Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Filho Working On Higher Priority

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Paulo Filho started his career with 16 straight wins en route to being considered one of the top middleweights in the world, but much of that mystique came crashing down after a loss to Chael Sonnen recently.

Now that his official release from the WEC has come down, Filho's manager, Ed Soares, told MMAWeekly Radio that he wasn't surprised by what happened after his fighter's strange performance in the cage that night.

LINK

Post #1   11/30/08 7:11:15AM   

Bobby-B-Bonkers

banned

Bobby-B-Bonkers Avatar

Career:111-50
Chips:
I was never a big fan of him, but I wish him well.

Post #2   11/30/08 7:15:06AM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
Yeah I have had personal issues which affected my work. The important thing is he learns his lesson. If he just moves to another org. and doesn't change then I will lose respect.

Post #3   11/30/08 11:03:31AM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
I like Paulo I just think his own mystique went to his head. That's the problem with some of these guys, for years he wouldn't go the UFC for fear of them wanting him to face his good friend Anderson. Now his best years could be potentially behind him and, like the article reads, he has lost much of his mystique. It's pretty much the same thing that happened to Shogun, spending all those great years in Wanderlei's shadow and now he is injured past his physical prime. Must be something with the Brazilian fighters.

I think Filho needs to get back to basics. Needs to hook up with his friends at Black House and find himself as a fighter. I respect his BJJ game a lot but I think he would get creamed in by higher up UFC guys because his game just isn't well rounded enough. There is definitely a spot for strong BJJ guys at 185, look at Maia and Palhares, difference is those guys bring mental toughness and physicality to the table as well (especially Toquinho, good god getting something slapped on by him would suck).

Here's to Paulo coming up again, hopefully in Affliction, the only other place in the world he could find some top 10 middleweight match-ups and much needed exposure.

Post #4   11/30/08 11:14:11AM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by kasual

I like Paulo I just think his own mystique went to his head. That's the problem with some of these guys, for years he wouldn't go the UFC for fear of them wanting him to face his good friend Anderson. Now his best years could be potentially behind him and, like the article reads, he has lost much of his mystique. It's pretty much the same thing that happened to Shogun, spending all those great years in Wanderlei's shadow and now he is injured past his physical prime. Must be something with the Brazilian fighters.

I think Filho needs to get back to basics. Needs to hook up with his friends at Black House and find himself as a fighter. I respect his BJJ game a lot but I think he would get creamed in by higher up UFC guys because his game just isn't well rounded enough. There is definitely a spot for strong BJJ guys at 185, look at Maia and Palhares, difference is those guys bring mental toughness and physicality to the table as well (especially Toquinho, good god getting something slapped on by him would suck).

Here's to Paulo coming up again, hopefully in Affliction, the only other place in the world he could find some top 10 middleweight match-ups and much needed exposure.

I have a feeling Paulo isn't going to fight at middleweight anymore and going to move up to light heavyweight after the disaster at not making weight last time. I never thought about Paulo and Anderson kind of being like Shogun and Wanderlei but you're pretty right there, although Shogun eventually got the recognition, it was a really hard road and made for injuries and tough times for Shogun. I don't know about injuries but living in Anderson's shadow probably would make someone more prone to drug addiction, depression, weight gain (things I think we all probably saw in Paulo), you might love your friends but you gotta fight them if the opportunity comes up, I think a fight between Paulo and Anderson would pay big bucks for Paulo and somewhat launch him into the spotlight, but if he were to get knocked out he would probably get dumped off the top 10 list completely.

Post #5   11/30/08 1:13:55PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by kasual

I have a feeling Paulo isn't going to fight at middleweight anymore and going to move up to light heavyweight after the disaster at not making weight last time. I never thought about Paulo and Anderson kind of being like Shogun and Wanderlei but you're pretty right there, although Shogun eventually got the recognition, it was a really hard road and made for injuries and tough times for Shogun. I don't know about injuries but living in Anderson's shadow probably would make someone more prone to drug addiction, depression, weight gain (things I think we all probably saw in Paulo), you might love your friends but you gotta fight them if the opportunity comes up, I think a fight between Paulo and Anderson would pay big bucks for Paulo and somewhat launch him into the spotlight, but if he were to get knocked out he would probably get dumped off the top 10 list completely.

I would like to see Paulo and Anderson fight as well, don't get me wrong. I see this as being pretty unlikely after, like you said, the disaster of that Sonnen fight. The UFC seems hell bent on cutting under performing fighters so I don't expect to see him invited to the dance until he wins a few times in other promotions. I feel for this to be viable for him it should be at 185. His inability to make weight is something that can be fixed by a good camp and a rigorous training regime. I don't see 205 really being viable for him if he wants to fight at the top tier. It seems as though the top guys at that weight are huge 205's like Griffin, Thiago Silva and Randy (yes, I consider Randy a true 205) and Philo's frame, while it would support that weight would be too small to be really competitive.

Post #6   11/30/08 3:20:01PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
What are his personal issues, I thought I read somewhere that he was hooked on pills. If so my opinion is F it.....he did it to himself.

Post #7   11/30/08 3:23:25PM