Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shawn Tompkins " He's already like a son to me"

Print  
Posted By Message

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
"I moved Junie Browning into my house about a month and a half ago. I've kind of taken him under my wing and kept an eye on his training, career and his (laughs) social life I guess. I see big things from this kid and he's young; he's only 21. I think he just needed the right people to surround him and he's doing a great job. I'm real proud of him," stated Xtreme Couture trainer Shawn Tompkins as he talked about Junie Browning and gave an update on several other fighters he works with, including Randy Couture, Wanderlei Silva, John Alessio, Chris Horodecki and much more.

LInk

Post #1   11/25/08 5:46:33PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good read. Thank you.

Post #2   11/25/08 6:31:57PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I didnt grow up in a trailerpark, but i grew up in a pretty ghetto area where there were a lot of kids like junie..... screwed up family, screwed up environment, screwed up personality. I guess its one of the reasons why when people were hating on junie, i just kinda sat back and waited to see if he had what it took to pull himself together. I saw flashes of a person and a fighter who simply wanted respect and didnt know how to carry himself when faced with adversity.

Its obviously far to early to tell, but this kid is starting to remind me of a cinderella story. The guy was a mess, and realistically had a better chance of getting shot or ending up in jail than ever holding a belt in a top10 organization. He almost got himself kicked off the show several times... but props to dana for doing what he did. Even I questioned that decision, but whatever made him let Junie stay.. probably saved junie's life... and considering his age, talent, and that he's now training at xtreme couture, this kid could be a future contender at 155.

happy to hear it

Post #3   11/25/08 7:05:55PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,189-4,122
Chips:
Well I haven't seen any of that.....just a kid who freaks out when he drinks, sells out his team mate to the opponent the day before a fight, and shows a complete lack of dedication and endurance in a profession that he is supposed to be a upcoming star in. Not to mention his interview with his brother where they both acted completely conceited and even spoke in the third person.....if Junie is going to impress me, I doubt it's going to be during his stay in the TUF House.

Post #4   11/25/08 7:31:37PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
Junie is gonna be a beast in like 5 year

Post #5   11/25/08 8:34:46PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i hope he gets it together, he is tough as **** and obviously has immense talent, all he needs is his head on straight and Tompkins seems to think he's getting there.

Post #6   11/25/08 8:38:15PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've said it since the beginning that I've been extremely close to a person like Junie. It's hard when you know a person like that to really judge them. One part of you wants to hate their guts, but then another part of you sees a real person inside there at moments. It's those little moments that make you want to hope for those people and do what you can for them. Kind of like a stupid girl that always dates losers. Usually it's because she sees things like that.

I give Junie the benefit of the doubt in this one. Although I'm glad I don't know him personally because I don't know if I could be a big enough man to give him a chance if I knew him in person.

Anyway, though- here's to hoping he gets it all straight whether he becomes great at MMA or not.

Post #7   11/25/08 11:28:17PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
We've all had hard lives, get over it and do something w/ yourself. I don't see him as having a future in a kind of real profession.

If he were just a fighter we would have never heard of him to now have to forget he ever exhisted. Does anyone really want a professional fighter carrying themself this way? If you think this is acceptable and want to continue "giving him props for persevering" then go ahead, but he gets no sympathy from me. We've all got it hard

Last edited 11/26/08 8:37AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   11/25/08 11:41:36PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:5,890-3,660
Chips:
Talk about the worst son of all time.

Post #9   11/25/08 11:49:54PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,075-3,349
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
can you say black sheep!!

Post #10   11/26/08 3:54:49AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I don't want a fighter like him in the UFC right now but, I would love to see him change his life and what happens to a person like him with all the support he's being given he's still very young and he is with the right people. We shall see

Last edited 11/26/08 8:42AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/26/08 8:11:14AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

We've all had hard lives, get over it and do something w/ yourself. I don't see him as having a future in a kind of real profession.

If he were just a fighter we would have never heard of him to now have to forget he ever exhisted. Does anyone really want a professional fighter carrying themself this way? If you think this is acceptable and want to continue "giving him props for persevering" then go ahead, but he gets no sympathy from me. We've all got it hard

I edited your post for fighter bashing. You don't get to say things like "he's a bitch" or "he's a crybaby" just because this guy stirs up anger in people.

I left your post after I edited it and didn't give you a warning because this Junie dude is a source of controversy, but come on, man... don't be throwing things like that out. Not only do you break the forum rules, but you make me have to work harder and probably get crap for not giving you a warning

Anyway, I've had it hard, too. I don't complain either, but I don't know 100% of what this kid went through growing up. Sure, he's annoying, and like I said I probably wouldn't be a good enough person to be his friend, but I'm not going to sit back and judge from the couch.

I dunno, maybe I'm a tard, but I root for people to get their lives straight and make something good out of themselves.

Post #12   11/26/08 8:41:13AM   

SeanMcD

Learning to Sprawl

SeanMcD Avatar

Career:650-397
Chips:
Shawn may have dropped a couple of spoilers in this interview. He mentions training 2 guys for the TUF finale. He didn't specifically say they were finalists but for anyone who would rather not take the chance just skip the part of the interview where Shawn talks about who he is training for the next few months. Its the second to last question.

Post #13   11/26/08 10:43:42AM