Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Slams HBO PPV

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Boxing will never die in the real sense, but it was the king of combat sports for.... is forever too much of an exageration? I think it either has relinquished that crown or is about to.

Most boxers don't have the all around skills to even think about entering mma. Some of the small name ones who realize they have a good striking game that can be combined w/ other games (ground, clinch etc) are starting to get the more well rounded game... but in essence the majority of boxers are just that. And that has such a long standing history that there's tons more young boxers than mma guys.

I know that most of my friends (most aren't big fans of either sport) prefer the speed of matches and finishes in mma than the drawn out boxing matches. I watch boxing occassionally but will always be an mma guy. The last boxing match that I didn't watch on either free tv or the comp was RJJ in late 02 or early 03. It doesn't have the same excitement to me, but there are plenty who disagree and boxing will always have an audience.

I do prefer UFC's production to any other combat sport.

Post #16   12/7/08 10:48:49PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:

Posted by Mycroft

Posted by Porch28

Does Dana ever say anything nice about another promotion?

He says nice things about Strike Force.

Yes, and Rogan's said good things about the IFL and Bodog as well, which I am sure was Ok'd by Dana.

Post #17   12/7/08 11:38:38PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
I can see that boxing is dying slowly. Whether they out do MMA for live gates and PPV does not really matter. I used to be an ametuer boxer and it used to be HUGE. There were clubs all over the state and a couple of huge promotions every month. Now there are NO clubs left and the ones that are still around have givin up thier gyms and do it out of basements because no one is interested. I'm just speaking on a personal level from someone who used to compete. Now MMA gyms are popping up like crazy. Its hard for me not to believe that Boxing is on its way out.

Post #18   12/8/08 8:14:52AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by RNC

Posted by Mycroft

Posted by Porch28

Does Dana ever say anything nice about another promotion?

He says nice things about Strike Force.

Yes, and Rogan's said good things about the IFL and Bodog as well, which I am sure was Ok'd by Dana.

Doubt it. Rogan says a lot that isnt' the "company line". He doesn't only say what Dana wants. His job is to be an analyst and he couldn't do that job effectively if he asked Dana before he speaks.

Post #19   12/9/08 5:58:41PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2