Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coming Soon: WAMMA Lightweight Champion?

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Nothing is official yet, but Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez on 12/31 may determine the #1 Lightweight in the World not named BJ Penn. There are early talks among all involved parties to use the fight to determine the first WAMMA Lightweight Champion.

Article

Post #1   12/14/08 3:42:28PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
eventhough hellboy just beat Aoki. makes a lot of sense

Post #2   12/14/08 4:04:48PM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Career:409-266
Chips:
These WAMMA titles are a joke.

I quote the WAMMA site:

"Recognition of Champions.
To recognize the best fighter in each division as the champion of the world, having won such a title in competition, in compliance with all provisions of this Constitution, and the Rules and Regulations of WAMMA."

How in the hell are you going to crown a champion when your own rankings do not recognize them as the best. WAMMA's rankings have Penn as the best. If WAMMA was really concerned about recognizing the best in each weight class they would say instead that the UFC title is recognized as the WAMMA title as the Number 1 Fighter in that weight class holds it.

The only reason they seem to use these titles is to make the fight 5 rounds.

WAMMA is a good idea but there is no way around the UFC and it does not look like there will be a way for a long time.

Post #3   12/14/08 4:10:07PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Credit WAMMA for attempting to put order to chaos, but until they have all the top guys in the mix, their belts and rankings don't hold water. Until they can secure a relationship with all the top organizations that's just going to be the way it is.

I find it hard to believe that FEG would host an event for a WAMMA title as they already have their own organizaton belts. Right now WAMMA is essentially just Affliction's version of a champion.

Post #4   12/14/08 4:58:54PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
besides the HW div, the best of the best are in the UFC

Post #5   12/14/08 5:01:53PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
I have to agree with one of the gentleman above me.
There is no way around the UFC.
Avoiding the UFC is a tremendously bad business move.
The UFC has a great majority of the worlds ranked fighters.
BJ Penn is the number one 155lber in the world....period.
Cooperating with the UFC would legitimatize WAMMA.
Otherwise they are just a farce...not much better than the EliteXC debacle.
So Anderson Silva isn't the best 185lber? So Miguel Torres isn't the best 135lber?
Absurd.

Post #6   12/14/08 5:16:31PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
The idea is all good with WAMMA but it just doesnt work when the Top org will not reconize it. That would take aways power from the actual UFC titles if they could cross promotions.
It is lame to have this as a title for WAMMA. Maybe they are trying to make it as a #1 contender if they every fight BJ. I think everyone sees Fedor as the best HW not for this belt so its kinda pointless.

Post #7   12/14/08 5:17:06PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Cut these guys a bit opf a break. they are trying to build Hype for this fight and have to compete with the UFC at the same time. Actually i think they are doing a good job. Affliction will prosper if they can gain some mainstream angle....HDNET, Versus, somthing. Somewhere they can call home. They do have some of the top 10 guys in the HW division and a lot of good talent coming from other fight orgs. ALA Alverez vs Akoi. If they want to call it a title fight i have no problem with it.

Post #8   12/14/08 8:45:19PM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bls1919

Cut these guys a bit opf a break. they are trying to build Hype for this fight and have to compete with the UFC at the same time. Actually i think they are doing a good job. Affliction will prosper if they can gain some mainstream angle....HDNET, Versus, somthing. Somewhere they can call home. They do have some of the top 10 guys in the HW division and a lot of good talent coming from other fight orgs. ALA Alverez vs Akoi. If they want to call it a title fight i have no problem with it.

WAMMA is one org i never give a break. If they want to do what they say they need to stop contradicting themselves.

And WAMMA is not Affliction, nor is Affliction hosting this fight. It's a K-1 event as far as i know but most def not affliction.

If this fight is in Japan than this title thing makes no sense as there is no AC's to stop the fight form being 5 rds, plus Aoki just lost to Hansen like 5 months ago.

You just cannot have a champion that you claim is number one in thier weight class in the world when your own ranking system does not recognize them as such and the Number 1 ranked fighter is not fighting in the bout.

I just want WAMMA to be consistent. That's all.

They NEEEEEDDDD to get in bed with the UFC.

Post #9   12/14/08 11:13:04PM   

BigEvil

Standup Guy

BigEvil Avatar

Career:342-204
Camp: SC MMA
Chips:

Posted by Diamondback2

These WAMMA titles are a joke.

I quote the WAMMA site:

"Recognition of Champions.
To recognize the best fighter in each division as the champion of the world, having won such a title in competition, in compliance with all provisions of this Constitution, and the Rules and Regulations of WAMMA."

How in the hell are you going to crown a champion when your own rankings do not recognize them as the best. WAMMA's rankings have Penn as the best. If WAMMA was really concerned about recognizing the best in each weight class they would say instead that the UFC title is recognized as the WAMMA title as the Number 1 Fighter in that weight class holds it.

The only reason they seem to use these titles is to make the fight 5 rounds.

WAMMA is a good idea but there is no way around the UFC and it does not look like there will be a way for a long time.

These were my thoughts exactly, props.

Post #10   12/15/08 1:22:37PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
from all I understand they have been trying to work with the UFC. its basically the UFC isolationist attitude that is preventing this concept from becoming a great thing. A title like this would give MMA a feeling of legitimacy boxing never had. Each org has their own champs in MMA just like boxing.. this is supposed to be a title that knows no org. In concept it is an excellent idea.. and so far only the UFC does not seem to want to get on board. its widely accepted that the UFC has most of the top fighters in every weight class but the HW division. And Dana is never at a loss for words to back it up. If he'd allow his fighters to cross promote. Personally if the UFC fighters are as good as most think they are then letting their fighters fight for this title in cross promotions would only be good for the UFC.
most of the WAMMA titles would quickly be brought into the UFC stable as the top guys in other orgs are beat by the UFC fighters. this would make others watch the UFC more specially in other countries. The UFC is trying to go international.. this would help them. it would get their fighters relatively free exposure in other countries with out the UFC having to do all the ground work to promote there. Really its just Dana not playing well with others. I am sure the fighters themselves if polled would not mind fighting champs from other orgs.

Post #11   12/15/08 2:24:03PM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:
I cannot blame them for not cross-promoting.

Do you see the NFL cross promoting matches with the AFL or anything like that?

Same goes for every sport BESIDES boxing.

The UFC has the dominant name and they are trying to push any competitors out of buisness. It's one of the oldest rules in business.

Do you go into Wal-Mart and see them advertising or selling products for Target?

Notice however that the UFC never seems to get into it with smaller orgs that recgonize they will never be the UFC and are happy being a minor org. Strikeforce is a perfect example. White has been more than complimentary twoards them, he dosen't cross promote but he has never organized a entire card to counter them ala UFN: Silva vs Irvin.

To me i view the UFC belts as the highest and only belts that really matter. PRIDE belts i did too, but that is moot pt now, and WEC obviously in their lighter weight classes (145, 135).

there is already a WAMMA title, it's called the UFC Champion. aside for HW i dont think anyone can make an argument that having another belt would do anything for this sport besides make it worse.

Look at boxing,
can anyone name (without googling it!)
The WBC and WBA heavyweight, welterweight, & light-heavyweight champions?
the name me th IBF and WBO middleweight, lightweight, featherweight and bantemweight champion?

I know i cant and i hate that there is 8,000,000 belts.

It is different to have a champion of a minor org, it is a way to recognize their best fighters and make them stand out as well as have a fighter that can draw a crowd ala Cung Le.

But why have 2 major champs, UFC/WEC and WAMMA? Zuffa has a total lock down on every division from 135-205 so maybe the wamma title makes sense for under 135 and maybe HW, but im sure the UFC will eventually land them. Brock will be a big target as long as he wins.

It's about as redundant as saying ATM Machine (automatic teller machine machine).,,

Post #12   12/15/08 3:40:44PM