Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sherk wants to welcome Diego Sanchez to 155

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by Jackelope

LOL, Sherk outwrestled Tyson Griffin and looked almost even with him on the feet. Not to mention no one has ever looked in better shape than Sherk. Now people think Diego, who relies on his wrestling and cardio, is going to beat Sean Sherk?

IMO Diego's only advantage in this fight will be his height.

I couldn't agree more. Also I can't see Diego subbing Sherk and he's more superior with his gnp and maybe even the standup.

Most of you are drastically underrating Diego Sanchez. He was dominant at 170 with his ground and pound, and he'll only be better at 155 because of his size advantage. Don't forget that this guy won TUF1 at 185. He could end up walking into a LW fight at over 170.

Sanchez does need to work on his standup, but I think that he'll be able to take most LWs down and pound on them. Sherk and B.J. are the only two obvious exceptions. But I do think that Sherk will gas late in the fight (and I think most of us know why) and Diego will take over and pound out a decision win in this one.

well sherk is a better wrestler than fitch, and fitch dominated diego, i dont see how the judges saw that a split decision, fitch clearly dominated everywhere it went

why make your lightweight debut against a former champ, fight frankie edgar or nate diaz someone in the top 10 (UFC top 10) to get your hands a little dirty before you dive in head first

Post #16   12/10/08 1:36:40PM   

bosanceros

MMA Regular

bosanceros Avatar

Career:588-301
Chips:
all these fighters that cant become champs at heavier divisions move down to 155 thinking that everyone is lighter and that theyll run right throught them...but light weight is the toughest division in the sport, the most competative and in my opinion has the best fighters in the sport

Post #17   12/10/08 1:59:11PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Ohio -
Diego has been very adamant about him being a more natural fit for a 163 pound division (right after his match-up with fitch dropping a weight class was a hot topic). I really dont think well see him during match time coming in over 170, or even over 163 for that matter, he said he didnt like the way the weight cut affected him, and for him to do it now i think he has to have gotten smaller, or is in preperation for getting smaller.

---------
Sherk is a bad match-up for diego especially in his debut match at a new weight. Sherk has very solid bjj defense and amazing top control with cardio to last throughout any 3 round war regardless of the pace. Diego's key abilities IMO are his well rounded grappling and his frenetic pace he likes to set. The problem against Sherk is that diego's bjj and transition game isnt strong enough to get from his back or sub him off his back IMO. And on the feet Sherk definitely has Diego beat. Everywhere the fight goes sherk is going to be the one setting the pace and the one exhibiting control to the judges... and with diego's mentality of "the most dangerous strikers are those who dont have to worry about being taken down", hes just going to get taken down over and over if sherk feels like it.And what will his cardio be like after the weight cut? Really tough match-up for him IMO.

i think he has what it takes to make a good impact on the division if he can still push the pace like he could at WW, just not against the likes of Sherk, or Penn for that matter.

Post #18   12/10/08 2:04:29PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,253
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
cutting that extra weight could end up effecting Deigo's cardio, which is one of the things he relies on most...and Sherk could definately outwrestle him, and tire him out..

especially if he has a tough cut

Post #19   12/10/08 2:38:25PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I find this to be an appropriate matchup but very tough for Diego. Especiall if Sherk intends on wrestling. But it's all still specualtion at this point.

Post #20   12/10/08 2:51:21PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
If Diego handles the cut well, I see him being a top contender in the LW division.

Sherk/Sanchez would be a very good fight. I would probably pick Sherk by decision. IMO, the only 2 in the weight class that I wouldn't pick Sanchez to beat are Sherk and Penn.

Florian has improved a ton since he and Sanchez fought, but I think it's been proven that Florian has a tough time with the style of fighter that Sanchez is. If they fought again, I would predict Sanchez would pretty much own Florian.

A matchup that I really would want to see is Sanchez and Huerta. IMO, that would be a sick fight.

Post #21   12/10/08 2:59:46PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i think sherk is a great fighter i have him ranked no.2 at lw in the world but i think diego would beat sherk. i still think diego sanchez could be champ at 170 one day. he will be a beast at lw and like penn i think diego would be a step above every other lw fighter in the world.

Post #22   12/10/08 3:30:28PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I think that Diego would beat Sherk. Sanchez has the better stand up and pretty good takedown defense.I think that he would be able to win the fight.

Post #23   12/10/08 3:46:16PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by Jackelope

LOL, Sherk outwrestled Tyson Griffin and looked almost even with him on the feet. Not to mention no one has ever looked in better shape than Sherk. Now people think Diego, who relies on his wrestling and cardio, is going to beat Sean Sherk?

IMO Diego's only advantage in this fight will be his height.

I couldn't agree more. Also I can't see Diego subbing Sherk and he's more superior with his gnp and maybe even the standup.

sherks wrestling is a little overrated, remember when he couldn't bring nick diaz or bj penn or tyson griffin to the ground, something tells me he won't be able to get diego there either.

Post #24   12/10/08 5:39:08PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
IMO, Diego is better on the feet since he beat Lugi on the feet and stopped him, and Lugi's a good striker, not a liddell or Cro Cop, but still a solid striker who I think would take Sherk in a kickboxing match. And BJ Penns no Cro Cop or Wandy either but he still has some great solid striking skills himself and the best thing Sherk's ever did on the feet is survive three rounds against BJ, it's not like he left any bruises or hurt BJ. He got school'd with technique and beating Tyson Griffin on the feet does not make him much better then Diego cuz I think Diego would take it to Tyson on the feet too. Sherk's got an advantage with his wrestling but I don't think it's that big as people may think that he can grind Diego out, I think it will more like a stalemate like Sherk/Diaz against the cage in a wrestling match, and with BJJ I def. think Diego takes it.

I got Diego winning a close, but still unanimous decision. Sherk I think will win the 1st round, but I think Diego will out point him and out work him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and win a unanimous decision. Maybe a split decision but I definitely think Diego's improved greatly and definitetly could take this fight.

Post #25   12/10/08 5:42:53PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
Sherk will get welcomed to a TKO at 155 !!!

Last edited 12/10/08 8:42PM server time by grandmaster313
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   12/10/08 6:42:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

sherks wrestling is a little overrated, remember when he couldn't bring nick diaz or bj penn or tyson griffin to the ground, something tells me he won't be able to get diego there either.

Well Bj Penn has one of (if not the very best) sprawl in mma, Tyson Griffin and Nick diaz both got the shit boxed out of them on the feet IMO, not sure why sherk would want to take them down when hes winning on the feet and he on the norm gets shit for his (sometimes) excruciatingly boring top game.

Post #27   12/10/08 7:03:06PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by nickcuc547

Well Bj Penn has one of (if not the very best) sprawl in mma, Tyson Griffin and Nick diaz both got the shit boxed out of them on the feet IMO, not sure why sherk would want to take them down when hes winning on the feet and he on the norm gets shit for his (sometimes) excruciatingly boring top game.

ture but he tried to take both of them to the ground and couldn't. and I wouldn't say he outboxed the crap out of griffin, that was a close fight.

Post #28   12/10/08 7:14:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Pookie

Posted by nickcuc547

ture but he tried to take both of them to the ground and couldn't. and I wouldn't say he outboxed the crap out of griffin, that was a close fight.

What fight were you watching in Sherk vs. Griffin? If memory serves correctly Sherk was 2/2 on takedowns in that fight, and Griffin didn't land any.

Post #29   12/10/08 7:54:30PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I think Manyard is a perfect place for Sanchez to start. It gives us a a good Idea of where Diego stands in a group full of high energh highly talanted fighters full of strong wrestlers and exciting strikers.

Post #30   12/11/08 10:35:24PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2