Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Says You Should Calm Down About His Sambo Loss

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Fedor Emelianenko broke his silence about his Combat Sambo loss this past weekend, telling Dave Meltzer that it’s no biggie. Sambo’s just something he does for ***** and giggles. MMA is what he does for money:

link

Post #1   11/21/08 2:17:42PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
When he loses its just a hobby, but when hes talking about a UFC contract Sambo is the most important thing. hmmmm

Post #2   11/21/08 2:23:59PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

When he loses its just a hobby, but when hes talking about a UFC contract Sambo is the most important thing. hmmmm

Yeah that was the only reason he didn't sign with the UFC...

Post #3   11/21/08 2:33:45PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Darnok

Well, he did say it was a major sticking point, if not the largest hurdle. I was actually surprised that this was his response, since this would be considered an excuse by most people's standards. I don't think it's really that big of deal that he lost, but still think it was pretty big news...maybe not comparable to when Rulon Gardner beat Karelin, but still significant. I'm sure that he was pressured by the media for a response and probably just spoke his mind.

Post #4   11/21/08 2:51:38PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Darnok

Well, he did say it was a major sticking point, if not the largest hurdle. I was actually surprised that this was his response, since this would be considered an excuse by most people's standards. I don't think it's really that big of deal that he lost, but still think it was pretty big news...maybe not comparable to when Rulon Gardner beat Karelin, but still significant. I'm sure that he was pressured by the media for a response and probably just spoke his mind.

I was under the impression that he wanted to own his fight footage, and that was the major sticking point, Sambo was something he woulden't give up either but I was told there were 4-5 things he wanted that the UFC would have no part in giving up.

Post #5   11/21/08 2:53:50PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Career:2,212-1,353
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

From what I remember it was never the largest hurdle. It was just one of many things. The champions clause, and the fact that the contract could be cut after any loss were some other reasons. Even if the UFC had allowed him to compete in combat sambo they were not close to signing any deal.

He was just being honest in this interview. He was respectful and spoke positively about his opponent after the loss.

Post #6   11/21/08 3:09:07PM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Hell YEAAAAH
At least. And it's a loss from a bulgarian. I'm so proud.

You know, last year at the sambo world championship Blagoi 'Bagata' Ivanov was the only one not backing off, to fight with Fedor. And it was a pretty close fight. He deserves it.

Here is the bout: http://www.vbox7.com/play:819a59f7
It's poor quality, but it's something.

Respect, Baga!

Last edited 11/21/08 3:17PM server time by MrGreeny
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/21/08 3:16:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by dinex

Posted by grappler0000

From what I remember it was never the largest hurdle. It was just one of many things. The champions clause, and the fact that the contract could be cut after any loss were some other reasons. Even if the UFC had allowed him to compete in combat sambo they were not close to signing any deal.

He was just being honest in this interview. He was respectful and spoke positively about his opponent after the loss.

During negotiations, it was continually reported as the sticking point. I'm sure we all remember arguing why Dana couldn't just let him do his Sambo, so we could see him in the UFC. Most of the other complaints came about after the negotiations failed to come to fruition.

I realize that he was just speaking his mind, which is what I summed up with...my surprise to his response was a result of how people have notoriously taken statements like this as an excuse.

Post #8   11/21/08 3:17:36PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:
This is simple and comes down to two things

1) It was a fight amongst two competitors under agreed rules regardless of pay.

2) Fedor is still Fedor and he lost the fight.

Post #9   11/21/08 3:20:58PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

During negotiations, it was continually reported as the sticking point. I'm sure we all remember arguing why Dana couldn't just let him do his Sambo, so we could see him in the UFC. Most of the other complaints came about after the negotiations failed to come to fruition.

I realize that he was just speaking his mind, which is what I summed up with...my surprise to his response was a result of how people have notoriously taken statements like this as an excuse.

Yes one of many sticking points. Never THE sticking point. I did a little search in the sherdog archives and looked at 2 articles from back then. And in both of them exclusivity, champions clause and guaranteed fights were mentioned as sticking points. Stuff like video rights and fighting in Russia were also mentioned. They were never close to signing a deal.

Post #10   11/21/08 3:27:55PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Chips:
Okay, Fedor. Please don't hit me!!!

Post #11   11/21/08 3:37:23PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by dinex

Posted by grappler0000

Yes one of many sticking points. Never THE sticking point. I did a little search in the sherdog archives and looked at 2 articles from back then. And in both of them exclusivity, champions clause and guaranteed fights were mentioned as sticking points. Stuff like video rights and fighting in Russia were also mentioned. They were never close to signing a deal.

At one point ,it was THE reported sticking point. You can't honestly say "never" when you go back and read a couple of possibly dozens or hundreds of articles on the matter over several months. The purpose of negotiations is give and take and many of the smaller things were worked out over time, as with any contract negotiation. Originally, Fedor wasn't happy with the compensation, yet it wasn't an issue later on...remember the "2 million a fight" offer that everyone thought that Randy was delusional about? Big money makes other issues fall to the wayside and it appeared to in this case as well. On the other hand, for a promoter to pay a fighter multiple times the amount of their other top draws, they become restrictive on other terms. There were times when Fedor was far from signing, but I distinctly remember a time when it was close to being a real possibility.

Post #12   11/21/08 3:56:33PM   

dinex

Learning to Sprawl

dinex Avatar

Chips:
I reread parts of the interview sherdog had with Fedor after it was clear it wasn't going to happen. So unless he is lying and I know nothing about the deal so I have to assume he isn't, they were never really close. I can honestly say that. We are both basically guessing so none of us can know for sure how close or not they were but saying that sambo was "THE reported sticking point" I'm going to assume is not true until you can show me a quote where this was reported. I know people were discussing it on forums and such but it was never really reported that it was the only barrier left between the 2 parts. Maybe you remember it that way because of all the internet discussion on it.

Post #13   11/21/08 4:32:25PM   

ChBubbaBoe

Learning to Sprawl

ChBubbaBoe Avatar

Career:101-56
Chips:
Ok if you want to hear about "the sticking points" then go to sherdog and watch the fedor training for Hong man choi video, where he says what the issues are (the loss and championship clause are the first thing he says, then sambo). Another thing a hobby is something someone enjoys doing, so seriously there is nothing wrong with his comments.

Post #14   11/21/08 6:47:08PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by dinex

Posted by grappler0000

That pretty much sums it up.
Not to mention Finklestien wanted the UFC to co-promote with M-1.
That was the biggest hurdle in the negotiations in my opinion.
That and the fact Zuffa was not interested in any other Red Devil fighters.
I never remember hearing "sambo" was the main point.
Mainly it was the fans talking about how much BS it was he couldn't compete in Sambo tournments.
To the fans I think Sambo was the main sticking point.But to Fedor and his management,and the UFC it was alot more.

Post #15   11/21/08 7:54:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2