Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does Lesnar 'deserve' UFC HW Title?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Kevin Iole's mail bag addresses this issue on Yahoo! Sports.

Brock Lesnar’s win over Randy Couture on Saturday at UFC 91 in their match for the heavyweight title created a lot of interest, both pro and con.

I’ll answer questions about Lesnar’s win and his future, as well as other UFC 91 topics, in this edition of the weekly mixed martial arts mailbag.

My answers, as always, are in italics after the questions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-mmamailbag111708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

My personal opinion is that he deserves it until he loses it. I'm not a Lesnar fan at all, but that's the facts jack. There's no use crying over spilled milk and if he doesn't lose who else deserves it?

Post #1   11/19/08 8:03:19AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I believe it is common practice to give the belt to the person who beats the champ.

Post #2   11/19/08 8:51:16AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I think it's questionible whether or not he deserved the title shot. But of couse he deserves the belt. He beat the champ.

For once I actually agree with what Iole has to say:

I think we saw it in the history of the sport when Randy Couture, who was 2-1 in 1997, was given a chance to fight Maurice Smith for the UFC heavyweight title in Japan. I don’t believe Lesnar “earned” a title shot in the sense like Kenny Florian has at lightweight; however, it was a unique set of circumstances that occurred to bring it about. I think the UFC handled the mess with the titles and Couture’s return well, frankly. Think about it: When Couture walked away last year, the UFC believed him to have a valid contract. They may have weakened their legal position by taking his belt away, so they continued to recognize him as champion and offered him fights. But to allow fighters to compete for a belt during that time, they created an interim title, which Nogueira won by submitting Tim Sylvia. Now, after Nogueira and Mir had signed to fight on Dec. 27, Couture came back. So the UFC couldn’t withdraw recognition of the Nogueira-Mir fight as a title bout, because it was in their contracts and they’d begun to promote it. So it made sense to have Couture defend his belt and create a four-man tournament, with the winners meeting for the outright title. Lesnar clearly got the shot for his pay-per-view and ticket-selling appeal as much as his skill, but he deserves credit for improving enough that he was able to defeat one of the greatest champions in UFC history.

Last edited 11/19/08 8:58AM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   11/19/08 8:53:42AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I think he proved he belonged and deserved the title shot when he dismantled Randy.

Post #4   11/19/08 9:09:06AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No way. He should have to put together a string of 7 or 8 wins against other current champions before he can be classified as deserving of a belt.

Seriously, though...

OF COURSE HE DOES!

Post #5   11/19/08 9:26:00AM   

newfie

Learning to Sprawl

newfie Avatar

Career:275-181
Chips:
this is the dumbest ******* question ever. he beat the champ. he deserves the title. end of story.

Post #6   11/19/08 9:29:01AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
When you look at the whole UFC structure set in place for new fighters coming in, it should be clear that brock lesnar's quick title shot was a one off. Some might argue that anderson silva and rampage came into the ufc, got one win and then had immediate title shots, but in this example, lesnar's title shot is different as he has 1 previous MMA bought outside the UFC and a win and a loss under his UFC contact. One and one has never earned a fighter a title shot in any other organization before. I don't see why lesnar gets the red carpet treatment. Yes, lesnar beat the champion in couture to get the belt, but he tko'd a guy who probably weighed like 50 or 60lbs lighter than him. Lesnar didn't use any form of MMA skill to beat couture, he landed a shot that caught him, then finished the fight with a barrage of hammer fists. I hate seeing fighters get a title shot without earning it. The likes of jon fitch, kenny florian, Forest griffin, rashad evans and even thiago alves all fighter names who deserve/ deserved their title shots, with no doubt or questions in anyones minds. Have the UFC made a mistake putting lesnar in against the champion of couture this early on ?? ... I think yes, to back up my gut instinct, time will tell. The new UFC HW king is on looking possible future bouts with the likes of noguiera, Mir, Kongo and even gonzaga all of which are technically skilled MMA fighters. Lesnar defending that title and proving that his immediate title shot was no fix starts now....
I just wish we got to see lesnar fight a few more dangerous fighters before he got his title shot.
Heath herring is a vet, i will give some credit to brock, but again, brock used his size and wrestling ability to neutralize heaths game plan to go on and get a judges decision victory. Its not as if he even finished heath that might of raised a few eye brows and made people think, hey this guy can fight MMA. The UFC doesn't give a toss about couture, after all the legal battles that took place, exposing the UFC's weaknesses, the UFC wanted couture of the spot light, holding the belt and representing the UFC. Dana white doesn't realize, but this little stunt is damaging to this sport. Brock lesnar was the quickest solution to getting couture out, thats why he got the title shot.

Post #7   11/19/08 10:00:30AM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by stock

I believe it is common practice to give the belt to the person who beats the champ.

exactly.....plus, nobody ever said he's the number one contender, and in many interviews randy states one of the reasons he came back was for big fights and thats what this was a big marketable will-never-be-forgotten type fight....im a lesnar hater, but even i will admit that the guy is extremely gifted....other than the interim title fighters (that fight was already in place when randy came back so you couldnt match any of them up) who else could have made that fight?...kongo? boring and non deserving...werdum? maybe but the ufc is a business, how would they have marketed that for randys comeback fight? there would have been an uproar there....lesnar fit in at the right time and beat the champ, he deserves the belt....now we sit back and wait for nogiuera to tap him out (yeah i said it!)

Post #8   11/19/08 10:16:20AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
No, Big Nog should be the HW champ.

Post #9   11/19/08 10:33:11AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
He beat the champ decisively so he deserves it. It is a no brainer I don't know why so many people are whining.

Post #10   11/19/08 10:44:33AM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,905-1,538
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Yes. He beat the champion. The whole should he be champion thing is getting old fast.......

Post #11   11/19/08 11:58:04AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
He deserves the title, but not the title shot. The real HW champ is Nog right now.

Post #12   11/19/08 12:01:30PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
Yes. He defeated the Champion.

How can anyone say different?

Post #13   11/19/08 12:22:31PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by stock

LOL... can't really argue with that...

Maybe he should have had another fight or so before he deserved the title shot, but he obviously made the most of his opportunity...

I'd really like to see a rematch though... Randy surprisingly looked like he's got a lot of fight left in him

Post #14   11/19/08 12:23:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He 'deserves' it because he beat randy, and he stopped him. But you know what they say. You're not a really a champion until you defend the belt. And i doubt he'll even get one defense if he fights Nog. Nog wins in 1st round by tearing off Lesnars right arm.

Post #15   11/19/08 1:27:41PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2