Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Fitch back in the UFC and will fight at UFC 94

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

All I see is that Fitch completely caved on his principles.

Post #16   11/20/08 11:03:26PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i agree kinda, but at the same time.. who else is gonna make a video game with THQ using the engine of KO kings/Fight Night.....? no one!!!!!.

all the other ufc games suck, pride fc game was fun as hell and THQ made it.. not to mention that THQ droped Fight Night in favor of the UFC game. This is a pretty good decision by fitch. cause he'll never be in a nother good video game unless ufc makes another one while he's still fighting

Post #17   11/20/08 11:23:41PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Good call UFC

Fitch is a good guy.

Post #18   11/21/08 1:17:28AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

they were just playing good cop bad cop, and as everybody knows dana has no problem playing the bad cop.

took the words right out of my mouth, Fitch signed the agreement didn't he and AKA found out the are expendable to a point.

Dana's quote in the other article pinned made the article, they were acting like they had Mel Gibson and this is the best movie out there. Fitch is a big deal to MMA fans but is not a huge draw. UFC holds all the cards and they know it but they brought Lorenzo over so people do not feel like like they were bitch slapped by Dana into submission

Post #19   11/21/08 2:15:17AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

All I see is that Fitch completely caved on his principles.

principles?! it is business, he did not kill some kids in a foreign country by signing they contract Mr Miyagi

Post #20   11/21/08 2:18:29AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Yup Fitch bluffed and stood up to Dana and the UFC. No way they would cut me, Dana's bluffing. You could hear his shock in some of his first quotes... How unbeleiving he was that they actually cut him. When I read those quotes I was pretty sure he was going to come back and sign on the dotted line.

We'll probably never really know how much this was about the UFC game or AKA's management pulling a power trip, but I'm glad Fitch is back with the UFC. How the whole incident will pan out over the next year or so we shall see, but the UFC made a strong statement today to all the camps and managers out there.

Good for MMA? Doubt it but we shall see, here's hoping for a smart contender to bring some compition to the UFC so they can't pull this crap so easily. (My money is on Strikeforce in a couple of years or so, Affliction I think will unfortunatly be gone in six months, poor management.)

And lol to all those saying Dana's going to be in trouble with the Lorenzo... As someone said above, Good cop bad cop played to perfection.

Post #21   11/21/08 3:14:55AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I find it funny that so many people blame Dana when they only have a small part of the story. In the end the UFC got what they wanted and showed AKA that they aren't the end all of fight camps. No matter how it plays out in the press what do you think this will make smaller fighters think when it comes time to sign. Well they cut almost all of AKA because the refused to sign. So just image what they would do to me. It was a smart move from a biz point of view and showed that no one is above being cut.

Post #22   11/21/08 3:27:55AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I agree it was very smartly done by Zuffa, and as I said it was a VERY strong statement that they sent out to the fighters, camps, managers and agents over the last couple of days. Business wise very good move by Zuffa, and it solidifies them as the king of the MMA pile being able to get a major player in MMA to come crawling back so easily.

I admire and respect Dana and Zuffa, always have. In fact I am proably too quick to jump on their bandwagon, but something about "Lifetime rights" grates me the wrong way.

Here's a pretty good interview by MMArated with Fitch just after he worked things out with Lorenzo. Props to Arial, best interviewer in the business.

Link

Post #23   11/21/08 3:46:20AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it had very little to do with the fans causing an uproar,and more a fear of a "union"

Post #24   11/21/08 6:57:30AM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
This whole ordeal has just been a headache. It sucks that stuff gets that far, but this is a business. So you can't really apply any ideals or preferances. At the end of the day, it's strictly business. Everyone's (dana, lorenzo, fitch, etc) main concern is getting paid. They can all help each other get paid more right now. If finch shifted to more of a problem, i completely understand cutting him. It would've hurt at first, with people on the internet crucifying dana. But they would've been fine. I guess what i'm trying to say is this was blown out of proportion. Every business needs to make cuts they don't want to at some point. With the sport still not in maturity and the economy slumping, its understandable why zuffa and/or dana is on edge about people causing problems. If fighters start to act like they run the organization, they have to be put in their place. I don't mean to treat them like hired guns, but they are employees, not employers. If any one of us wasn't getting along with our boss we'd see consequences.

Post #25   11/21/08 7:41:18AM   

JWest12

MMA Regular

JWest12 Avatar

Career:440-254
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by ohiostate1016

Oh boy, I smell some bad blood brewing...

Maybe it will be aired on an hour Spike special where Dana White and Jon Fitch settle their score in a boxing match.

Post #26   11/21/08 10:36:53AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by JWest12

Posted by ohiostate1016

Oh boy, I smell some bad blood brewing...

Maybe it will be aired on an hour Spike special where Dana White and Jon Fitch settle their score in a boxing match.

Thanks for reminding me of that joke.

Post #27   11/21/08 10:47:06AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
This is good because it seemed really dickish that the UFC was trying to bully people into signing that agreement.

Post #28   11/21/08 10:56:36AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I find it funny that so many people blame Dana when they only have a small part of the story. In the end the UFC got what they wanted and showed AKA that they aren't the end all of fight camps. No matter how it plays out in the press what do you think this will make smaller fighters think when it comes time to sign. Well they cut almost all of AKA because the refused to sign. So just image what they would do to me. It was a smart move from a biz point of view and showed that no one is above being cut.

I think everyone who blamed Dana was right in doing so, he strong armed it like he always does and was going to cut an entire camp for not signing their likeness away for life.

Post #29   11/21/08 1:16:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

I think everyone who blamed Dana was right in doing so, he strong armed it like he always does and was going to cut an entire camp for not signing their likeness away for life.

From a business perspective it was a smart move. Hell, it's practically right out of the art of war.

From a fan's perspective it was a dick move. That's why I buy every major PPV put on by any rival organization. I can't blame the UFC for doing business the way they do (even if I disagree with it) but I can do everything that's in my very limited power to ensure the system doesn't get monopolized.

Post #30   11/21/08 1:22:03PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3