Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kenny Florian: BJ Penn is ‘human’ and ‘can be beaten’

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

With B.J., you have to keep him motivated. Hopefully after that performance he does see me as a threat and sees it as a potential great fight. I wanted to let him know that I was there and that’s how I feel about him…. I know I have a lot to learn and a lot to still improve upon, but at the end of the day, B.J. Penn is human. If he’s human, that means he can be beaten and, with the trainers that I have, I feel that anyone can be beat. I know that I’ll figure out a way to do it.”

Kenny Florian talks about the reason he called out UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn during his post-fight comments after defeating Joe Stevenson at UFC 91: “Couture vs. Lesnar” via first round submission (rear naked choke) to earn the title shot. It was all to keep “The Prodigy” interested in the challenges that still remain in the 155-pound class — Penn is set to fight Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94 on January 31 for his 170-pound belt. If Penn sticks around the division Florian will be his next opponent, which would also serve as Florian’s second crack at the crown — he dropped a unanimous decision to Sean Sherk in 2006 for the vacant division title. Penn also already has four defeats on his professional record (Jens Pulver, Lyoto Machida, Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre).

Post #1   11/30/08 11:45:55PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think Kenny needs to use that Muay Thai of his in this fight. I can't wait for this fight, I just hope it doesnt end quick. It needs to go like atleast 3 rounds.

Post #2   11/30/08 11:54:09PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After BJ v GSP I think they both need to defend the belts (if GSP has his) against Florian and Alves respectively. If GSP wins both (and I think he will) then if they want to do GSP v A Silva then I understand. However I think that it would have to be at a catch wiegt of 180lbs. I think it would be cooler if A Silva went ahead and fought at LHW, then defended his belt against Yushin, then anothe LHW fight, then defend against the winner of the TUF coaches. Silva would still have 2 fights left after that which could be a title shot at LHW, and a super fight with GSP....then let the man retire.

Post #3   11/30/08 11:57:07PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

After BJ v GSP I think they both need to defend the belts (if GSP has his) against Florian and Alves respectively. If GSP wins both (and I think he will) then if they want to do GSP v A Silva then I understand. However I think that it would have to be at a catch wiegt of 180lbs. I think it would be cooler if A Silva went ahead and fought at LHW, then defended his belt against Yushin, then anothe LHW fight, then defend against the winner of the TUF coaches. Silva would still have 2 fights left after that which could be a title shot at LHW, and a super fight with GSP....then let the man retire.

I agree with everything you said about GSP and BJ defending their belts after this fight is over, however, I am in disagreement about the GSP vs Silva fight so quickly after GSP vs BJ, and about your catchweight comment.

If GSP fights Anderson Silva for his belt there should not be a catch weight. If GSP is just looking for a superfight then cool, they can do a catch weight at 180. But if he wins he doesn't get the belt. If he wants the MW belt, then GSP can weigh in at 172 if he really wants, but Silva is entitled to weigh in at 186 pounds. There is not a catch weight for anyone else, if GSP wants the belt, there shouldn't be for him either.

Post #4   12/1/08 12:39:52AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Even if BJ dosnt win Alves will beat GSP and BJ will maul Kenny worse than Sherk did.

Last edited 12/1/08 1:05AM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   12/1/08 1:04:41AM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Even if BJ dosnt win Alves will beat GSP and BJ will maul Kenny worse than Sherk did.

I know this is MMA math, but Alves is not beating GSP. If he has a weakness it's his ground game, big strong wrestler is going to put him on his back and pound him out to the stoppage or the tapout. Jon Fitch did it do him in pretty convincing fashion, and then GSP took Fitch apart hard. You rematch Fitch and Alves I give Thiago no chance. So, going to be a good fight but GSP is ww champ for a while yet. And I give Kenny a good shot against BJ, I see him as the most legitimate guy he would have to defend against yet, but first he will have to go through Sherk. I wouldn't have given Kenny odds to be Shawn a while back, but after seeing how he handled Stevenson, like some can, I see him beating Sherk on his superior Muay Thai leading to a tapout.

Post #6   12/1/08 1:55:10AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:
dont think so

Last edited 12/1/08 2:34AM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   12/1/08 2:15:56AM   

Matimus

Banned

Matimus Avatar

Career:341-187
Chips:
Dont doubt kennys muay thai, he learned from the best

Post #8   12/1/08 6:41:35AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
B.J can be beaten. Just not by Kenny. I think Penn trumps him in every area other than cardio.

Post #9   12/1/08 7:41:18AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Kenny has a much better chance than people are giving him. He poses a diffcult challenge for Penn stylistically. I'll probably get burned for this one, but I think Kenny will pull off a major upset.

On the feet Kenny is the more well rounded striker. BJ has some very highly touted boxing skills. I think Kenny's footwork has become outstanding under the tutelage of Delograte as well as his use of the distance. I think BJ will have a difficult time finding the range with his jab.

The wrestling I think is about even. It's the area I think Penn would have to excel at in this fight, because on the mat he is the superior grappler. Kenny is no slouch though, and is a well accomplished grappler in his own right. I don't think he's going to sub Kenny.

This is a much better matchup for Kenny than Sherk was, so I don't think MMA math plays a factor here. Outside of Sherk Kenny's only other losses have really been due to him fighting outside of his weight class.

Cardio-wise I think it's a no-brainer. It would also--I'm sure factor greatly into Kenny's gameplan, and his footwork would compliment this strategy well.

I'm going to o with Kenny for an upset, especially if there are underdog points. I'll probably bet some really money as well, since the odds I think will be at last around 350+.

Post #10   12/1/08 8:38:14AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Wolfie I agree with you 100%. I'm picking Kenny to beat BJ (after GSP does).

Kenny's movement reminds me a lot of Machida (who BJ also has a loss to). He's come a long ways and his standup is top notch. BJ has that one crazy jab but beyond that, I see Kenny winning the standup.

If they do go to the ground, which Kenny should not, he should be able to hold his own, at least defensively.

Post #11   12/1/08 9:11:44AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

...The wrestling I think is about even...

You just lost all credibility.

Post #12   12/1/08 9:25:00AM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Kenny has a much better chance than people are giving him. He poses a diffcult challenge for Penn stylistically. I'll probably get burned for this one, but I think Kenny will pull off a major upset.

On the feet Kenny is the more well rounded striker. BJ has some very highly touted boxing skills. I think Kenny's footwork has become outstanding under the tutelage of Delograte as well as his use of the distance. I think BJ will have a difficult time finding the range with his jab.

The wrestling I think is about even. It's the area I think Penn would have to excel at in this fight, because on the mat he is the superior grappler. Kenny is no slouch though, and is a well accomplished grappler in his own right. I don't think he's going to sub Kenny.

This is a much better matchup for Kenny than Sherk was, so I don't think MMA math plays a factor here. Outside of Sherk Kenny's only other losses have really been due to him fighting outside of his weight class.

Cardio-wise I think it's a no-brainer. It would also--I'm sure factor greatly into Kenny's gameplan, and his footwork would compliment this strategy well.

I'm going to o with Kenny for an upset, especially if there are underdog points. I'll probably bet some really money as well, since the odds I think will be at last around 350+.

100% agree, plus coming off what will surely be a grinding blood bath against GSP can't be anything but negative for his next fight. BJ is a prideful person and I think the loses really get to him. He's very much like GSP in that regard, the fight game is mental to a large degree and it's a crap shoot if either of those guys have their head screwed on straight going into the fight.

heh, only place we differ is on the use of real money, times are too tough for that!

Post #13   12/1/08 9:28:11AM   

R-Bandd

Learning to Sprawl

R-Bandd Avatar

Career:461-367
Chips:

Post #14   12/1/08 10:54:51AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips: