Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Phillipe Nover earns Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“My teacher Soca gave me my black belt today. It has been a long journey and I have finally arrived. I’ve been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for over 8 years. To me, obtaining a black belt brings the art to full circle. I will continue to train just as hard as I have been and will strive to the top. Thank you to all my training partners and teachers, especially Soca for believing in me! I only hope to make you all proud next week and bring home victory! I will keep this fire in me burning. My time is now!”

LINK

Post #1   12/8/08 1:08:31PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
thats awesome....not bad for a feinting registrard nurse...haha jk.....he has such a bright future, win or lose after wed.....i was really impressed with this years class, mainly the lightweights..i think there are some future contenders in the 155 mix from this show....and nover is head and shoulders above them all.....anything can happen in the fight with efrain, but i think its gonna be novers night.....from there, i think he's gonna rise quicker than most contestants usually do

Post #2   12/8/08 1:39:46PM   

Jim_Dangle

Banned

Career:87-44
Chips:
Future contenders? That's hilarious. Nover might one day be a contender, but none of the others will. They may have been somewhat evenly matched on TV, but even the gate keepers the UFC has will slaughter the TUF 8 crew.

Post #3   12/8/08 2:23:18PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
everybody has to start somewhere.....did anybody really think that forrest griffin would be lhw champ when he was on the show?.......kaplan and efrain are already solid fighters....young in the game, so give them time, there is a lot of potential there....hence "future" contenders...even junie browning, if he got his head straight and trained seriously, could make some waves.....ya never know were they take theyre careers after this, its all up to them basically

Post #4   12/8/08 2:37:10PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by wiggum everybody has to start somewhere.....did anybody really think that forrest griffin would be lhw champ when he was on the show?.......kaplan and efrain are already solid fighters....young in the game, so give them time, there is a lot of potential there....hence "future" contenders...even junie browning, if he got his head straight and trained seriously, could make some waves.....ya never know were they take theyre careers after this, its all up to them basically
I think a better example than Forrest is the cast of season 5. I'm not sure anyone expected too much from most of those guys, and there are at least 7 solid fighters. Diaz, Maynard, Gamburyan, Wiman, Lauzon, Miller, and Emerson.

Post #5   12/8/08 2:43:26PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Future contenders? That's hilarious. Nover might one day be a contender, but none of the others will. They may have been somewhat evenly matched on TV, but even the gate keepers the UFC has will slaughter the TUF 8 crew.

right now absolutely, but give a few of these guys a couple of years on the undercards and they have potential. Vinny, Bader, Nover, Efrain possibly Junie and Kaplan I think have some upside, and Krystof is already a decent fighter.

Post #6   12/8/08 2:53:27PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by wiggum

everybody has to start somewhere.....did anybody really think that forrest griffin would be lhw champ when he was on the show?.......kaplan and efrain are already solid fighters....young in the game, so give them time, there is a lot of potential there....hence "future" contenders...even junie browning, if he got his head straight and trained seriously, could make some waves.....ya never know were they take theyre careers after this, its all up to them basically

I think a better example than Forrest is the cast of season 5. I'm not sure anyone expected too much from most of those guys, and there are at least 7 solid fighters. Diaz, Maynard, Gamburyan, Wiman, Lauzon, Miller, and Emerson.

A lot of people expected big things from the cast of season 5. Nate Diaz being the brother of Nick was expected to be a future star, Lauzon had just knocked out the opposing coach Jens Pulver, and Gray was a 3 time all american wrestler that people were expecting big things from. I don't think anyone expected Manny to have any success because of his size, but aside from his KO at the hands of Emerson he has looked good.

Post #7   12/8/08 2:59:38PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,397-1,758
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I think the TUF cast is decent but the only one with a shot at ever being a contender (IMO) is Phillipe.

Post #8   12/8/08 3:53:33PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I think that the guy from this season that is going to grow like crazy in the UFC is Eliot Marshall. Vinny also has a lot of potential, and and so do a few other guys, including all of the finalists.

Post #9   12/8/08 3:55:20PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
no doubt in my mind, phillipe is gonna make some noise in the lightweight division

Post #10   12/8/08 3:58:42PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
krystoff has been only mentioned once i think if he gets better at BJJ or some kind of subs he can do some work. as far as the LW's go i wanna see efrain fight a good fighter (not bashing a i mean a established fighter) same with nover. i also think vinny may Sub his way to something then get KTFO

Post #11   12/8/08 5:33:04PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

.kaplan and efrain are already solid fighters.

and kaplan cant be knocked out! its almost an unfair advantage.

i think junie is talented but he needs to train hard and get his head straight and he COULD be something. talent only gets you so far. we'll see saturday night i guess.

Nover is the only one that stood out to me for his fighting ability.

Post #12   12/8/08 6:47:14PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
Nover, Efrain, Vinny, Bader, Marshall, Kryzkof have potential, if Vinny can get a good stand up game he can be unstoppable with his BJJ game, Nover is gonna be a top LW contender soon imo and Kaplan has the best chin ever so he can do good things

Post #13   12/8/08 8:36:29PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Swet good for Nover. He is a beast in the cage. He should do well for himself in the octagon.

Post #14   12/8/08 9:14:14PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
congratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #15   12/8/08 10:13:37PM