Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Poor Officiating" and Inexperienced Competitors

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by McBee

I think Cro Cop is awesome that is why I could not understand why he would fight a guy in a Mask

Pro wrestling is a big thing over there, most of the cans were from pro wrestling and they brought in fans...kinda like Brock without any actual ability.

Or remember Fujita versus the Russian or whatever that was an Olympian of something and he turned tail and fell into the fetal position after Fujita punched him in the face once?

Post #16   12/12/08 3:22:12PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I don't think this was the refs fault.
There are to many times where it look like someone's limb was about to be snapped and either it never happens and the round ends or somehow the the guy with the hold slips and the other guys gets out etc...

When it comes to strikes i think it's easier for the refs to know when to step in. With submissions they always run the risk of the guys saying I never tapped...i was fine etc. I think the responsiblity falls on the fighter for not tapping.

Post #17   12/12/08 3:23:10PM   

TheCelica

Learning to Sprawl

TheCelica Avatar

Career:690-578
Camp: Death
Chips:
The ref stopped it just fine, Hassan was trying to get out but couldn't, but if the ref had stopped it early i don't think he would have compained.

Remember Jeremey Stephens vs Din Thomas? Stephens didnt tap but the ref saved his arm, and i never heard Stephens complain about the stoppage, I think he has quite thankfull.

These fighters are trained to lock in those submissions, and if you don't tap then you pull harder untill they do, thats how thier trained. So lay off on Steve Cantwell for doing what he was trained to do, and if your mad about his antics, wouldn't you be excited about your UFC debut being a highlight reel submission? Hell, Frank Mir has said publicly that he wanted to break Tim's arm, and everyone loves Frank for doing it!

Post #18   12/12/08 6:47:24PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,585-1,609
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by Jim_Dangle Yamasaki couldn't have handled that any better. Al Hussan showed a lot of heart. Cantwell's stupid remarks after the fight are what pissed people off.
What did Cantwell say?

Post #19   12/12/08 6:50:05PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I remember When Sonnen complained I said, "If guys keep complaining the refs won't save them". Now people are mad that the refs aren't jumping in right away. Guy jumps in to early, people are pissed that Filho didn't break his arm, guy jumps in to late, people are pissed his arm wasn't saved. I'd rather see a guy step in earlier, then watch that again.

Post #20   12/12/08 6:53:35PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I sort of felt like Hassan was pushing the pace and maybe even winning the round....there are a lot of guys who don't have the best bjj defense who fight on televised cards...hell Houston Alexander has been on two cards now where he was grounded and layed on his back for a long time, but he's an exciting fighter and thus he gets the main card status. I thought Hassan was doing well minus his lack of head movement. If the ref would have stepped in before the arm broke then everyone would be complaining about it much like they did when Paulo Philio caught Sonnen in the armbar during their first fight, because he didn't he was too tenitive. I understand that it is the refs job to protect the fighter, but if you saw that armbar, then you realize that it broke within a matter of seconds...meaning one or two, when Cantwell pushed his hips through and extended. It wasn't like Hassan wasn't trying to defend. For a moment most of us thought he would get out of it when he rolled into Cantwell ala Rich Franklin against Travis Lutter. He didn't get out, and he didn't tap so his arm was broken. It sucks for the guy, and I hate that it happened, but to say he sucks and was too amateur to tap is crazy. Do you remember the Matt Hughes Royce Gracie fight when Hughes Had Gracie in a side armbar? Royce wasn't going to tap and so Hughes was nice enough to take his back and pound him out. I don't think Gracie qualifies as an amateur ya know? Now as for the unanswered knees....yeaaaaaaaaaaaah...I felt like that went a little long too, but again, if the fight was called then many fans would be upset because it was called too soon. At the end of the day unless you have a knockout like koz had, or a tapout...somebody is going to be upset with a ref or a judge. The same type of argument could be made about Yoshida being out on his feet before koz connected with that looping right. The thing many of us need to realize is that this stuff happens so fast that the guys in the middle of the fighters have to make split second decissions and last night a different decission would have saved an arm, but cause additional controversy. It's easy to say "I would have....." when you know you'll likely never really have to do it. Overall, I thought it was a really good card and raise a good bit of money for a good cause. I hope Hassan heals soon and comes back and learns to tap, but none of the Gracie's would have either so it's unfair to lable him as a bad fighter and I feel like it's unfair to say it was poor officiating as well.

Post #21   12/12/08 7:34:50PM   

SeanSalmonisGod

Banned

SeanSalmonisGod Avatar

Career:37-21
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Yamasaki couldn't have handled that any better. Al Hussan showed a lot of heart. Cantwell's stupid remarks after the fight are what pissed people off.

What did Cantwell say?

He said that he waited his whole career to do that to somebody.

Post #22   12/12/08 8:10:49PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I just want to know who takes the MMA columnists seriously? I cant tell you how many of them are inaccurate and dont know the sport.

I in all honesty can say there is poor officiating in MMA just like in every sport but it is in no way is it as horrendous or as shoddy as the so called journalism, online in the news just about everywhere you look there is some self proclaimed expert who somehow found a way to get his BS in print.

Post #23   12/12/08 9:17:13PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
Not the judges fault at all

Last edited 12/13/08 1:06AM server time by theguido
Edit note/reason: took wrong Quote

Post #24   12/13/08 1:05:12AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2