Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fabricio Werdum wants to fight the best in the world with Affliction

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“When I first heard the rumours, I didn’t know anything. I had four more fights left with them on my contract, which ran to 2010. But they demanded to renegotiate my exiting contract by cutting my pay in half…. It’s a pity I would have liked to continue with the UFC but now we forge ahead…. There are several possibilities now including fighting in multiple organizations. Affliction, Sengoku and Dream are big events, but I think the possibility of fighting for Affliction in particular will give me the best chance to fight the best in the world, Fedor, in addition to (Andrei) Arlovski, Josh Barnett and several other big names … that would be a great opportunity for me”"

LINK

Post #1   11/22/08 3:22:16PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
sad part is i don't see him beating any top hw in affliction

Post #2   11/22/08 3:34:44PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
maybe affliction will pair him up with barnett for the january card.

that'd be a pretty good fight

Post #3   11/22/08 3:45:26PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I've always hated that people try and renegotiate their contract. In the NFL everyones up in arms when someone sits out for a new contract while the UFC does it the other way. I didn't see Rich trying to renegotiate his contract when he was making pennies while being the champ, I don't like how the UFC tried to do this to a guy who beat two contenders, signed a brand new contract and then lost once. Complete BS IMO.

Post #4   11/22/08 3:54:04PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
please NO Werdum vs Andrei 2.

Post #5   11/22/08 4:07:28PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
this is just a bad move on Werdum's part. he was a top guy and lost to basically a no name guy. he should have taken the pay cut, gotten back on track with a few wins, and then renegotiated his contract again for a pay raise. plus i don't see him beating any top guys in Affliction.

Post #6   11/22/08 4:11:57PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Career:2,212-1,353
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

this is just a bad move on Werdum's part. he was a top guy and lost to basically a no name guy. he should have taken the pay cut, gotten back on track with a few wins, and then renegotiated his contract again for a pay raise. plus i don't see him beating any top guys in Affliction.

Good thing he has you to make these decisions for him. He should hire you as his manager. Who needs real managers when you can get the advice of Bowen50 for free on the internet?

Post #7   11/22/08 4:40:33PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,422-812
Chips:

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Good thing he has you to make these decisions for him. He should hire you as his manager. Who needs real managers when you can get the advice of Bowen50 for free on the internet?

Jeez dude, way to flip out on a guy for posting his opinion. That's what the boards are for- posting opinons!

Post #8   11/22/08 6:16:55PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Career:2,212-1,353
Chips:

Posted by ThePlague

Jeez dude, way to flip out on a guy for posting his opinion. That's what the boards are for- posting opinons!

Unless you know how much UFC were going to pay him and how much others are willing to pay him there is no reason to have an opinion on whether this is a bad move or not. It is pretty arrogant to talk about what is best for Werdums career when you have no real information to base it on.

Post #9   11/22/08 6:45:05PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ThePlague

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Well it's true lol, take a 40,000$ pay cut? What sense does that make when you JUST signed the contract? It's BS that the UFC can do this, renegotiate at any time but if you want out you better wait on the sidelines and fight on the undercard so we can get rid of you.

Post #10   11/22/08 6:46:21PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

isn't that what this forum is for, posting opinions? i obviously don't know the full extent of the situation but from what we know it seems like a bad move. no reason to get your jock in a twist over my opinion. go back to sherdog where your opinions have even less bearing.

Post #11   11/22/08 6:59:26PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ThePlague

Posted by dinex

Posted by Bowen50

Well it's true lol, take a 40,000$ pay cut? What sense does that make when you JUST signed the contract? It's BS that the UFC can do this, renegotiate at any time but if you want out you better wait on the sidelines and fight on the undercard so we can get rid of you.

It's not BS, the UFC is a business and Werdum was been lackluster thus far in his career. Did you near a lot of outrage on this site and others with the news of his cut? No, because everyone was paying attention to Jon Fitch, because Fitch puts on amazing performances, win or lose. The same reason why Clay Guida and Chris Lytle are still UFC mainstays. Dana White likes fighters that put their all into a performance and one that fans appreciate. Werdum went 2-2 in his UFC career, and save for maybe the Gonzaga fight, none of his fights were really noteworthy on his part.

Of course the UFC isn't going to pay 80,000 bucks to a performer who doesn't deserve it. Werdum should have cut his losses and taken the new deal, win a couple of more fights and then re-negotiated. Dana has publicly stated he is always open to his fighters re-negotiating contracts after a win streak, even before their contract comes up.

Post #12   11/22/08 7:07:39PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

It's not BS, the UFC is a business and Werdum was been lackluster thus far in his career. Did you near a lot of outrage on this site and others with the news of his cut? No, because everyone was paying attention to Jon Fitch, because Fitch puts on amazing performances, win or lose. The same reason why Clay Guida and Chris Lytle are still UFC mainstays. Dana White likes fighters that put their all into a performance and one that fans appreciate. Werdum went 2-2 in his UFC career, and save for maybe the Gonzaga fight, none of his fights were really noteworthy on his part.

Of course the UFC isn't going to pay 80,000 bucks to a performer who doesn't deserve it. Werdum should have cut his losses and taken the new deal, win a couple of more fights and then re-negotiated. Dana has publicly stated he is always open to his fighters re-negotiating contracts after a win streak, even before their contract comes up.

A lack luster career? He has finished, GG twice, Zentsov, Aleksander, Vera, and everyones new golden boy Alistair. He's also been in there with Nog, Kharitonov and AA, only being finished once by a new comer. He has a total of 4 decisions in his career(only winning one of them) so he is by no means a lay and pray fighter. 80,000 is not top 10 money, and he is by far a top 10 HW, and was one of the few that the UFC have remaining. Dana may say he's open to renegotiating a contract, but I have never heard of him doing this, look at Jardine, the man has beat Forrest Griffin, and Chuck Liddel, always puts on exciting fights and he still only makes 10k a fight, I can bet that he asked to change that, but it's obvious it didn't happen. Also consider the UFC paid Big Tim 100,000 and AA 160,000, neither of them are any more exciting then Werdum, and Tim didn't bring in fans so don't play that card.

Post #13   11/22/08 7:21:20PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
I agree the only thing he had to brag about was beating Vera and that wasn't to convincing of a win. If these fighters are not happy with the UFC wanting to cut there pay when they don't preform then they need to put some kind of clause in there contract that says if they get on a winning streak or beat top ranked opponents they get a raise in there payouts.

Post #14   11/22/08 7:21:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm with Cmill on this one. It seems kind of crap to think that you sign a two-way contract that is only a one-way contract. That means just because someone loses one fight all the sudden they lose all their bargaining chips? Check out Liddell- he's dropped quite a few fights recently. Granted he brings in more fans, but still... a contract should be binding on both sides.

The UFC fills their contracts so full of clauses that their lawyers should be getting paid more than their top fighters. (And probably are!) It's smart from a business perspective, but it's complete crap from a business ethics perspective.

Post #15   11/22/08 7:28:10PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3