog who is the #2 HW in the world right now. If Brock can win either fight. He has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Even if he were to lose he has proven he belongs in MMA, he still has a lot to learn but I think 2-3 years from now he will be either still holding the belt or have re-earned it back. And if Brock does go against Nog and some how finish him. Dana better get a fight with Fedor cause even Fedor could not finish Nog.

even all that cant disguise the fact that he was 1-1 upon a title shot and thats a slap in the face to the sport and the guys who have been in this sport and the UFC forever and couldnt get their dues but brock gets it off his name, its b/s no matter what topping you or anyone else puts on it

Post #19   12/17/08 4:33:52PM   

PolishPride

Learning to Sprawl

PolishPride Avatar

Career:107-53
Chips:
Someone sounds a little jealous!

Post #20   1/27/09 11:00:22PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is coming from the guy that thinks it would be a good match up for him and Ken Shamrock to fight.

Post #21   1/27/09 11:13:53PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Spot on !!! Timmy has a valid argument, who gets a title shot after 1-1 record in the UFC. NO - ONE does. Every fighter, unless you are chuck liddell had to work their ways up the ranks from the bottom of the pile. Why the hell did brock serpass the likes of up and comers like gonzaga, carwin, kongo and werdum ??
I think the answer lays with dana white, He wanted couture out of the belt picture, he knew brock would pummel couture off the podium. A cheap shot either way you look at it. Now all eyes on on mir to salvage back the respect and honour this sport still has to offer. Brocks immediate entrance in the UFC has damaged MMA.

Post #22   1/28/09 4:29:35PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Wolfenstein

I don't think Brock is wrong for the sport, but I do think it hurt's the UFC and MMA's credibility giving a title shot to a guy 2-1.

I second that.

Brock has got talent,but when the biggest MMA org in the world has a heavy weight champion that doesn't even have 10 fights under his belt,well that doesn't speak much for the division.
(don't get me wrong the UFC has a lot of amazing HW's,but from an outside perspective it can't look good)

They simply did it because Brock bring in money.

Watch.It will only be a matter of time before some second rate promotions will give guys like Bobby Lashley title shots by the hand full.

Last edited 1/28/09 5:10PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   1/28/09 5:08:29PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Brock should have faught more than what he did to get a title shot, but Tim's a sour ass.

Post #24   1/28/09 5:15:15PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I guess Tim's style of sitting on the outside or pushing people against the cage for 25 minutes to hold his belt was much better for the sport. As far as I'm concerned what is good for the sport is what brings more fans and money in, Tim did neither of those things. Brock does both of those things. I don't know about the rest of you but from around arlovski sylvia 3 onwards I was never excited about a card where Tim was defending his belt. Except of course when Randy took it away from him.

Post #25   1/28/09 7:29:12PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2