Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

John Fitch Cut By UFC

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Kind of hard to believe they would do this, I understand the business part but exactly how many fighters do they expect to sign this?

Maybe we'll see Fitch vs Shields though

Post #61   11/20/08 2:14:39AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I've always defended the UFC and Dana for the shit that everyone usually complains about like not paying enough and all that, but this caught me off guard. Definitely disappointed.

Post #62   11/20/08 3:47:42AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Interesting info here from Cindy Ortiz, a poster on the Underground that Dana usually uses to get his opinions across (and yes he actually does this, she's not making it up) Interesting to see how this all plays out in the days to come and I sure hope Fitch is back in the Octagon soon.

I just talked to DW and he said Fitch getting cut did NOT center on an issue with the video game and Fitch wasn't even an active participant in the discussions. Obviously, he is parroting what he has been told and if his management told Fitch the video game was the reason he was cut then they are lying to him.

As far as MMA Mania's spectacular headline below and comment on another thread claiming DW "promised" THQ something he has been unable to deliver on, well... he has a quote for you:

"Suck my [expletive]! The day a [expletive] website knows more about UFC business deals I have made than I do will... just [expletive] these [expletive]. If they're headlining their [expletive] in a way that even comes close to claiming I [expletive] said "[expletive] Fitch for not signing a video game agreement" then they're [expletive] scumbag [expletive]!"

Link

Post #63   11/20/08 4:12:16AM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
Dana seriously needs to calm down on the swearing in all quotes that get attention. Imagine the president of any major sports league, (NFL. MLB, NBA) swearing like a sailor in every interview. Show a little class Dana

Post #64   11/20/08 4:20:13AM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,238-810
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
big mistake

Post #65   11/20/08 5:10:52AM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
If this is true I will hate Dana White forever, he has done some dumb ass stuff before that's made me think he is a douche bag, but Fitch is my second favorite fighter (right after Franklin) and if he released Fitch I hope someone assassinates him. And no one ever said we can't bash presidents of companies only fighters, so . But it also sucks because I would assume that means that he won't be on the new UFC game being released in May. I completely understand where Fitch and some of the fighters are coming from, White should definitely pay them for their likeness, but I don't think it is just all about that, I feel fighters are just sick and tired of being bullied around. If the UFC is doing as well as Dana claims they are then they should start taking better care of their fighters. I love the UFC and I know it is because of Dana White that it is where it is today, but he has gone too far. I'm just gonna pray this is somehow fake.

Post #66   11/20/08 7:11:20AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by Bemin

Interesting info here from Cindy Ortiz, a poster on the Underground that Dana usually uses to get his opinions across (and yes he actually does this, she's not making it up) Interesting to see how this all plays out in the days to come and I sure hope Fitch is back in the Octagon soon.

I just talked to DW and he said Fitch getting cut did NOT center on an issue with the video game and Fitch wasn't even an active participant in the discussions. Obviously, he is parroting what he has been told and if his management told Fitch the video game was the reason he was cut then they are lying to him.

As far as MMA Mania's spectacular headline below and comment on another thread claiming DW "promised" THQ something he has been unable to deliver on, well... he has a quote for you:

"Suck my [expletive]! The day a [expletive] website knows more about UFC business deals I have made than I do will... just [expletive] these [expletive]. If they're headlining their [expletive] in a way that even comes close to claiming I [expletive] said "[expletive] Fitch for not signing a video game agreement" then they're [expletive] scumbag [expletive]!"

Link

No doubt that's legit. Has the minimum number of bleeps for a Dana quote. This definitely caught me off guard this morning, don't like them cutting Wellisch and perhaps Cain as that would seriously cripple the potentlal HW division revival.

Post #67   11/20/08 7:28:48AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MMAcca

For everyone who is a bit sceptical on this, how about a second source.

Dave Meltzer from The Wrestling Observer is reporting this too.

Fitch and Wellisch have been cut. Cain Velasquez is about to be cut if he doesn't sign and Koscheck will be given one more fight (against Yoshida) as Dana fells like he owes Kos that much for stepping up against Alves on short notice.

MMA weekly is also reporting. I don't get it. I wonder who these guys will get signed by?

Absolute madness.....

Now i'm wondering.....

So every member of AKA is gonna be cut if they don't sign?

What about other top name fighters, surely more will refuse to sign this ridiculous document....

Also, who the hell has actually signed this document ?

Mike Swick, possibly. He's an AKA fighter but is safe.

Post #68   11/20/08 7:38:29AM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
Yeah this is definitely true I saw it on MMAWeekly now too.

I am not buying the video game now.

Post #69   11/20/08 7:54:00AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I wonder how many camps this contract has made it through? I can't imagine anyone at Xtreme Couture signing it without speaking to the General first...And we know what his answer will be. I know GSP was approached about the issue some time ago during contract negotiations. I'd be curious if any of that has trickled down throw the Jackson camp yet.

I understand the UFC is a business, and this is mearly abusiness decision. But it truely has shades of the labor problems which plagued MLB before they formed a players union. I'm sure the time hasn't come yet; but this is a precurser to full-on fighter's strike. it may not come because of this particular event, and it may not come anytime in the immediate future.

But it's this kind of business practice which will ultimately lead to a fighter's union. I completely agree with Fitch's stance on the issue. And I support any fighter who refuses to sign that rediculous contract. Hell, I feel sorry for any fighter who may have already signed away their rights.

Things could get real ugly here.

Post #70   11/20/08 8:24:49AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,556-1,465
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
like boo, im a defender of all things ufc and dana as well, but this is jaw dropping. when we see interviews from all parties involved ill be interested to see what other factors are involved in this if any. this is incredibly disappointing, but i wont boycott PPVs or the game over it, im just kind of hoping that this gets worked out within the next couple of days and fitch ends up coming right back to them although thats probably the optimist in me. would be a real shame, and not the brightest thing in the world, if the ufc starts dropping big name fighters and former title contenders off of their roster en masse.

Post #71   11/20/08 8:30:01AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Well it's not like Fitch would ever beat GSP anyway, just another Rich Franklin if you ask me.....

I agree with Dana for the most part,.....The most money Fitch made for the UFC was when he fought GSP with GSP being the reason for the draw, Fitch just hasn't made the UFC enough money so why would White pay him more than he makes the org?? It's just good bizz....He will be back....There is no org that touches the UFC so why you don't sign a contract with them is beyond me...

Post #72   11/20/08 8:37:50AM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,579-916
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
Again and again, this is why the fighters need a union...

Sure, it looks like the UFC is going to continue to be the top organization, so signing your lifetime video game rights to them might not seem like a bad idea. But who's to say the UFC will be what they are 10 years from now, especially with our volatile economy.

Post #73   11/20/08 8:39:21AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Also, I don't think this was mentioned before but in scanning the many articles on the net about this we may see even more top-name guys go, including guys represented by a certain agency that represents, among others, Chuck and Forrest. But in Dana's words, it appears that those two are also safe and WILL NOT be cut.

Post #74   11/20/08 8:56:17AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I've been following alot of info on the game for a while now.
If I remember right,the video game likeness rights were part of the reason why Couture left the first time around (notice he's in no UFC games).

Anyhow their was an interesting statement made on sherdog (yes I know sherdog),but I do believe it was at worth at least a raised eyebrow.

Their was an advertisment for the game that listed play as your favirote UFC stars,and listed some big names but GSP was obsolete from the list.
With Affliction being a big sponsor of his,I wouldn't be suprised if he's not a playable character in the game as well.
That's a very loose statment,but I wouldn't be suprised.

Something else i've noticed is this:

on the games official website it states play as over 80 UFC superstars.
That seems like an awfully high number to me.Especialy considering past games didn't even come close to that number,even with crazy hidden characters (Bruce Buffer!)

I herd the game has a March release date (though game trailers I believe still states TBA).Anyhow,I find it a bit bizarre that the official website states you can play as over 80 fighters,yet the only three stars we've seen in action are Quinton Jackson,Forrest Griffin,and Chuck Liddell.
It seems a bit strange to me we've only seen these three characters in action.(Note:Stevenson and Florian have a few photos as well)
You think we would have least seen Anderson Silva,Considering they consider him their number one P4P in the org.
This is my prediction:

It will feature a handfull of popular stars,but the majority of playable characters will be older fighters from previous games.

Last edited 11/20/08 9:14AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #75   11/20/08 9:02:29AM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6