Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Does Lesnar 'deserve' UFC HW Title?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

monkeybrawler

Learning to Sprawl

monkeybrawler Avatar

Career:195-126
Chips:
Yes he dose! He will run through Nog easy Nog won't get him to the ground and is he dose he won't hold him there. Nog has a big problem of striking his face out for people to hit, he did it with Heath and Big Tim.If he dose it with Brock he won't get a second chance like he did with them. Had Brock not got mess over in the Mir fight he would now be 4-0 the fight should have never been stood back up and Brock would have ground and pound him out.

Post #16   11/19/08 3:38:48PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

When you look at the whole UFC structure set in place for new fighters coming in, it should be clear that brock lesnar's quick title shot was a one off. Some might argue that anderson silva and rampage came into the ufc, got one win and then had immediate title shots, but in this example, lesnar's title shot is different as he has 1 previous MMA bought outside the UFC and a win and a loss under his UFC contact. One and one has never earned a fighter a title shot in any other organization before. I don't see why lesnar gets the red carpet treatment. Yes, lesnar beat the champion in couture to get the belt, but he tko'd a guy who probably weighed like 50 or 60lbs lighter than him. Lesnar didn't use any form of MMA skill to beat couture, he landed a shot that caught him, then finished the fight with a barrage of hammer fists. I hate seeing fighters get a title shot without earning it. The likes of jon fitch, kenny florian, Forest griffin, rashad evans and even thiago alves all fighter names who deserve/ deserved their title shots, with no doubt or questions in anyones minds. Have the UFC made a mistake putting lesnar in against the champion of couture this early on ?? ... I think yes, to back up my gut instinct, time will tell. The new UFC HW king is on looking possible future bouts with the likes of noguiera, Mir, Kongo and even gonzaga all of which are technically skilled MMA fighters. Lesnar defending that title and proving that his immediate title shot was no fix starts now....
I just wish we got to see lesnar fight a few more dangerous fighters before he got his title shot.
Heath herring is a vet, i will give some credit to brock, but again, brock used his size and wrestling ability to neutralize heaths game plan to go on and get a judges decision victory. Its not as if he even finished heath that might of raised a few eye brows and made people think, hey this guy can fight MMA. The UFC doesn't give a toss about couture, after all the legal battles that took place, exposing the UFC's weaknesses, the UFC wanted couture of the spot light, holding the belt and representing the UFC. Dana white doesn't realize, but this little stunt is damaging to this sport. Brock lesnar was the quickest solution to getting couture out, thats why he got the title shot.

HE WHAT!!?? He didn't use ANY MMA SKILL!!??? Dude I don't even know what to say to you. His Muay Thai clinch was NOT that bad for a 4th MMA fight, he was smart about how he went into the fight and he beat randy in the stand up game, he even threw a successful standing elbow. We already know he can do decent on the ground except maybe submissions but that could even be better by now.

And besides, Randy Couture got a title shot with a 2-1 MMA record.

Post #17   11/19/08 3:52:52PM   

Sledge23

Banned

Career:34-21
Chips:
He may have beat the champion, but was the champion the best fighter in the class?

Randy had the belt, but there are plenty of guys who couldve beat randy. and plenty of guys who shouldve gotten the title shot over Brock.

But it doesnt matter. The belt was going away from randy anyways. and it will probably get taken from brock soon too.

Post #18   11/19/08 5:01:51PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by monkeybrawler

Yes he dose! He will run through Nog easy Nog won't get him to the ground and is he dose he won't hold him there. Nog has a big problem of striking his face out for people to hit, he did it with Heath and Big Tim.If he dose it with Brock he won't get a second chance like he did with them. Had Brock not got mess over in the Mir fight he would now be 4-0 the fight should have never been stood back up and Brock would have ground and pound him out.

Lol What? I think most will agree that Nogs boxing is MUUUUUCH better then Brocks. Tim's reach was problematic, and Heath hit him with one lucky shot in 3 fights, still wasn't out. I think Nog will out box Brock, when that happens Brock will go back to his base, take Nog down and get submitted within seconds. Easy...I have never heard anyone say being Nog would be easy lol.

Post #19   11/19/08 5:12:26PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

HE WHAT!!?? He didn't use ANY MMA SKILL!!??? Dude I don't even know what to say to you. His Muay Thai clinch was NOT that bad for a 4th MMA fight, he was smart about how he went into the fight and he beat randy in the stand up game, he even threw a successful standing elbow. We already know he can do decent on the ground except maybe submissions but that could even be better by now.

And besides, Randy Couture got a title shot with a 2-1 MMA record.

So you think brock has MMA skill ??
He's a wrestler who has just began to learn the game. It was his brute size that took randy down, his brute power that clocked randy with that punch and his minimal MMA training that got him to the second round. He's not an MMA fighter, he is still just a wrestler who has only just began to train MMA.

Randy got a title shot at a 2-1 record when there was no heavyweights in the UFC worthy of having a title shot. Back then the HW division barely even existed. Now a days, There's a ton of heavyweights in the UFC. Why should this wrestler with a 1-1 record serpass all these hw's and fight for the title, he shouldnt ... !!!!!!

Post #20   11/19/08 5:23:09PM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

He's a wrestler who has just began to learn the game. It was his brute size that took randy down, his brute power that clocked randy with that punch and his minimal MMA training that got him to the second round. He's not an MMA fighter, he is still just a wrestler who has only just began to train MMA.

Randy got a title shot at a 2-1 record when there was no heavyweights in the UFC worthy of having a title shot. Back then the HW division barely even existed. Now a days, There's a ton of heavyweights in the UFC. Why should this wrestler with a 1-1 record serpass all these hw's and fight for the title, he shouldnt ... !!!!!!

Yup, the wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai all fall under Electrical Enginering skills. Brock shouldn't of spent all that time in School, just think what he can do once he actually starts to learn a few "MMA" skills. He just might beat the UFC "MMA" champion someday.

Post #21   11/19/08 7:04:41PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Of course he deserves the belt. He beat the champ, and beat him convincingly.

Did he deserve the title shot? Now that's an entirely different question. Personally I say not at all.

Hopefully Lesnar continues to improve the way he has been, and if that is the case I think Lesnar will be a champ for a long time.

Post #22   11/19/08 7:50:38PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
Do the Giants really deserve to be called the super bowl champs

Post #23   11/19/08 9:49:28PM   

Californiastrangler

Learning to Sprawl

Californiastrangler Avatar

Career:283-202
Camp: SlapYoMama Stranglers
Chips:
I think the answer is simple, if you beat the champion you deserve the title. It would have been like Buster Douglas beating Tyson and saying he didn't deserve it because he wasn't the top contender. The real question isn't does he deserve the belt but how long will he keep it?

Post #24   11/19/08 11:19:57PM   

Californiastrangler

Learning to Sprawl

Californiastrangler Avatar

Career:283-202
Camp: SlapYoMama Stranglers
Chips:
Actually it was world-class wrestling that took Randy Couture down, it was world-class wrestling that grabbed Randy by the ankle when he was trying to get Brock's back and reversed Randy for the takedown. It was good striking that landed the standing elbow that wobbled Couture and it was a Good punch that dropped Randy. You create your own luck so give the guy the credit he deserves. Randy Couture finished Gabriel Gonzaga and beat Tim Sylvia and Brock Lesnar just finished him, that makes him world class. If he is destined to stay on top time will tell but don't try and descredit this guy when he has beat Heath Herring and Randy Couture in his last two fights. IMO Nog, Couture and Arlovski are the only other top heavyweights in the world who have faced competition that tough in their last two fights and Couture is 1-1.

Post #25   11/19/08 11:27:54PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by Bemin

Posted by keith-hackney1

Yup, the wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai all fall under Electrical Enginering skills. Brock shouldn't of spent all that time in School, just think what he can do once he actually starts to learn a few "MMA" skills. He just might beat the UFC "MMA" champion someday.

Only time will tell if he deserved to be in there for the title. I think a world class champion is formulated by a world class challenger. Brock is not a champion in the making, someone like forrest griffin is because he worked his way up from the very bottom to the top. The UFC is falling apart giving ex WWE wrestlers title shots with no MMA credit to their profiles. I bet you provided brock is not spoon fed his next opponent, we will see what his capabilities are as a champion. I'm not holding out for brock, he will get knocked off his crown very soon.

Post #26   11/20/08 11:31:04AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2