Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White: Anderson Silva Is Far Above Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
They say that GSP can take down LHWs pretty easily. BJ has fought and beat MWs before (Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie), Ofcourse they're nowhere near Anderson's lvl.

I'm pretty sure GSP could give Anderson good run for his money , as for BJ, I'm not sure just yet. I think if BJ is able to completly dominate GSP, he could give Anderson a run. But BJ vs GSP imo will be close.

But I dont agree with Dana on him saying that is far above GSP and Penn as P4P king. They are very close to him. Fedor too, or maybe even above anderson.

Post #16   11/21/08 12:34:12AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by StriderXero

They say that GSP can take down LHWs pretty easily. BJ has fought and beat MWs before (Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie), Ofcourse they're nowhere near Anderson's lvl.

I'm pretty sure GSP could give Anderson good run for his money , as for BJ, I'm not sure just yet. I think if BJ is able to completly dominate GSP, he could give Anderson a run. But BJ vs GSP imo will be close.

But I dont agree with Dana on him saying that is far above GSP and Penn as P4P king. They are very close to him. Fedor too, or maybe even above anderson.

BJ has also fought at LHW and did well against a top UFC LHW in Machida.

Post #17   11/21/08 12:49:07AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by bobby_loco13

Posted by roadking95th

Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP

absolutely ridiculous!!!

bj penn above gsp??
miguel torres ABOVE gsp??????????????

torres is an amazing kidd, and one of my favorites for sure...but that is just insane talk.

fedor number 1 yes
spider 2....ok
GSP has to be number 3 p4p best in the world right now

gimmie my props!!!

GSP is a very good fighter but until GSP beats BJ convincingly how can you rate GSP over him P4P?Were not talking about the better Welter Weight.

BJ vs GSP 1 was very close and I still think BJ won. No imagine if BJ didn't break his rib (which if i remember correctly he did have in that fight).

Then BJ drops and clears out the LW division. GSP is at the lowest weight he can go so Pound for Pound I see no reason to put GSP in front of BJ Penn.

Edit: I agree with the C man about the Machida fight how he did that well is just ridiculous. But must spread the love.

Last edited 11/21/08 1:03AM server time by DevonFoxy
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #18   11/21/08 1:00:45AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
For me pfp is guys who take on people who weigh more then them, BJ falls into the catagory, as does Fedor(biggest weight gaps), and Kid. Of course they must do well against the big guys, but BJ has held the WW and now the LW title, he's fought MW's and LHW's, Kid has faced LW's while he's a natural BW, and Fedor has faced men 100+lbs heavier. I know Anderson and GSP are both huge talents but both are big for their weight class, and IMO now that Andersons going up to LHW he's elligable under my personal criteria.

Post #19   11/21/08 1:05:29AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I dont see why Anderson Silva is so much superior than BJ or GSP.

Granted, I think he is above them now...but not by a huge distance.

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight, fights guys who are 265lbs+ and dominates them.

1 Fedor
2 Silva
2 GSP
4 BJ Penn

To put in perspective. Anderson Silva without cutting weight is only 10lbs lighter than Fedor. And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

How would Fedor do in the MW division? Or how would silva do as a HW?

Post #20   11/21/08 5:27:05AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight

And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

See, you just answered your question......Fedor is LAZY.......Anderson would smoke him!

Post #21   11/21/08 8:47:42AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by tomp6581

I still say Fedor is number one though. The guy is 230lbs and never cuts weight

And we know Fedor could easily drop a few lbs off his waist.

See, you just answered your question......Fedor is LAZY.......Anderson would smoke him!

Post #22   11/21/08 8:48:37AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

i think dana is gonna change his tone after silva's contract is done. he is just trying to promote the next 5 fights

100% true. Props to you, man.

Post #23   11/21/08 10:03:08AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
that avatar is awesome!

Post #24   11/21/08 10:50:06AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by jcubz

I think GSPs wrestling would outclass Silva, GSP is just too small but I still think he would win. BJ Penn? too small and he would just stand and exchange and then get KOd

Not likely, BJ would strike with him for a bit and would probably do alright for awhile because BJ always seems to outbox everyone he is supposed to be outstruck by. BJ's ground game is also better than Silva's by far. I would give Penn a much better chance to beat Anderson that GSP. What does GSP have to offer other than his wrestling? He sure as hell wont outstrike him and even if he does get him down I think he would get submitted.

Word!
Penn has a much better chance of beating Silva than GSP does.

Post #25   12/1/08 5:35:51PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by StriderXero

BJ has also fought at LHW and did well against a top UFC LHW in Machida.

Wasn't that actually fought at heavy weight?
either way Machida was 220+ at the time of the fight and BJ did very well. I felt BJ won that fight and I know i'm not the only person that thinks that. It was a split decision, right? It's been a long time since i've seen that fight so my memory could be jacked.

Post #26   12/1/08 5:41:10PM   

Natedogg42

MMA Regular

Natedogg42 Avatar

Career:235-99
Camp: Drunkin' Brawlers
Chips:
I think there is some confusion here about what P4P means. I've always taken P4P as meaning forget about weight, just look at there skill. So why is everyone talking about weight?

Post #27   1/15/09 4:37:17PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Come on Dana, seriously!

Fedor
Silva
Penn
Torres
GSP

LOL PENN TORRES? Wow... wake up from wonderland and take the damn blue pill.

Post #28   1/16/09 6:40:37AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:904-633
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Anderson has the most acurate striking in the game for sure. His BJJ is pretty good, but i doubt we will see any flying/armbar's or triangles fom him. GSP is not the most tech. bjj either, but he is VERY GOOD at every aspect...boxing, bjj, wrestling, kicking, judo, karate, defense to Any and Every type of attack (bjj etc.) I think the being very good at every aspect,(and getting better by the day) makes him the best pound for pound, whereas Anderson is Excellent at myuah thai, and good at bjj. The question becomes, what makes the best? Is it winning? yes. Are those wins more important than being excellent at every aspect of the game? idk. Kimbo slice was beating everyones ass on the web (except that dude who got beat up on his first ufc fight, and seth petruzelli on e.-xc) does going unbeaten, or 1st round knock outs make kimbo the best...idk, I think GSP being great at every aspect, and winning fights, makes hi a better example of pound for pound...but it's hard to compare with mma, because there are so many ways to fight and win...and is the best sport cuz of that.

Post #29   2/3/09 10:21:21AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i'm sorry Dana, i strongly disagree. Silva is 3rd on my P4P list.

-GSP has 0 losses that he hasn't avenged. Anderson Silva has 3 (not including Okami).

-wins over BJ Penn, Matt Hughes and Fitch are better than wins over Henderson, Franklin and Marquardt imo.

-the MW division isn't as deep as the WW division

-if both GSP and Silva successfully defend their titles it would only strengthen GSP's spot, as a win over Thiago Alves > a win over Thales Leites by a mile.

Post #30   2/3/09 3:02:33PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2